Las Canas In La Mulata Sosua

sunlover23

Sep 13, 2005
Hi. I am interested in buying on this complex but have heard there are problems with electrics and false promises about the amenities,eg the gym and spa.Can anyone living there fill me in please? Any advice too would be welcome.
Are prices negotiable and does anyone know of an owner desperate to sell there?

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Domrepadmirer, Las Canas now has 24 hour power. No problem with that. The gym and spa are planned amenities, but have not been started yet. However, there is a massage center (Massage by Ingred) specializing in relaxing massage, deep muscle massage, aromatherapy, body wraps, exfoliation, shiatsu, etc. Just inquire at reception for rates and appointments.

Las Canas has become a very nice residential comunity with a mix of families with children in International School, young couples, older couples, single men and single women. Some working in the area, some working out of their apartment via internet, some retired and some just enjoying their caribbean vacation home.

I suggest you rent an apartment for a few months to find out if Las Canas is the right place for you. It isn't necessary to jump right in and invest your hard earned money into something you may not ever acclimate to. I am confident you will be happy with the residential style of living here.

If you have questions, feel free to contact me. 809-571-1994

Judy Rae, General Manager

Last edited:

sunlover23

Sep 13, 2005
Las Canas...Imfo needed please

Many thanks for that.
My concern re electrics is that I have been told there is a lot of faulty wiring in the apartments causing problems.The imformation came from this message board from owners and tenants living on Las Canas.
Is there a completion date for the gym and spa please?

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
I am not aware of faulty wiring, in general. There may be an isolated case of a problem, as in any large facility, but it would be fixed by our staff. The electricity problem is the same as most places in this area...power can come in from the street over and under the normal voltage. That is an edenorte problem and we can't control it. If you have sensitive equipment, I would suggest putting a UPS on it or buying an "elevador" to keep the voltage going in to your items at a constant level.

There is no date for the completion of a gym or spa. It will be contracted out the same as the current Massage business, restaurant and pool bar. They are independently owned. We have space available for anyone who might want to open a gym or spa, independant of the Las Canas business, itself.

I understand there were problems with past management. I can assure you, I listen to all complaints and suggestions and act, within reason, to correct problems.

As I stated earlier, feel free to call me, or e-mail lascanasdotnet@yahoo.com if you have other particular questions or concerns.

Last edited:

Jennifer

Jul 9, 2002
I live at Las Ca?as and there are no electrical problems here. We have 24 hour power, the pool is gorgeous, the manager is responsive and the tranquility needs to be lived to be believed.
In my 17 years here in Sosua I have lived in about 18 different places and this is by far the most comfortable.

Mark835

Nov 28, 2005
Las Canas

I am currently on vaction in my condo at Las Canas and i for one can say that the place has come a lot since Judy has taken over.Electricity and wireless internet are now fully working 24/7.Any maintenance issues are rare but are sorted out quickly and with a smile.This place truly has to be seem to be believed, where else do you get a 1.2 million gallon pool to yourself.Buying here was the best investment i have made and now that judy has the place well managed i wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

sunlover23

Sep 13, 2005
Title Deeds

Thankyou.
Could you tell me please Judy or anyone who has purchased on Las Canas,whether there is a problem with getting the Title Deeds?I have been told deposits are only being taken as there is a delay.This would not be any use to me as I want to actually buy and seal the deal over a 2 week stay in April.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
As with all property transactions, it takes time to acquire all the necessary documentation to properly designate the nature of the business. In this case, there is a change in design from hotel to condominium and each of the government agencies involved take their particular steps to insure the proper transferrence is completed.

The general title has been transferred, in proper order, to the current owners and I have that document, as well as receipts of taxes paid and receipts from the Tribunal de Tierras indicating the individual titles are being prepared. You are welcome to view these documents in my office.

There ARE people here who have paid, in full, for their units and are enjoying all the benefits of their decision to purchase. I am confident there are no unforseen problems.

spaceman

Jan 5, 2006
Hi, I was just wondering how far Las Canas is from the beach and shops in Sosua, how long would it take to walk? The property sounds really nice but we would not have a car, so I don't know if this property is a possible option for us.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi, I was just wondering how far Las Canas is from the beach and shops in Sosua, how long would it take to walk? The property sounds really nice but we would not have a car, so I don't know if this property is a possible option for us.
It would be a bit too far to walk.
You can walk to the corner (approx 5 minutes) and take a mtoconcho.
If you have a phone or access to one, you can have a favorite motoconcho driver come and get you whenever you need.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Las Canas has a scheduled shuttle service in place now. A trip downtown in the morning, and one in the afternoon. Other times on request. The receptionists can arrange taxi or motor concho anytime, from 8 am til about 9 pm. There is also a good taxi service number posted for after hours.

BloatedLiver

Dec 8, 2006
i went up to las canas last week for taco tuesday and had a great evening meeting everyone.

the people i talked with seemed to enjoy living there and since i was in need of an apartment for six months i moved in on friday.

so far so good.

the power has gone out once since i arrived but the generator kicked in within 10 seconds.

also my airconditioner was only blowing warm air so i talked to judy in the morning and it was fixed with a new compressor by the afternoon.

im looking forward to spending the summer here.

kram99

Mar 3, 2007
I went to Las Canas a few weks ago to check-out the property, and it looks really nice and well maintained. I did have a few issues being that Im a American and use to a different standard. 1) Hot water heater are very small, a 6 gallon tank supplies 3 apartments. 2) The stove is only, what we call a 4 burner hot plate. 3) The refrigerators are mini friges the kind you find in a mini bar in your hotel. 4) The distance to central Sousa, the beach, night clubs and bars, and supermarket is not convenant wtihout a mode of transportation.This review is in no way meant to criticize the apartments at Las Canas, it is solely information that I have presonal knownlege of and am passing it onto any person who has intrest in it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I went to Las Canas a few weks ago to check-out the property, and it looks really nice and well maintained. I did have a few issues being that Im a American and use to a different standard. 1) Hot water heater are very small, a 6 gallon tank supplies 3 apartments. 2) The stove is only, what we call a 4 burner hot plate. 3) The refrigerators are mini friges the kind you find in a mini bar in your hotel. 4) The distance to central Sousa, the beach, night clubs and bars, and supermarket is not convenant wtihout a mode of transportation.This review is in no way meant to criticize the apartments at Las Canas, it is solely information that I have presonal knownlege of and am passing it onto any person who has intrest in it.

Being an American you can fix all four of these problems by going somewhere closer to Sosua and paying a ?Gringo Price? (American Price). Or you can buy the first 3 items on your list for a small price and purchase an apartment in Las Canas for much less. As for Number 4, you can purchase a place in Sousa with a built in Disco in your living room with the music you will hear 24 hours a day.

sunlover23

Sep 13, 2005
Las Canas is a perfect place to stay or live

I want to put the record straight after finding this very old thread of mine still in a prominent position on Google.It questions the efficient running of Las Canas.

Since writing this message I have been to Las Canas,La Mulata and was delighted with the way it is so efficiently run by Judy Rae and her team.As a result of this I bought an apartment.

It is a beautiful place and I couldn't be happier.