Fun Royale/Tropical

Status
Not open for further replies.

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
I was there one year ago and it was great, 24hr food and drinking and good animacion team.. friendly staff good food. Cheap prices, a really good beach house with good food...altho hotel is not on the beach.
However, anyone been there this year?
: p.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
dreadfull dump..........

Hi! Anyone been here lately? Any info/suggestion/warnings?
i stayed there 18mts ago.my dummy buddy was the one with the credit card back home so he was making the booking.
i TOLD him book the gran vantanna as its newish 24 hour bar and teriffic food.
however being the cheapskate he booked fun royal/tropical.the tropical part we were put into first and the rooms to put simply were uninhabital.
little bit better when we transfered to the royal part.
place is LOADED with RANK low life cheap brits.tattooed and aggresive and noisey as hell.just spoke to a us couple who stayed there 2 weeks ago and 2 canadian girls a mth ago and they said the exact same thing.
eg:at the pool tatooed family of 4 (some kind of construction workers from sheffield)with another lovely,lol,famil(to name but two.across the pool,"sharon,are you gettin tose &uckin beers in or wha you silly krunt?"priss offf you lazy tastard an go get em yer self,and so on and so on.
all us and canadian citizens (mostly very polite women i must add)got loads of abuse off these ass wipes the duration of there stay.
one night sobe 1 of them threathened me and i clocked the ogre.
next night him and his big brave buddy,bigger than me i might add came knocking on our door,baseball caps down(real tough).well i wasent there so they beat my friend who had nothing got to do with it so bad that he was hospitalised for 2 days.
when i got back the next day a nbr of us who had made complaints against these people got moved to playa dorada hotel.much better.
my friend dident want to press charges(idiot)so newt night i got pumped up on sugar candy went over to the resort in a cab,found just one of these big brave lads and gave him the hiding of his life.
mow he teied to get me arrested but the security new what they had done to my mate,so between that and me saying they were a shower of the worst kind of biggots and were calling all the staff the n word,i just like them got away scott free.
so my advise is stay away from the really cheap deal places or you will be stuck and have your holiday ruined by degenerates such as these.
loads more places in playa dorada to stay in,but give this place a wide berth unless you like this kind of ambience.

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
Yeah, that sux that you had a shizer of a time.
Ultimately, you could have a decent holiday in a cardboard box if you were with the right people. If the right people are there you can have the time of your life no matter where you are.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
right on........

Yeah, that sux that you had a shizer of a time.
Ultimately, you could have a decent holiday in a cardboard box if you were with the right people. If the right people are there you can have the time of your life no matter where you are.
my sentiments exactly.
i have no axe to grind with the hotel,bar the terrible rooms in the tropical part.food service etc and the security ultimitly were spot on.
but as i mentioned in 1st post just up until very recently i have been told "from the horses mouth"that this is one of the hotels in p.dorada complex which is being marketed in the uk as cheap and cheerfull. no prob with the cheap part,but take the cheerfull out of the equation and your better off paying a few dollars more so you dont end up in a human zoo.

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
Yeah I know what u mean. I almost booked there today for 2 weeks starting March 6th but decided to wait for a better price. They offer single supplement there and I am by myself this time. It was my first choice this time as last time I stayed at the Allegro Occidental and it was ok but the staff weren't engaging at all really and although we met some great people on that trip it was just ok in the end instead of awesome.
I may still go however, we'll see.
It's all about price.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
It is not the fault of the hotel that these people were there or that they behaved badly.

I have stayed there and visited there many times and never had problems.

The Fun Royale / Fun Tropicale is a decent well run moderately priced AI Resort. It offers excellent value for the price. I have always found the food to be very good, the staff are excellent and the accomodations are improving all the time. The entertainment is decent as well and in fact better then many of the higher priced hotels! The hotel management is very responsive to problems as well. They are not free of problems or issues but resolve them quickly.

I am sorry you had such a bad time, but it isn't the fault of the hotel. I have seen that type of behaviour (not as bad) at this hotel and others! It isn't limited.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
my friend dident want to press charges(idiot)so newt night i got pumped up on sugar candy went over to the resort in a cab,found just one of these big brave lads and gave him the hiding of his life...............
mow he teied to get me arrested but the security new what they had done to my mate.................

Wouldn't have thought you'd have minded getting arrested, too much, manunut............after all you have the security of knowing how to behave in a Dominican jail........it would have been quite like old times :cheeky:

BTW is newt night when one gets intoxicated as a salamander?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
No offense,. but I think this place looks like a dive! Was down in Playa Dorada recently and saw it from the bus...that was about as close as I would like to get to this place. There are many better choices in a similar price range...remember, you get what you pay for!
Good luck, have fun!:)

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
FunRoyale/Tropicale is a solid 3* - 3.5* resort with a loyal following of repeat guests irrespective of what a few brawlers and people whose opinions are formed while sitting on a bus believe. I will put my faith in people who I know personally and who are multiple repeater guests (planner and bobfromcanada as well as several on TripAdvisor whose opinions I value but whom I have yet had the pleasure to meet).

I have toured the resort on two occasions and attended the Manager's cocktail party followed by a lovely dinner (courtesy of the resort) and will be spending two weeks there in early May. FR/T are big supporters of Beyond The Beach, having donated packages which we can auction and then use the proceeds for the benefit of the children of the DR, and their Managing Director is heavily involved in another DR based charity Fundacion Patria.

You are certainly entitled to your opinions (as I am entitled to disagree with them and have differing ones) but Fun Royale/Tropicale is marketed as a value location and delivers what it promises - affordability and reasonable quality Dominican vacations.

I have stayed at better (and paid more, sometimes much, much more) and I have stayed at worse.

Gregg

Last edited:

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
glitch....

Wouldn't have thought you'd have minded getting arrested, too much, manunut............after all you have the security of knowing how to behave in a Dominican jail........it would have been quite like old times :cheeky:

BTW is newt night when one gets intoxicated as a salamander?
thanks for the observation.ment to hit x(next night).
i would not have"walked alone"to the police station.the real baddies would have come too.
ooh,imagine the fun the local lads could have had with these bully boys,after i "translated"what they felt about dominicans:devious:

about the hotel,yes its great as i said apart from the fracas.
just hope anyone going there is there when a nice crowd is staying,like any hotel.

midsmikeuk

Oct 5, 2006
Find this thread very interesting and reminds me why I would never consider an AI. I live in England and so for a fortnight in DR do not want to particularly meet any other English people. To me the whole point of getting away is meeting different people from different countries. In respect of TripAdvisor while I am sure it is useful to alot of people I find it very depressing as the vast majority of questions are only about AI's. I know it is everyone's choice to where they go but I can never understand why so many people choose an AI. Sorry if I have gone off on a tangent from the original question but just thought I would express a view.

prplemich

Dec 20, 2004
Hi there,
I happen to be one of those "repeaters" mentioned & getting ready for my next trip there in about 2 weeks. I stayed 3 times last year & about once every year prior since about the late 1980's (gotta love my parents for buying timeshare). The staff treats every single family member & friend we bring with us, as if we were staying as a guest in their own home. So, as much as people we know ask why we don't go someplace different, there's no need. We have such a fun & relaxing time there & have stayed friends with much of the staff, that we don't care about going to a 4 or 5 star hotel. I too have found it fascinating to be around & meet people from other countries.

tazita

Feb 20, 2007
Tropicale/Royale

Thanks to you all for your input! Let's just say, if the price is right, I have no qualms about going to this resort! My only small concern is the amount of people who mention the bites they get from sand fleas or mosquitos, as I am unfortunate as to be allergic. :-( So, will visit with my DR. and obtain appropriate medication in case I am one of the people who seem tasty to those bugs! :) From all the information and reviews, I have gathered that the rooms in Royale may be in better condition than in Tropicale. I don't care about fancy, only that it's clean, bug-free, no mold and that the AC works. Am I looking for too much here? Once I have booked, would it be possible to e-mail the resort directly to request a particular room? I did this with the last resort and we received everything we asked for. It was great!

Taz

tazita

Feb 20, 2007
Roh

Oh, one more thing, I am not familiar with the term "Run of the house".can someone fill me in, please? Thanks!

Taz

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Thanks to you all for your input! Let's just say, if the price is right, I have no qualms about going to this resort! My only small concern is the amount of people who mention the bites they get from sand fleas or mosquitos, as I am unfortunate as to be allergic. :-( So, will visit with my DR. and obtain appropriate medication in case I am one of the people who seem tasty to those bugs! :)
Taz

A great solution for the bites are those new patches you can buy....I can't remember their name but your rep will sell them at the hotel or you can also buy them at a little bar in the Playa Dorada plaza called 'No Name Pub'.

You get a box of about 24 for $15US

They are brilliant - I am also allergic and I didn't get one bite when using them...each patch lasts for 8 hrs

Enjoy your holiday - I have also stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions and I think it's great value for money.

Daydream.

lonetraveller

Sep 4, 2006
Run Of The House

This means that they will give you whatever type of room is available. You do not get a choice in what type of room you receive.

I was there last March and I went with Run of the House and I received a really nice room.

Status
Not open for further replies.