Dominicans in Greater Boston and RI

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
Hello, people

I am a 23-year-old future MBA student at Brandeis University in Waltham, MA. Although I will begin my studies this September 2007, I will travel to the States, say, on May 25. I have many relatives in RI and a pretty much guaranteed social network once I arrive in Providence, but since I have never been in the States before, I would like to have my options open. I have lived my entire live in the DR, so this relocation to the U.S. will be a major change in my life.

Maybe some of you posters reading this are Dominican or belong to my age group. If you feel alluded to, let me know.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Oh man you are in for a surprise. Just go to Providence. I won't say no more...

...you know what, I will. Providence is like a mini Washington Heights in RI. The Dominican population there keeps growing and growing.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Yeah you will see all the caribbean colored house (pink, peach, high blue) lol
and get your platanos with mondongo and cuchifrito on the side to go.

In MA, Lawrence, Peabody and surrounding areas that are almost all dominicans. If you want to tap into it all my suggestion is to visit some of the Latino and Caribbean clubs at Brandies. A good percentage of the Latino/Caribbean students there will also come from the surrounding areas. Hook up with them and they will show you the lay of the land.

Your biggest obstacle will probably be transportation to make the majic happen. So keep that in mind. NYC is also very close. I don't forsee many adjustment issues except at school, enjoy and make us proud. Just don't sell out.

Dominican0102

Aug 30, 2006
The Greater Boston area along with Providence area..together have more than 120,000 Dominicans...and growing rapidly each year..

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
Guys,

Thank you all for your responses, but you haven't informed me of a reality I didn't know about. Of course I know that there is a sizable Dominican community in the U.S. region in question; I just wanted to know whether some of you posters are Dominican and live in the area.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
TheOP, I am a Dominican citizen. The Boston area has been home during high school/college/professional life. I am not much for the party scence, but if you have any questions send me an e-mail and I'll do my best to answer.

edprl

Dec 3, 2006
well

well am from providence been here all my life am almost 19...ok look...RI is small obviously and they only city like town is providence....so what am saying if u live here youll be 95% of the time in providence...every one is providence is mostly dominican and black but mostly dominicans.....all dominicans chill on one street basiclly the main street called broad steet/Juan pablo duarte blvrd......alot of people like it here but honestly i dont not enough dominican culture for me so am moving to the hieghts....alot of people liek it for the fact that if you want night life you can go to broad street like i said and if u want tranquility you can go to your house....but am looking for more clubs more dominican people moore fun...clubs over here are fun the first few months or longer depening on how much u go out i like to go out all the time so the clubs get repetative you see the same people and get boring after time......this is reallllyyy long but hope it helped

lperez

Jun 17, 2002
I currently live in the Boston. Grew up in Cambridge. Boston has a ton Dominican's mainly in Jamaica Plain area. If you get home sick for Dominican cooking. There is Merengue on Blue Hill Ave which is a nice sit down place also for good take out is Alex Chimi's on Centre St. in JP great sandwiches and Pollo Carbon (SP?). For night life I know of the Roxi on Saturday down town across from the Wang center. It's run by Tomossoto and is mainly Dominican. Here is a link TomasSoto. Also there are many other clubs that have Latin night. Waltham is not far from Down Town. RI is to far to go clubbing if you live in Waltham. Driving rte. 95 at 3 in the morning is not fun.

Good Luck

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
Hey edprl...I responded to your private message so give it a look see, but I must say, that your post here is a bit stereotypical of Dominicans in RI. We don't all hang on Broad eating chimis everynight. We are scatter throughout the city and slowly filtering to other parts of the state. The club scene on Broad is wack and trashy at best! But I wont front, it was fun and enticing at 19 ;)

To the OP...I am from RI, been here for a bit. If you want more info, hit me up :) :)

-Yari

well am from providence been here all my life am almost 19...ok look...RI is small obviously and they only city like town is providence....so what am saying if u live here youll be 95% of the time in providence...every one is providence is mostly dominican and black but mostly dominicans.....all dominicans chill on one street basiclly the main street called broad steet/Juan pablo duarte blvrd......alot of people like it here but honestly i dont not enough dominican culture for me so am moving to the hieghts....alot of people liek it for the fact that if you want night life you can go to broad street like i said and if u want tranquility you can go to your house....but am looking for more clubs more dominican people moore fun...clubs over here are fun the first few months or longer depening on how much u go out i like to go out all the time so the clubs get repetative you see the same people and get boring after time......this is reallllyyy long but hope it helped

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
I am not Dominican, but I can tell you that here in Providence, we have a large dominican population. The best play to settle in for that is Broad Street area or Cranston Street area. I would also suggest that you hook-up with a group called CHisPA. Centers for Hispanic Policy and Advocay. They do great work for the lation community. Best of luck in your new endeavors - and welcome to Providence!

lucyq5

Mar 20, 2007
re: TheOP

hi , I live in RI. Unlike the stereotypical remark posted here I do not live in Providence, and not all of the 'Dominican' action occurs in Providence even more so on Broad Street. There are some great Dominicans and hispanic culture all throughout RI. If you want some more info feel free to contact me when your in town.

Last edited by a moderator:

Exotic

Mar 23, 2007
In response to the thread maker.

If you visit Providence, RI and want to hangout, i say night clubs and bars are the way to go. Get grad school off yo find a bit, even for just a few hours :D

Point Magazine - Your Number One Entertainment Resource for Rhode Island - Home
They used to have a much bigger gallery full of pics from many clubs, including your people.
Point Magazine - Your Number One Entertainment Resource for Rhode Island

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
My sister, who's been living in RI for, what, two years?, does some design work for this magazine, including some issues' cover, so I'm already familiar with the medium, thanks. I'm not the party type. Loud places are not for me. Thanks anyway.

In response to the thread maker.

If you visit Providence, RI and want to hangout, i say night clubs and bars are the way to go. Get grad school off yo find a bit, even for just a few hours :D

Point Magazine - Your Number One Entertainment Resource for Rhode Island - Home
They used to have a much bigger gallery full of pics from many clubs, including your people.