Need clear info on bus to/from Punta Cana & SD

lavistabonita

Feb 28, 2007
I will be arriving in Punta Cana in mid-afternoon and according to a previous thread it looks like the last bus running from Punta Cana to SD is at 4pm... Is this correct info?
Are there any other options getting to SD after 4pm? Or should I be looking at getting a room for the night in Punta Cana & taking the bus the next day? What is the cost for one way PC to SD? I will be travelling with my 13 year old... are rates different for children? What are the addresses/locations of the bus stops? How long of a bus ride is it? Are there any tips or things I should know about?!
Thanks!
lvb

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This was covered last week, but here goes again

Directions on how to get from Sto Dgo to Punta Cana by bus

There are a couple of ways to do this:
1) Take a cab from the airport to Parque Enriquillo and ask somebody for the bus stop for Expresso Bavaro (250 pesos per person, one way). Their schedule is I believe 7 am, 10 am, 2 pm , 4 pm. They fill up fast. If you are not able to get one of those you can catch a bus from Parque Enriquillo to Hig?ey (160 pesos per person, one way) and then catch a bus from Hig?ey to Punta Cana (70 pesos). Its easy...dont let changing buses scare you...I had to go this route since I missed the 10:00 am Expresso B?varo just last week. Just ask people around...you will find somebody speaking broken English if Spanish is not ur thing.
2) Catch a cab from the airport to the Highway underpass where you will find this buses on their way to punta cana and Hig?ey. The Underpass I am referring to is like 5 mins from the airport...I dont know exactly how to explain this but the cab driver should know. A lotta locals catch buses at this underpass on the highway from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana. You can catch a bus to Higuey here and from Higuey catch a bus to Punta Cana. (I suggest option 1 cuz you don?t want to be in the middle of the highway with your luggage). Most of these buses pass by the hotels so you can tell them where to drop you off. Good luck.
From what I have read Metro and Caribe Tours does not go to Punta Cana but when I was there I did see buses from both these companies.

Dolores says:

Instead of Parque Enriquillo stop, we recommend people pick up the bus at the Expreso Bavaro stop at Calle Juan Sanchez Ramirez No. 31 (near Supermercado Nacional of the Maximo Gomez). Tel 809 682-9670. That is run by the Sitrabapu union. The bus will take you to the Parada Sitrabapu off of Friusa. From there you can take another of the buses to the stop nearest your hotel. Same rate of about RD$250. Departures from Santo Domingo at 7 am, 10 am, 2 pm and 4 pm. It is about a 4 hour trip.

We recommend spending an evening in Santo Domingo and then catching the bus the next day. For hotel options, see the Santo Domingo section of our Hotel Directory at DR1 - Directories

Metro nor Caribe Tours have scheduled service to Bavaro. The local union (Sitrabapu) does not allow competition and the authorities have been complacent in allowing them to maintain their monopoly.

PJU adds
From Bavaro area to Santo Domingo
9-01-07

The bus station (parada) is next door to the Politur (Police Station) near the "Friusa" crossroad where the Texaco station is located. The buses are express, Bavaro-Santo Domingo. Departures are 7-10 am and 2 - 4 pm. The fare is around RD$ 230. The trip is about 3.5 - 4 hours. Be sure you request the express-because local traffic buses share the station with the express. Note: The express coach departs from the left side of the terminal as you face it from the street and the ticket office access is on the left side of the building. Seating is first come first serve, arrive at least one half hour before departure time.

Regards,
PJT

Hope this helps you out a bit

HB

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I strongly highly recommend you use the Express service but if you arrive after the last one leaves, you do have the option of taking 2 different buses to get to SD. The first to Higuey (you can catch this one on the road outside the airport), then transfer in Higuey to Santo Domingo. I personally have never done this nor am I interested in doing it but if you need to get to SD that same day, that's your best bet. The current cost for the Expreso Bavaro is RD$250 (just took it yesterday) and the cost is per seat, regardless the age of the passenger. If I'm not mistaken, the other option is just about around that price also or maybe a little bit cheaper.

I think the below post covered the rest of your questions.

Have a nice trip!

Feb 7, 2007
There is BAVARO EXPRESS that runs to Higuey from bus terminal at Friusa in Bavaro, on the hour up to 7pm, if I am not mistaken. Costs 90 pesos, and leaves you directly in front of the Higuey-Santo Domingo bus terminal (you just cross the street). This terminal is right in front of the Basilica. On the return, the Santo Domingo - Higuey bus leaves you in front of the Bavaro terminal in Higuey on Calle Libertad. The last Expreso bus from Higuey to SDQ leaves at 7pm, and the last bus leaves at 8.30.

You need tickets for Expreso Higuey-SDQ and they are sold in front of the bus from a person called "cobrador". He's easy to recognize, with a stack of bills in his hand. Expreso costs RD$155. Expresos leave on the hour (always) lots at half hour, and many in between. Expresos fill up fast. Don't get on the bus that the "cobrador" shouts "San Pedro" or "San Pedro atras", that one does not get to the capital. Expresos have AC at full and show movies.

"Calientes" are rarely warm, right now almost all "caliente" buses have AC on and many even show movies (come worst case, you'll get to listen to some bachata, merengue or Christian gospel, at driver's liking). Calientes cost RD$135, or RD$140 respectively if they show a movie. The ticket is paid to "cobrador" directly on the bus, after it departs.

Dollars accepted at the rate of 1 USD = 30 RDP.

The difference between "Expreso" and "caliente" is that caliente has a stop in La Romana and 5 stops in San Pedro, whereas Expreso only has 2 stops in San Pedro. The time difference is about 5-10 minutes at most. "Calientes" sometime divert via Juan Dolio.

On return you can take the bus from Parque Enriquillo, the words HIGUEY are large and printed on the walls of the terminal. Has an AC'd waiting room. Bavaro buses leave from directly in front of the Higuey terminal, but they do not enter the terminal. Last bus for Higuey leaves at 7pm, alst Expreso at 6pm.

WORD OF CAUTION: SICHOPROLA buses (the syndicate that operates Higuey-SDQ route) leave when they fill up OR on their designated schedule, whatever comes first, so the last bus leaving at 8.30pm may be long gone by that time. This is true for both terminals in Huguey and in Santo Domingo.

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Punta Cana - Santo Domingo

Hi there,

I will be arriving in Punta Cana at 18:35 on Monday and need to get to Santo Domingo. Can anybody tell me the best way to do this please at this time of day. Thanks.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Hi there,

I will be arriving in Punta Cana at 18:35 on Monday and need to get to Santo Domingo. Can anybody tell me the best way to do this please at this time of day. Thanks.
At that time of night, figuring another hour to collect you luggage and get through Immigration and Customs, your choice may be limited to an airport taxi. I hope the money you saved on the ticket was worth it.

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Thanks. Didn't save any money on the ticket - it was the only flight available for that day. If anybody has any other advice I would be extremely grateful. Thanks.

Feb 7, 2007
No way to get to SDQ by public transport.
Taxis are only way to get the same day.

1) If you want a taxi, I can get you one - call Benjamin at 809-3518407
he is from Higuey and will take you to Santo Domingo for 3500 pesos. That's about half of what airport taxis would charge you. Tell him Jorge referred you.
he would pick you up.

2a)Your another option is to go to Cortecito and sleep in the Cortecito Inn. You would pay 60 USD or sleep in Cabana next to La Punta for 30 dollars. Plus taxis to Cortecito, from Cortecito to the bus station, bus fare, etc, you are in for 3500 pesos at least as well.
2b) If you sleep in cabana next to la Punta, you would be close to the bus station (you can even walk) so you can take morning expreso to SDQ.

3) Another option is to take cab to Friusa bus station for a Higuey bus - 90 pesos (3 USD)(they run virtually 24 hours, but between 12 midnight and 4am service is scarce) but at about 8.30pm you should have no problems. Sleep in any of Higuey Hotels for 500 pesos (15 USD) (AC, private bath, cable TV). Take morning bus to SDQ for 135-155 pesos (10-12 USD) (first bus leaves at 4.30 am).

4) Yet another option is to call Benjamin, he would drive you to Higuey for 1000 pesos (30 USD), put you in hotel, and you take morning bus to Santo Domingo (3-5 USD). Basically, taxi to Higuey (if you call Benjamin) costs you the same as taxi from airport to Bavaro hotel or bus station.

Option 1 - 110 USD
Option 2a - 105 USD (25 cab, 60 hotel, 10 cab, 10 bus)
Option 2b - 70 USD (30 cab, 30 cabana, 10 bus)
Option 3 - 55 USD (30 cab, 3 bus, 2 motoconchos, 15 hotel, 5 bus)
Option 4 - 50 USD (30 cab, 15 hotel, 5 bus)

Option 3 and 4 are the cheapest, the difference is Option 4 Benjamin can be waiting for you, he is "de confianza", takes you to Higuey, and you take the bus in the morning. In opion 3, you actually have "3" steps in your yournes, as opposed to 2.

It all depends on your budget. PM me if you need more help.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Last week there was a European couple that flew in in the late afternoon and caught the bus out on the road from the airport, as Kate stated, and took it to Higuey. They only had Euros and dollars and they were charged US$5 for the two of them. Their bus dropped them off in Higuey for the bus to El Seybo, where I live, and I got them a hotel for 400 pesos without A/C.

If the price for a hotel in Higuey is only 500 pesos with A/C I would suggest that you do as Rubio says and spend the night in Higuey and catch the morning bus to SD.

Rick

Edited to add;

Of course if you want to be adventurous you can always do as the European couple did and come out to El Seybo and I'll meet you at the bus stop and get you to the hotel. We too have a bus that leaves every half hour to SD here from El Seybo. An A/C hotel here will cost you 600 pesos for a small room and 800 pesos for the double.

Last edited:

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Wow, you've all been so so helpful - thanks very much! I really do need to get to SD tomorrow night so does that mean it has to be by taxi then?

Thank you again for being so helpful and taking so much time to write all that!!

Kate

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Kate,
As you have to be in SD tomorrow night then the choices are limited. As you don't know how long you will be held up at the airport and because of your late arrival a taxi is the way you will have to go.

There is the ability of reducing your costs by taking public transportation to at least Higuey and catching a taxi from there. There is always the possibility that you may find a bus in Higuey to take you to SD but then again maybe not. Regardless, the price of a taxi from Higuey to SD is comparatively cheaper then one fron the airport to SD.

As I don't know how much luggage you have or any other circumstances associated with your travel then a taxi from the airport to SD might be your only option. So much depends on your circumstances and how long it takes you to clear customs.

Rick

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Hi there Rick, thanks for the quick reply. I only have 1 suitcase so not so much luggage. Is it easy to get to Higuey then and how much do you think it would cost for a taxi from there to Santo Domingo?

Kate

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Kate,

Looking at post #8 by Rubio I'm a little worried about you catching a bus to Higuey as we once again don't know when you will clear customs.

But once again referring to post#8, option 3. Jorge seems to think you can make it to Higuey with no problems. Once in Higuey you could use his contact Benjamin at 809-3518407 for a taxi to SD. As Benjamin charges 3,500 pesos from the airport to SD and 1,000 pesos from the airport to Higuey then I assume, watch that word (assume), that he would charge you about 2,500 pesos from Higuey to SD.

I don't know what else to tell you. As Jorge is one of our local residents maybe it would be a good idea to contact him by PM and see what he has to say.

Rick

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Thanks, looks like the best thing I can do is to contact Benjamin and get a taxi straight from the airport to SD - does he speak any English and do I need to contact him today and give him the tim of the flights landing or do I call him when I arrive (I'm guessing not as he could then be busy?).

Kate

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Kate,
Your questions are unanswerable by me. I would suggest that you send Jorge a private message, (PM), and wait for his answer.

In case you are unfamiliar with our system just go to post #8 and click of the name 'Rubio Higuey' in the upper left corner of his post. A tab drops down and 'send a PM to Rubio' appears as well as 'send an e-mail to Rubio'. Click on which ever you wish and type and send away. An e-mail notification is received informing our members that they have a PM or e-mail. To view your PM's, when you receive one, you will see same in the upper right hand corner of your screen right below where it says Welcome, Kateinyork. Just click on 'Private Messages' and you can read that which has been sent to you.

Rick

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Kate,

Enjoy your vacation and when you get back home you could do us all a big favor by typing a report about your trip in the "Trip Report" forum. Within that report please include your experience in the transportation to SD along with any other relevant matters that you think may help other people visiting this board. As people that come to visit or inquire about the DR depend on us that live here and have visited here for accurate information we too depend on people such as yourself to keep us up to date on any changes that may have occurred to the information that we pass along.

Rick

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Yes, I will definitely do that - I will see what else I can find out while I'm around the airport area and post it whe I return home. I have just tried to call benjamin but the line from UK was really bad and he couldn't hear me so not sure what to do on that one. I have PM'd Jorge and will await a reply. My only problem now is that I leave my house at 8:30 am so not sure if I'll get any more info by then. I think I will probably have to ask around at the airport and see if there is anybody with information there?

Kate