Flying into STI then travelling to SD

ron22

Feb 27, 2007
So, we're flying into STI (tix were much much cheaper). I've read on here that the best way to make the trip into Santo Domingo is the Caribe Tours busses. About how long is the trip from STI to SD. Our Jetblue flight arrives at STI at 4AM so we figured we'd hang out there till the first bus leaves. Is that a good idea or should we just get a taxi for the whole trip?
Ron

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Taxi would be about 2,000 pesos. Bus is about 160 one way (I think).

The bus ride is roughly 2 hours give or take.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not a bad move and one that has been covered some time ago.

Here is what you do.

From the airport, you take a taxi (somewhere north or south of RD$450, you can and should ask the price before getting in.)to the Metro Bus Station on Maim?n Street, near Los Jardines. About a 15-18 minute taxi ride at that hour of the morning.
Buy your tickets to Santo Domingo (now close to RD$250!) and you are all set. You can buy some snacks there at the terminal.

Trip that early takes 1:45 max.

HB

May 12, 2005
I just took the Caribe Tours bus last week from the Los Jardines terminal in Santiago to Santo Domingo. The fare was $200 RD and the ride was just about 2 1/2 hours with the traffic going through la capital. They showed movies on the bus as well. By far the best way to travel long distances in the DR.

relaxed

Feb 18, 2006
I made this trip last Friday, went from Santiago to SD on the Metro bus, cost was 240 pesos. Very comfortable bus. It took about 2 hours.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeh, Caribe is less expensive than Metro....
The longer ride is just because of the darn traffic going to the Caribe station which is closer to the down town area...

HB

ron22

Feb 27, 2007
Thanks for clearing that up Hillbilly. I was wondering why one took longer than the other. So, Metro is a better bet? Also, in terms of quality, cleanliness, is there any difference between the 2?

C

cd1

can someone tell me the best transportation from punta cana to santo domingo. i am not looking to take the guagua. does anyone know of any touring company that can take me to santo domingo?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There in Punta Cana, they offer tours to Santo Domingo.

Other wise: Do this backwards--this is a collection of directions from DR1 members.....

Directions on how to get from Sto Dgo to Punta Cana by bus

There are a couple of ways to do this:
1) Take a cab from the airport to Parque Enriquillo and ask somebody for the bus stop for Expresso Bavaro (250 pesos per person, one way). Their schedule is I believe 7 am, 10 am, 2 pm , 4 pm. They fill up fast. If you are not able to get one of those you can catch a bus from Parque Enriquillo to Hig?ey (160 pesos per person, one way) and then catch a bus from Hig?ey to Punta Cana (70 pesos). Its easy...dont let changing buses scare you...I had to go this route since I missed the 10:00 am Expresso B?varo just last week. Just ask people around...you will find somebody speaking broken English if Spanish is not ur thing.
2) Catch a cab from the airport to the Highway underpass where you will find this buses on their way to punta cana and Hig?ey. The Underpass I am referring to is like 5 mins from the airport...I dont know exactly how to explain this but the cab driver should know. A lotta locals catch buses at this underpass on the highway from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana. You can catch a bus to Higuey here and from Higuey catch a bus to Punta Cana. (I suggest option 1 cuz you don?t want to be in the middle of the highway with your luggage). Most of these buses pass by the hotels so you can tell them where to drop you off. Good luck.
From what I have read Metro and Caribe Tours does not go to Punta Cana but when I was there I did see buses from both these companies.

Dolores says:

Instead of Parque Enriquillo stop, we recommend people pick up the bus at the Expreso Bavaro stop at Calle Juan Sanchez Ramirez No. 31 (near Supermercado Nacional of the Maximo Gomez). Tel 809 682-9670. That is run by the Sitrabapu union. The bus will take you to the Parada Sitrabapu off of Friusa. From there you can take another of the buses to the stop nearest your hotel. Same rate of about RD$250. Departures from Santo Domingo at 7 am, 10 am, 2 pm and 4 pm. It is about a 4 hour trip.

We recommend spending an evening in Santo Domingo and then catching the bus the next day. For hotel options, see the Santo Domingo section of our Hotel Directory at DR1 - Directories

Metro nor Caribe Tours have scheduled service to Bavaro. The local union (Sitrabapu) does not allow competition and the authorities have been complacent in allowing them to maintain their monopoly.

I forgot that this was in this document.

PJU adds
From Bavaro area to Santo Domingo
9-01-07

The bus station (parada) is next door to the Politur (Police Station) near the "Friusa" crossroad where the Texaco station is located. The buses are express, Bavaro-Santo Domingo. Departures are 7-10 am and 2 - 4 pm. The fare is around RD$ 230. The trip is about 3.5 - 4 hours. Be sure you request the express-because local traffic buses share the station with the express. Note: The express coach departs from the left side of the terminal as you face it from the street and the ticket office access is on the left side of the building. Seating is first come first serve, arrive at least one half hour before departure time.

Regards,
PJT

Hope this helps...
HB