does anyone know any details about work visas to the U.S.?

Sep 19, 2005
My Gf has been told from her school that she has an excellent chance to be chosen to be one of a group of 25 people to go to american on a work visa program...she was interviewed by the head of this group who gets $2,300 a head for the program...and he said he is sure she will get the visa....he said the last time they sent 25 people to Santo Domingo to the US consulate for visa approval , only one didnt get the work visa. This company or group...( I am not exactly what it is) has 2 groups going in april....

so I have a lot of questions....and while I know they could be answered in time...i am just trying to learn fast right now.

they say that the rent where they are to be put up 2 to a room will be $50 per week. I think they will work in resturants or hotels. The time frame will be 6 months.

while on the surface it sounds great... there are many worries.

One is that she wont be even remotely close to where i live...second is that she wont know the ins and outs of life...and could easily be conned.

plus I wonder about the fee...it doesnt include airfare...so what is the service being delivered for $2,300 US?????

If she gets accepted and goes...will there be restrictions on her travel??

plus can she go home at any time, if she realized that this work trip isnt what she thought( I always worry about the type of people who pray on the dominicans desire to go to america...and their motives)

has anyone gone on a work visa here ? and or do any of you PERSONAL:LY know someone who has...i d like to hear some details

bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Bob I'd be very concerned too. What kind of school is she going to? Who are these people telling her this? Can they provide names of the people that have gone before.

Work in restaurants or hotels and pay $50 a week plus $2300 and no airfare? What will they be paying these students? Is there a written contract? Are they picking only beautiful girls? ;)

I don't have a good feeling about this ;) I'm sure you've heard the horror stories about people being offered work in Spain or other countries as maids or nannies only to end up as, well you know and they have no way out.

If you want her there with you try getting her a student visa if she's doing well with her English and wants study in the US.

Just my two cents ;)

Sep 19, 2005
yeah lots of questions....I told her I would pay until I found out it wasnt in NYC....2 main reasons...she wont be close to her parents nor me, and I dont like giving the up front money($1,200) in cash to someone so fast...this week and early this week..."because" the group only has a few spots left.

You always hear about people that went...but you can never talk to them..its always a friend of a friend....

heck there is plenty of fraud in america...its is untold as prolific in the DR!!!

we all know there are things such as work visas

I never understood how they get the fast track on visas through the US consulate

she isnt in college yet....she missed the deadline for PUCMM...and is now only going to advanced english classes.

apparently the school funnels students through to this work visa group...as a way to finnish off english language students.....because you have to speak a certain level of english to apply

and it is a mixed group....women and men

her father has offered to pay , becasue she was so devastated when i balked at the prospect of sending my gf to some far away town.....AND the fact I didnt trust my money would end up RIGHT where it belonged..

my gf ( bless her heart) doesnt have the worries of losing money like someone who actually WORKED for it... ha ha ha

bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Found some info for you on the US embassy in SD

Below is the phone number. I'd contact then directly to find out how ligit these group work visas are from this school.

Welcome to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo. The Consular Section has two main missions:

to provide a wide range of services to American citizens visiting or residing in the Dominican Republic, including offering online U.S. citizen registration, issuing U.S. passports, registering the births of U.S. citizens, and providing assistance to Federal Benefits recipients; and

to provide immigrant and nonimmigrant visa services to Dominicans and citizens of other countries who are in the Dominican Republic. We hope the website will be useful to you. Please use the links on the left to find further information on our services.

C?sar Nicol?s Penson and M?ximo G?mez
Telephone: (809) 221-2171 | Fax: (809) 685-6959

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Warning

Here you go Bob right on your Governmnet website

Q- I am interested in working in the United States. How can I learn more about obtaining a work permit?

A-
Note that the following information does not apply to certain J-1 (work-study, camp counselor, exchange visitor, etc.) visa applicants. See the next section for information pertaining to the J-1 program.

Most temporary worker categories require the approval of a petition by DHS, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before you can apply for your visa. The process of obtaining an approved petition can be a complex and time-consuming one, so start early.

Be wary of any organizations that advertise quick and easy employment opportunities -- phony schemes intended to defraud Dominicans abound.

Taken from Step 1:? Learn More About U.S. Nonimmigrant Visas

Only a few spots left? Sounds like the oldest con game. ;)

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
this is a stalemate,,,,,,,,,,,,you are between a rock and a hard place...........damned if you do - and damned if you don't,,,,,,,,,,,to save face with her (the important part), tell her you have a friend that is going to help, (make one up), then send her some INS paperwork to fill out and send back to you, submit the paperwork to your "friend", this just bought 3-4 months and in that time she can let you know how any of the other students made out. does she know personally any others going?..............

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Bob,

In the past I have financed this for two of my family members. Not sure who your GF is given the offer by.

The folks I have dealt with in the past are ILC. International Language Center. This group accepts students from UTESA and PUCMM to work in the USA over the summer with the sole intention of earning some money and perfecting their English. I have a cousin whom I paid for and just recently got his visa 3 weeks ago. He will be working in Boston at a Hotel as he is in school (pucmm) studying Hotel Management. This is his second year coming. The total that ILC charges is $1,800. Not sure about the other place charging $2,300. Also, airfare is included in the $1,800.

Let me see what else can I tell you...well like I said. Two of my cousins have done this before. The one that is coming this summer and his sister. His sister came last year. I can only help but so much.

If you have any other questions give me a call. I believe you have my number.

And yes be careful. There is another group out there. I posted something about this last year as another of my cousins was trying to come over but she didn't know English. That group I posted about was for everyone. English and non-English speaking people. Supposedly, they had a great sucess rate but were never able to produce the names of people that had gone in the past. They were charging something like $1,400 without airfare.

I'll see if I get you the name when I speak to her later on today.

Sep 19, 2005
well this is through the language center in Santiago New York Center...which teaches english as a second language.

the fee I have been told is 500 pesos for teh intitial interview...which they determine is you speak good enough english and some other checks..she passed that easily...today they want a down payment of $1,000 US...and after they hear back from the US consulate...and you get accepted they ask for the rest...and it does NOT INCLUDE airfare....and if you dont get accepted...the total cost ends up at 500 pesos ( not including the original 400 pesos)......

well alex i feel a little better with yours and Ricks posting......if they are signing up for the summer workl programs...then for sure it is for THIS summer....and that isnt too far away.

and my girlfriend mention that a hotel is one of the jobs....like a maid

Id love to hear more...folks

bob

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Bob check with ILC. I think they still have openings and it's only $1,800 airfare included. I know there are several places in Santiago that teach English New York Language Center being one of them.

Here is their number (ILC): 809 612-4439

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
And yes be careful. There is another group out there. I posted something about this last year as another of my cousins was trying to come over but she didn't know English. That group I posted about was for everyone. English and non-English speaking people. Supposedly, they had a great sucess rate but were never able to produce the names of people that had gone in the past. They were charging something like $1,400 without airfare.

I'll see if I get you the name when I speak to her later on today.

Name is Uniber Jobs and their main office is in San Francisco de Macoris.

Sep 19, 2005
the name of this company is Connection RCS

out of santiago

anyone hear good or bad about them?

it was all apparently channels through the school...so I would think they would have good contacts for that type of stuff

bob

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
I would have to check on that one. I know SOOOO many people that do the whole summer work program. Family, friends and friends of friends included. I will ask around Bob and see what I can find out.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
I'm on a roll here. Thing is like I mentioned I know a lot about this topic since I have had friends and family come to the USA over the summer for work.

Bob, here is another service that two friends have used in the past:

TIES - The Tourism Internship Exchange System

Person needs to be a university student and be studying Hotel Management for this one. I believe it's one of their requirements.

C

Chip00

My Gf has been told from her school that she has an excellent chance to be chosen to be one of a group of 25 people to go to american on a work visa program...she was interviewed by the head of this group who gets $2,300 a head for the program...and he said he is sure she will get the visa....he said the last time they sent 25 people to Santo Domingo to the US consulate for visa approval , only one didnt get the work visa. This company or group...( I am not exactly what it is) has 2 groups going in april....

so I have a lot of questions....and while I know they could be answered in time...i am just trying to learn fast right now.

they say that the rent where they are to be put up 2 to a room will be $50 per week. I think they will work in resturants or hotels. The time frame will be 6 months.

while on the surface it sounds great... there are many worries.

One is that she wont be even remotely close to where i live...second is that she wont know the ins and outs of life...and could easily be conned.

plus I wonder about the fee...it doesnt include airfare...so what is the service being delivered for $2,300 US?????

If she gets accepted and goes...will there be restrictions on her travel??

plus can she go home at any time, if she realized that this work trip isnt what she thought( I always worry about the type of people who pray on the dominicans desire to go to america...and their motives)

has anyone gone on a work visa here ? and or do any of you PERSONAL:LY know someone who has...i d like to hear some details

bob

Bob - I sent you a pm - call me on the US phone

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hey Bob I'm going through the same thing right now. My niece who is in the university studying hotel management wants to come over on this program and is asking me for some money for this. Like you I'm leery of giving money without knowing if the outfit is legit. I know the program themselves ARE legit, the question is the person "selling" this "package" are they legit.

The one concern I would have if I was you is that as far as I know these jobs are for people who are already enrolled in a university.

C

Chip00

Bob

My nephew did this last year through UTESA. He plans on going again this year as well. If I remember it cost US2300 or so.

He had to have a document signed saying who was in "responsible charge" and that was it. Everything else he worked out by himself.

He got a job at a bodega making US500 a week and stayed with a cousin. He almost didn't come back and many in his class actually didn't.

I sent you a pm - call me to discuss and I can give you the phone number of my nephew's home in Moca so the gf can talk with him.

Chip

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
I know the program themselves ARE legit, the question is the person "selling" this "package" are they legit.

The one concern I would have if I was you is that as far as I know these jobs are for people who are already enrolled in a university.

Why not go directly to the program and skip the person selling it? Not sure if my question is clear. The times I've helped my cousins has been directly with the director/owner of ILC.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
He almost didn't come back and many in his class actually didn't.

This is very true. A lot of them end up staying. I know of someone that stayed, found a girl friend (legit, not "for green card" only) and got married. I had posted some questions on his behalf last year. The visa type they obtain is a J1 and with this visa the person can marry a US Citizen and wait for their "papers" here. Don't have to to back to the country of origin.

Sep 19, 2005
well my GF has gone to the university, but isnt right now..she is enrolled in english classes, but not at any university....I know the NEW YORK CENTER is legit...I just wasnt sure if they researched these work visa outfits very well.....but MY gf seems to think from talkign to several people at her school that this program is legit.....

the crappy thing is the job is in Fla!!!!!!!!!
not nyc like i would have loved.....

oh well, she ahs probably already paid as of right now.....well see if she gets her approval from the capitol

bob