Au 79

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Barrick Gold has identified 5 million ounces of gold in the DR, elevating a probable total reserves of 18.1 million. This places Pueblo Viejo as one of the largest non exploited areas in the world. The company plans to employ 3500 workers for construction and later 1000 for the exploitation for at least 20 years.

Can anyone enlightened us on what kind of impact this kind of mining has on the environment?

Diario Libre Online

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
second factor will be WHO does it. if the company has a good enviromental record then maybe it will work fine.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I don't want to sound jaded but... it always seems that when it comes to mining whether it be for gems or ore mining companies always seem to have a poor track record. They hire the local people for really cheap wages. The run off from the mines contaminate the waters and there are collapses.

Considering in the DR officials are easily paid off I would assume this is going to occur there as well!

I hope I am wrong!!

Sep 19, 2005
I don't want to sound jaded but... it always seems that when it comes to mining whether it be for gems or ore mining companies always seem to have a poor track record. They hire the local people for really cheap wages. The run off from the mines contaminate the waters and there are collapses.

Considering in the DR officials are easily paid off I would assume this is going to occur there as well!

I hope I am wrong!!

that sounds about right for sure....heck the "i am sorry's" flow like crazy in well regulated america...what will happen in the DR...is probably as bad as you could imagine.

there was a dump that open in a town in CT...they went past the over all dump hieght for 10 years and kept ignoring judge ordered stop rulings...finally the dump was 110 feet higher than allowed and they got it closed...then they were told to remove all that extra material, at a cost of 100's of millions..... they said well now the smell will get too bad if we do that.......and they paid a small fine( in terms of money generated by the extra 110 feet

bottom line.....once you let their foot in the door, you are #%*&!*

bob

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
What was that movie with Julia Roberts-- It wasn't about mining. Maybe it was. I think she won an oscar. The people in the town got sick..... She exposed how the company exploited and covered up all the violations... If I keep writing maybe I'll remember!!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Erin Brokovich was the movie and the water was contaminated and made people sick.
If I remember correctly is was toxic stuff in the water the company was dumping it?

What was that movie with Julia Roberts-- It wasn't about mining. Maybe it was. I think she won an oscar. The people in the town got sick..... She exposed how the company exploited and covered up all the violations... If I keep writing maybe I'll remember!!