Avoiding buying "protected" land

Hooley

Dec 7, 2004
I have done some web based research but am finding no answers.

In Las Galeras, on Playita ,people have purchased land and substanially completed houses only to be than informed that it is "protected land" and they are not allowed to build on it.

I am interested in land close to Las Galeras (not Rincon, not Playita, not Fronton) that backs into land where signs indicate it is protected by the Dept of the Environment.

Is there a definate source of information (gov't dept, website, and so on) where I can find out what area is protected and what building restrictions might apply.

The historical lay of the land would visually indicate that on one side of the fence the land is protected ( it is left in its naturally state) and on the bit I am interested in are domestic animals grazing and the land has been cleared.

The title appears authenic and not a complex situation. I just can not buy protected land and have bad surprises in the future.

Also, is there any basis to the rumour that you need 3000 sq meters meters of land to build a house. This is a rural area, to state the obvious.

Who do I contact for a proper answer or is this even possible? I really can not get into a Dominican "payment" plan down the road.

PS..... Yes, I am aware I am a brave sole to consider buying land near Las Galeras, I have lived the horror stories through others.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Median Ambiante and the Minister of the Environment have both stated that none of the land near Playita is protected, meaning within the boundaries of a national park (Cabo Cabron or Cape Samana National Monument). You do know that ANY land within the first 60 meters from the high water mark many not have any permanent structures placed upon it.
There is no restriction on building a house on a set amount of square meters here. There may be, but I am not aware of it and in fact, there are many houses here built on 500 sqm or less. However, several area developers have made restrictions on the size of lots within their developments. Before you buy anything, get yourself a good local lawyer who knows the history of the property involved and be wary of EVERYONE and everything.