Toronto-Dominican Restaurant-Did Anyone know

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Hi, I went to go to the Dominican Restaurant today to celebate my B'Day and found a note that said they were closed for the month of December and will reopen in Jan. 2007. It's March and it's still closed. Anyone out there with any info on when the restaurant will be opened. My understanding is that it was already renovated during last summer.

Regards DJ

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Happy Birthday!

I heard that the owners are away on a family trip. I think they are getting married and they've gone to meet her grooms family...

Happy Birthday!

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
I heard that they are doing renovations...can't remember who I heard it from....

If it's Dominicans that are working on the renovations, then it may be awhile...they might be working on "dominican time"! :rolleyes: LOL

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
gonzaga,

I too went a few mnths ago and saw the sign. I called in the beginning of Feb and they had a vmail saying it would open at the end of Feb? I have no idea what's going on and it's too bad I enjoyed going there. I called a week ago and it rings no answer or vmail. If anyone gets word on when it's opening do post it!!

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRL!!! I'm sure you hada blast!!! ;)

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Hi Music,

Thank you for your B'Day Wishes. Yes, I'm still trying to recover from a great weekend. Oh, but I'll be celebrating the whole month of March. LOL

Hi Nikke,

The groom is from Mexico. The owners are really Marisa's parents, they just managed the place.

Well, I'll have to make a few calls to see If I can find out anything and If I do, I'll keep you posted.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Happy Birthday Gonzaga. That's what I like to hear someone who has an extended birthday party. Enjoy yourself . Feliz Cumpleanos!!!! ( I take Spanish lessons now lol)

Let us know what you find out about the restaurant. It would be a shame if they closed.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Happy Birthday Dianne.

I can't wait for this dang weather to warm up so we can have another get together. Last message they had was "opening at the end of Feb." but that seems to have come and gone now so lets hope it opens soon and the snow stops so we can make our way back to TO ;)

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
I spoke with my friend who was the bartender at the restaurant before it closed for renovations and he was not sure what is really going on (dominican from Santiago-here on visa) and not a sankie. He mentioned that they might sell, but not sure. The owner's daughter is here and so is her finance. She did mentioned to me last October at our DR1 get together that she was going to open a nail/hair salon on St. Clair.

This is all I know and it's not really definite.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Thanks for the post. I hope it doesn't close :( I know so many people who go there and enjoy it.
I've heard so many different stories so we will just have to wait and see?
Someone I know called and they told her they were renovating and the menu would stay the same. It remains unknown for now?

I spoke with my friend who was the bartender at the restaurant before it closed for renovations and he was not sure what is really going on (dominican from Santiago-here on visa) and not a sankie. He mentioned that they might sell, but not sure. The owner's daughter is here and so is her finance. She did mentioned to me last October at our DR1 get together that she was going to open a nail/hair salon on St. Clair.

This is all I know and it's not really definite.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Hi,

As Salsa on St. Clair is coming up, and in passing by St. Clair on Friday night, I don't see the Dominican Restaurant is opened yet. Any news from anyone , as it will be very disappoiniting if they are not opened for this event.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hey girl,

I've been calling for the longest time no answer? I've been trying to find out what is going on with the restaurant to but haven't found out anything? I will try to ask a friend of mine he usually knows what's going on, hopefully lol and I know he used to go there a lot as well! I will let you know if I find anything out!

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Hi Music,

It's seems so very strange that renovations could take so long, It makes me think if there is another unknown reason.

I don't have any hope that it will be opened soon or even this year.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I was at Salsa on St. Clair on Saturday and I looked for the restaurant and it looks like a purse/accessory store has opened in that location. On the other hand I was watching tv and saw them advertise a restaurant in Montreal that I would like to go to whenever I am there.

racergurl55

Sep 6, 2006
www.racegirl55.com
My team mates from Santo Domingo were here a couple of weeks ago for the Parts Canada National Superbike race at Mosport. They arrived on a Tuesday and by Saturday I was going to go crazy if I had to listen to "Quiero comer arroz" and "Como que no hay arroz en tu pais" from our Crew Chief Eddy - that I decided to drive from Bowmanville to Toronto to take them to there - since I had read about it on this site. I called someone with internet access to get the number half way there and called and called and no answer.....

We ended up at Montana's and they did have rice as a side dish - but he insisted on papas fritas!!! Drive me nuts!!!!! :bunny:

The Dominican restaurant in Montreal is called Sosua - It's on St. Laurent and is really good!

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
I phoned my dominican friend after I found out during SOSC that the Restaurant is now a Luggage and Leather Goods shop. It's still run by the same owners. He could not tell me much about it and if there will ever be another Dominican Rest. There will be a food booth at Canada's Wonderful set up as the Dominican Rest. with staff from the restaurant during Latin Fest in August.

I'm thinking we can kiss the Dominican Res. good bye.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Gonzaga,is the Latin Fest in August the one in Downsview park? BTW did you get any food from the Dominican Food Stand at SOSC? It rained so bad when we were there that we didn't have a chance to go back (they were not set up when we saw them). I have never gone to the Toni Reyes fiesta( I think that is the one they are referring to as Domingo Cinco) but I always go to Mel Lastman's Square in Sept. I look forward to that one, hopefully, I am in town this year.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Sosua in Montreal is unfortunately now closed (now called Cafe Sarejevo). It was the best Dominican restaurant.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Hi Tarrantino,

The latin fest at the wonderdland is different than the Toni Reyes festival. Last year the Dominican Rest., was set up at the Toni Reyes event and maybe againg this year in August. You can check with Latin Music on St. Clair if the tickets for the latin fest at wonderland is a bit cheaper if you buy them in advance. I've tried to find out who is performing at the Wondeland event but no postings yet, unless anyone can let me know when I can find a list of the performers, I just don't want to listen to Reggaton all day. Mel Lastman Sept. event is the Hispanic Festival.

Check out the Jazz Festival this weekend at the beaches, not many latin performers, check the internet for the list.