broken holiday at Holiday Village Golden Beach in Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic) o

Status
Not open for further replies.

senyap

Feb 27, 2007
THIS IS THE COPY OF MY LETTER TO ADMINISTRATION OF :
1. Signature Vacations Company;
2. Occidental Hotels & Resorts Company.
SENT ON DEC 20, 2006.

I RECEIVED THEN THE ANSWER FROM Signature Vacations Company, THEY WROTE NOTHING ESSENTIAL, JUST PROMICED TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED. SO I WAITED SIX MORE WEEKS. NO REPLY.

Dear Sirs,

SUBJECT: broken holiday.

I, my wife and daughter were spending my vacation in the Holiday Village Golden Beach in Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic) on 7th ? 14th December 2006.

Our vacation was spoilt by following several occurrences:

1. Learning the map of site and attractions I headed to the Royal Suites area to use the pull there. The brochure of Signature, the booklet of the Hotel itself, the map of attractions and the invitation said nothing about limitations in effect in that place except of ?Adults only?. OK, I am adult enough (47 years old), so I took my wife, and we went there.
As I came to the pool one fellow from the holiday-makers was approaching to me showing his red wrest-bracelet and requested to leave this zone. Some others tried to keep conversation. I did not want to argue with him and headed immediately to the hotel reception, found there representative of the Signature Company and asked why I have to bear humiliation being filling as a person of the lower quality.
WHY nobody told us about that privileged group of people in the hotel I played for?
There was an orientation hour there, brochures, booklets and different advertisements. Nowhere I did not find any clue of this kind of practice discrimination according to the color of the wrest-bracelet (our wrest-bracelet were orange).

2. There are also several other things made me upset from the Holiday Village Golden Beach hotel:

- there is no any sign or warning about the water/ shoe condition: is it safe or unsafe to enter to the ocean;
- there are no any signs showing the disposition of the coral reef into the water. Since they are slightly lower that water level they are certainly quite dangerous for swimmers. I cut myself several times. Nobody told about that on orientation session, there is no information in booklets about that;
- there is quite amateur level of persons of the entertainment group.

I came back home filling tired from deceptive promises, having sensation of the money paid in vain and completely upset.

I am going to publish this letter on known Internet FORUMs.

However, I would like to receive first your satisfactory explanation on what I have just listed so I will upload my letter after the 5th of January 2007.

Please use my e-mail for your answer:

Semionp3005@gmail.com

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Hi,

What exactly did Signature promise you? It is your job as well to ask questions if you are unsure of something. Checking with the front desk regarding the Royal Suites rules for other guests would have saved you the hassle and what you called discrimination.

There are usually flags at the beach that tell you if the water is safe, but if the water is rough then don't go in it. Swim at your own risk. Simple. If you discover stones in the water then move where there are none or put on water shoes.

The Signature rep that meets you at the airport informs you of the orientation as well it is in your package that you receive. Is is possible that you did not read the full package?

Signature vacations is not responsible for the level of entertainment that is provided by the resort. You either like it or you don't.

I don't really see the purpose of your letter and what you expect to see happen, but I have learnt in the past that if you don't ask questions you will never know the answers. You could have avoided many of these obstacles if you had only asked a few simple questions. Live and learn.

curlyq

senyap

Feb 27, 2007
Dear curlyq,

The purpose of my post was not to argue with somebody. I only wanted to warn other people who are going to visit the same resort to be aware of the situation there.
Your reply could be convincing was I never visiting other resorts. Fortunately I am quite experienced with that. I do not have any intention to extend senseless questions of polemic theology since I know what exactly I have to expect from this kind of vacation. I should not, for example, ask questions about any issue of safety (like placement of coral reef which you discover once you cut yourself), and I know to read the full package as well as attend on orientation session. "Simple" ? you are correct. And about ?Live and learn? you are correct, too.

Senyap

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Regarding your complaints:

The issue of the rights to use the adult pool and lounge were apparently very clear on the UK material and website and less clear on the Canadian material and website. This was apparently rectified and there were problems. My understanding was that some people were given the choice to upgrade if available and some were given a small settlement.

Almost all hotels have "privileged groups" as you call them. It is a premium level of service you pay for and you did have that option when you bought your holiday. It is different if you were mislead. But that doesn't really sound like the case. All hotels have various colours of arm bands.

In this case the Tour Operator is responsible for the entertainment, the program and the choices they have made. I have read a great deal of reviews that agree with you completely on this aspect.

As for the coral in the ocean - maybe a warning sign would be an idea BUT let's get real, you are swimming in the ocean and they can't advise you of every possibility.

I know for fact that First Choice has one of the most stringent Health and Safety programs along with the other UK tour operators. In this area I think you are asking for too much.

All in all it does not sound to me like this would "ruin your holiday".

I do look forward to you also publishing the response you receive from the company. I think that would be very fair of you to do so.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I can't stand those crybabies, who are willing to sue anyone over anything... I had many of them to deal with many years ago, when that trend started... Come on, grow up be a responsable adult, and stop blaming the whole world around !

-So what now, you expect all the readers to go along and post how bad that hotel is ?

I guess you will easily settle with some "gifts", or "freebies"... How about a free vacation from your tour-op ?

Self-righteous greed... The sky is the limit...

Some of us live in a universe where there are no signs, no guidelines, no one to hold our hand and tell us how to cross the street... We then have to use a bit of commen sense... And sometimes it takes a bit of pain... It is what they call LIFE...

Last edited:

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
In my 27 years of doing business with the public, I have come accross the most ridiculous complaints. (Pm me for the story of the complaint about the sun coming up in the east!)

2 people can vacation at the exact same time, in identical accommodations with identical circumstances. One will have had the best vacation of their life, the other could be miserable the entire time. Ones' perception of a vacation can be completely opposite of another. I believe some people prefer to be unhappy. They look for things to complain about. Those people can never be helped. You can only do your best, be honest and be reasonable.

That being said, I think the OP is really saying that they had complaints or problems and when explained to Management, they did not receive proper response. They are just looking for a little attention and an acknowledgment that their complaint has been heard and attended to.

This is a tough business, but not without reward of being able to help people enjoy a bit of time off from normal life and let someone else take over life's responsibilities for a while. I hope the OP gets a reasonable response and doesn't carry a bitter memory of their vacation in this unique country forever.

senyap

Feb 27, 2007
Thank you all,
I have learned a lot from your replies?
I just began to understand several things that were out of my imagination before.
People have legal right to express their points of view and fillings even with no much sense in their sayings. Anyway, discussions were fruitful (I would not say convinsing)
Special thanks to Campesina for the patience and attempt to help?
The most convincing, however, was the manifestation of the person spoke about angry woman destroyed his dream vacation (unfortunately, this post has been deleted. Those who red it will understand what I am speaking about). That person was very creative in his anger.
I would like to wrap this post and declare that I do not intend to continue it.
:classic:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I would like to wrap this post and declare that I do not intend to continue it.
:classic:

Peace man !

You just found the Enlightenment !

Now come back down here, and enjoy the good vibes !!!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.