Residency Question?

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
Th list of things needed to obtain residency includes a birth certificate.
Is it possible to substitute this for a U.S. passport or no?
Or do I need both. I read the Guzman thread but Im a little unclear.
The immigration law seems to indicate I need both.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
You need both.

Last month the Immigration Department threw a monkey wrench at the whole process. It now requires that the birth certificate be authenticated at a Dominican Consulate abroad, even for those applications already filed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks god i alredy have a cedula! how could have i been unhappy with it?! LOL
i understand that to re-new my cedula i do not have to do all the circus all over again, do i? i just apply for another one, no more translations and such?
to make matters worse ther is no dominican consulate/embassy in my home country, i am not sure how can i autenticate a document in the language they do not speak at the closest DR rep, in germany?

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
No you don't need to do that because you have already proven your birth nation...You have your cedula and residency..To re-new for the Permant one you need only get a police report from your local police saying you did not get in trouble in the past year,,Take new photos and medical ,pay the fee and wait again...You are grandfathered in because you are living here already with a cedula in hand...They don't expect you to travel back to your country of origin to get a document authenticated after you have been here for a year..Legally...This is something to be proud of...See how quick they change the rules here?

C

Chip00

The directions from the Migracion office here in Santiago say that the foreign birth certificate needs to be certified by the local forein consulate (in my case the US one in the capital) and then certified by the Cancilleria.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
My attorney says the same thing. Take the certificate to the US Consulate for authentication then to the cancilleria for certification.