What's the best beach?

hrpainter

Feb 26, 2007
Hello,

My boyfriend recently moved to Santo Domingo and I am coming down to visit him. We are planning to go to the beach for about 3 days, but he isn't very familiar with the country. Someone suggested Boca Chica, but I am not so sure about it after reading some of the posts. What are the most beautiful, less commerical, safe beaches around the country? We are willing to try just about anywhere, no matter the distance!

Also, how safe is Santo Domingo? I am going to be spending my days alone, and would like to walk around the city and explore. I'm American and know no Spanish. This may seem silly... but someone adviced me not to wear shorts in the city, as you will stick out like a sore thumb! Any imput would be most appreciated!

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Being that you are staying in the capital I would go to Juan Dolio for the beach. It is probably the best beach near the capital. If you are going to do a little exploring in the capital, I would advise that you wear long pants. In the colonial zone you will not be let into a couple of places wearing shorts. The one place that I know you can't is the cathedral. Enjoy your stay.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
They give you pareo to cover your knees to go inside the Church. Playa Caribe is beautiful to see but not to swim - waves are too strong. Boca Chica is safe for swimming but there are some crazy people there. So be careful if your are alone.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The crazy people are by no means isolated to Boca Chica, just look for ANY town that sells Barcelo and you will find 'em!

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Hello,

but someone adviced me not to wear shorts in the city, as you will stick out like a sore thumb! Any imput would be most appreciated!

A lot of people wear shorts here - it does not seem to be a problem at all. Just cover yourself up when you go inside the church, that is all. It is a wonderful city - enjoy!