Advice on Immigration to Canada

chago

Feb 22, 2007
advice on immigration

Canadian Immigration

Thanks to everyone who has posted advice.

I have a question.

The embassy has asked for my husbands passport and a copy of civil documents. (They already have medical info and everything.)

I wrote the emabssy and actually got a response I could not believe it.

I had asked if he had sent everything that they asked for. They replied yes.

Then she stated that another letter had been sent out asking for more documents.

Of course I emailed back followed by phonecalls to Haiti and to SD but I have got no repsonse as to what documents they could possible need.

My confusion lies in the fact that they would of received the documents on Jan 14 and they said they sentout a letter on Jan 18th.

We have yet to receive a letter and there has been no change to our on-line service.

Can anyone shed some light on exactly what is happening right now as I cannot get and answer from anyone.

Thanks in advance..

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Keep in mind that land mail moves very slowly in Haiti and DR so if the letter was sent out on Jan.18 don't panic yet.

don't call to much asking the same qustions just wait for the letter and according to other posters the online status will never change ;) till it's finished

Last edited:

chago

Feb 22, 2007
Please Help Urgent

Ok I know I have read this but here is my situation.

Letter arrived today saying we have 19 days to give them the following information. This letter was sent Jan 18th.

Copy of original Birth Certificate
Baptism Certificate
Birth registration
written explanation of why my husand was declared 10 years after his birth...

PLEASE HELP

They said we only had 19 days but we just received the letter..

chago

Feb 22, 2007
Please Help Urgent

Ok I know I have read this but here is my situation.

Letter arrived today saying we have 19 days to give them the following information. This letter was sent Jan 18th.

Copy of original Birth Certificate
Baptism Certificate
Birth registration
written explanation of why my husand was declared 10 years after his birth...

PLEASE HELP

They said we only had 19 days but we just received the letter..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
check the stamp on the letter, what date does it have? call immigration IMMEDIATELY to let then know the letter has just arrived and keep them posted on the progress. take the name of the person you spoke to and write a follow up email stating that you informed XYZ about this, give date and time of the call.

KEEP THE ENVELOPE incase they want a confirmation of a date on a stamp - better safe than sorry.

baptism certificate? does he have one? please note that church law is such that any letters from them are valid for certain amount of time only (i have baptism certificate but should i want to get married next year i have to get another copy of it - crazy. this is roman-catholic church).

chago

Feb 22, 2007
great advice.. I am just afraid that we will not be able to find the documents.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't worry about that. keep immigration posted on ANY progress, forward them ANY correspondence you may receive from DR church/government. try to fax/email them whatever you can.

good luck. i hope they are reasonable in immigration...

isabelle13

Mar 8, 2006
stress

God, this is getting stressful. All these post about Immigration Canada requesting more information about the brith registration is getting to me.

Do you know why your husband's birth was registered so late in his life?

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
Hey

You are having the same problems as my husband is. Everything is connected to the birth certificate issue date. By asking you for the baptism paper is to proove that the birth certificate is actually your husbands.

This has been going on for months for us. Please see my thread "He got the call" , expecially #72. My husband had his interview in September and we are still dealing with this problem and they keep asking for more papers.

My advice is to get your husband to get as much documents from the earliest years and send as much as you can to them. We have sent them: hospital records (first injections), certified explanation letters from a lawyer signed by a judge and his parents, and the most recent is a record from the first school he went to with a certified letter from a lawyer.

Kim

chago

Feb 22, 2007
My husband said it was normal to wait. It just was not a big deal to declare your child. Especially becasue he has ten siblings..

chago

Feb 22, 2007
BIRTH CERTIFICATE Info

Birth certificates (Actas de Nacimiento, in Spanish) are available for all persons born in the Dominican Republic. Certified copies of birth certificates may be obtained by visiting the Civil Registry Office (Oficial?a del Estado Civil) having jurisdiction over the place in which the birth occurred. Alternatively, birth certificates may be obtained by writing directly to the General Directorate of Civil Registry Offices of the Republic (Direcci?n General de las Oficial?as del Estado Civil de la Rep?blica) in Santo Domingo, giving the place and year of the person?s birth. The address of the General Directorate is Calle Paul Harris esq. Horacio Vicioso.

Two types of birth certificates are available: a condensed version called an "Extracto de Acta" and a longer version, called an "Acta Inextensa," which contains more information. Both versions are legitimate civil documents; however, only the Acta Inextensa is accepted for immigrant, K and V visa purposes.

Dominican civil documents used for visa purposes must be legalized at the Oficina Central del Estado Civil, the main civil registry office in Santo Domingo.

POLICE RECORD
Available. A police certificate, called a Certificate of No Criminal Record (Certificado de No Antecedentes Policiales, in Spanish), is obtainable by both Dominicans and non-Dominicans who permanently reside in, or have resided in, the Dominican Republic and who are age 16 or over. In Santo Domingo, interested parties must apply in person at the Club de Villa Juana, located on Calle Paraguay at the corner of Seybo, in the Villa Juana section. In the rest of the country, the document must be requested at the local police station. Applicants must present an original and a photocopy of their passport or Dominican national identification card, one (1) passport-sized photograph (2 inches by 2 inches), and the fee in cash (80 Dominican pesos). The police certificate will be ready 48 hours after it has been requested and is handed directly to the interested party for presentation during the visa interview. Minors without a national identification card may obtain the Certificate of No Criminal Record by presenting their passport at the Juvenile Department (Departamento de Menores, in Spanish) at Club de Villa Juana. Minors without a passport must present a birth certificate.

Applicants outside of the Dominican Republic may apply in person for a certificate at any Dominican embassy or consular post. The turnaround time is longer than for persons who apply in Santo Domingo.

The certificate measures 8.5 inches x 11 inches and has a light blue background with a white border. A photograph of the applicant is attached to the upper right corner of the document, and a wet seal is placed over the photograph. At the top of the page the following words appear in all capital letters:

REPUBLICA DOMINICANA
POLICIA NACIONAL
TODO POR LA PATRIA
DIRECCION GENERAL DE INVESTIGACIONES CRIMINALES
SANTO DOMINGO, REPUBLICA DOMINICANA
CERTIFICADO DE NO ANTECEDENTES POLICIALES

The authorized signature on the document reads: Major Pedro Betances Montero.

PRISON RECORD
Available. Prison records are maintained on all current and former prisoners in the Dominican Republic 18 years of age or over. A prison certificate may be obtained by writing directly to the Penal Court that sentenced the interested party to prison.

MILITARY RECORD
Unavailable.

OTHER RECORDS
Available. Certified copies of marriage, adoption, divorce and death certificates may be obtained by visiting the Civil Registry Office (Oficial?a del Estado Civil) having jurisdiction over the area in which the marriage, divorce, adoption or death took place. Alternatively, such certificates may be obtained by writing directly to the General Directorate of Civil Registry Offices of the Republic (Direcci?n General de las Oficial?as del Estado Civil de la Rep?blica) in Santo Domingo. The address of the General Directorate is Calle Paul Harris esq. Horacio Vicioso.

Domincan civil documents used for visa purposes must be legalized at the Oficina Central del Estado Civil, the main civil registry office in Santo Domingo.

Last edited by a moderator:

chago

Feb 22, 2007
Letter to the Minister of Immigration

'Minister@cic.gc.ca'

Please write as well. Share your experience....

Dear Minister,

Thanks you for all your help in matters towards immigration. I think you may be discouraged to find out that there are many Canadians extremely frustrated with the clarity of the immigration process. The experience with trying to get information and questions answered form the Haitian embassy is one that cannot be any more frustrating. I myself have called there probably ten times and nobody understands me. I am Canadian and although embarrassed that I do not speak French I am completely insulted and terrified that when I call my embassy the person answering does not speak English or Spanish. I have wasted a lot of money trying to get through to no avail. So you would think emailing would be the route. Unfortunately you can wait up to three months to never for a response. For example. I called the embassy and wrote three emails. No response. I then convince my husband to go searching at the airport to see if thee was any mail for us. Thank God. There was a letter. Dated from over a month ago form the embassy. Were we notified that a letter had been sent out No, were we able to contact anybody No. They have online notification but they do not use it, they have our emails and they do not use them, they have our phone numbers and still cannot contact us knowing the problems with the mail system.

The letters that we receive are extremely vague and it is very difficult/impossible to get any clarification.

Please help us. For further information on the problems that people are facing I would advise you to check out the website. Dominican Republic News & Travel Information Service under visa heading. We have no one else to turn to. Please help us.

Last edited by a moderator:

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
BIRTH CERTIFICATE
Available. Birth certificates (Actas de Nacimiento, in Spanish) are available for all persons born in the Dominican Republic. Certified copies of birth certificates may be obtained by visiting the Civil Registry Office (Oficial?a del Estado Civil) having jurisdiction over the place in which the birth occurred. Alternatively, birth certificates may be obtained by writing directly to the General Directorate of Civil Registry Offices of the Republic (Direcci?n General de las Oficial?as del Estado Civil de la Rep?blica) in Santo Domingo, giving the place and year of the person?s birth. The address of the General Directorate is Calle Paul Harris esq. Horacio Vicioso.

Two types of birth certificates are available: a condensed version called an "Extracto de Acta" and a longer version, called an "Acta Inextensa," which contains more information. Both versions are legitimate civil documents; however, only the Acta Inextensa is accepted for immigrant, K and V visa purposes.

Dominican civil documents used for visa purposes must be legalized at the Oficina Central del Estado Civil, the main civil registry office in Santo Domingo.

WOW!! Thanks!! I am glad that we have the correct info now!

Anna, are we able to transfer this info to my thread?

Kim

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
No, Chago, you are the life saver! You got the info we have been looking for for months. Thankyou so much.

Somebody once helped me in which I will be forever greatfull for. ;) When I asked her what she would like, she said to 'pay it forward'. I am trying to do so with the problems my husband and I are having as I would hate for somebody else to have the same. We are all going through the same situation, so we have to stick together and help each other out.

Thanks again with the correct information.

Thanks Anna!!

Kim

Kim,

You are a life saver.

chago

Feb 22, 2007
So if anybody has advice on what we should put in the letter explaining the late declaration it would be really helpful.

So far we only have a letter from the doctcor and 1-4 grade records. Any more ideas....

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
An explanation of why he was registered late would be good. ;)

Parents lived far from registry office, they had no money, they didn't think it was important, they didn't know any better etc.

Best to ask the parents and write that in the letter. There's no magical answer here they (parents) are the ones that know "why" ;)

Then have it certificated/legalized or whatever it is Immigration Canada wants you to do with these documents.

Good luck

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
hello everybody i have 2 questions:
1- for the canadian office which one do they need : the extracto de acta or the inextensa?
2 i got married by civil ceremony first and then 6 months later by catholic church whic act do i have to present or should i sent both?

Welcome to DR1.
you'll need Acta Inextensa for immigration. You'll find that and more info in this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/visas/60392-dominican-birth-certificates-other-documents.html

Good luck