Looking for Condo Rental in North Coast for 6 months

spaceman

Jan 5, 2006
Hi Everyone,
After more than 2 years of lurking on the DR1 board and learning about the DR, we have recently made plans to visit for 6 months, mainly the North Coast area. My wife and I work on the internet trading the Forex market (24 hours, 5 days a week) and therefore absolutely require a condo which offers:

- 1 bedroom, full size kitchen
- Reliable 24 hours Power Backup (we will bring a UPS but this will be for equipment safety more than backup).
- Reliable High Speed Internet, if possible 1,5 Mbit/s ADSL. I have 2 computers which will be connected and will bring my wireless/router.
- A backup internet solution (like a dialup monthly plan in case the ADSL goes down).

Along with this we would like a condo which is in walking distance to the beach and shops (Sosua or Cabarete), with a nice pool and good security.

We are planning to visit from approx the 1st of May until 1st of November 2007. We are looking forward to this trip and hope to be able to return each year. We have read many post and also looking forward to meeting some of you.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jon & Alison :)

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Depending what you can afford. Ocean Dreams has many long term rentals. Their really nice and you can negotiate because there are a lot in the off season. Just down the road is Royal Residence. New and nice but not OD. Bothe are in Cabarete. I'm sure there are others but I wouldn't have any trouble staying at either one. Both are safe and Od is like a very upscale condo in the US. It depends on what you want.

spaceman

Jan 5, 2006
Thanks Rocky. Are the El Neptuno & Tradewinds, the same condos as advertised on the link Vince sent? Just wondering as the pictures and price seems a bit different.

Thanks, Jon

spaceman

Jan 5, 2006
Thanks Oriole,
Ocean Dreams surely sounds great and upscale which would be nice but might be a bit out of our price range as we are trying to save at the same time. Our plan would be to eventually buy a property in the DR, after a few trips, if we like it enough. So unless someone is prepared to make a nice discount for a long term tenant, we might have to look for something a bit cheaper. But thank you for your suggestion, we will still try to get in touch with them (or any owner we finds listed to rent).

Thanks, Jon

spaceman

Jan 5, 2006
Thanks Vince for clarifying. Do you know in which complex the apartments from your link are located?

Thanks, Jon

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Three other places in Sosua you may want to check out, info can be found by searching DR1:

The Palms
Las Canas
Club Residential

Some other place in/near Cabaretes:
Renaissance
Coconut Palms (and/or the place next to it)
Orillas del Mar
Nanny Estates
Bahia Arena
Cita Del Sol
BlueFish at Perla Marina

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Have a look through the DR1's rentals Dominican Republic Rentals
I'm sure if you find a condo that you like, a long-term rate can be negotiated.

For internet backup, make sure you have a laptop that you can do your business on. We've on occasion dropped in at Rockies just for a few hours of connectivity as a backup.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
El Neptuno has 2 bedrooms and baths. You can use the second as your computer room. ADSL is available but presently not at the speed you want. However, if you reserve well in advance we can work with Verizon to get best speed possible. We have 24 hour electricity, an excellent night watchman, and we are 5 minutes or less from center of town and about the same from the beach. There isn't a condo closer to town and the beach than we are

If interested, send an email to Ramona Valdez at elneptuno2004@yahoo.es You can tell her that Ken recommended you contact her. In her response she will send you a map showing how well located we are.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As Ken mentions, El Neptuno is the tops.
You'd be hard pressed to find a more ideal condo.
If the price is prohibitive, then you have to consider something smaller and not as well located.
Regardless of your choice, you can be sure that it'll be hard enough to find your internet requirements in an ideal condo, let alone with an internet back up system.
Assuming you use laptops and are staying in the Sosua area, you are welcome to use our wifi here, if you have a breakdown at home.

spaceman

Jan 5, 2006
Thank you everyone for your recommendation, it's so much appreciated.

As you can imagine, the internet setup is my most important requirement as I don't only trade for myself, but also for over 20 other accounts. My trading time aren't compatible with business opening hours as I start at 3:00AM until about 11:00AM, so I really need to have my own backup (dialup) in the appartment. I am not convince about security issues over Wi-Fi as well, but will look into that. But thank's again Rocky for your offer. We will sure visit your bar/restaurant a few times.

I'll check El Neptuno again but have come up with a nice shortlist and will probably make a final decision in the coming day or so. Thanks again to everyone.
Jon

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thank you everyone for your recommendation, it's so much appreciated.

As you can imagine, the internet setup is my most important requirement as I don't only trade for myself, but also for over 20 other accounts. My trading time aren't compatible with business opening hours as I start at 3:00AM until about 11:00AM, so I really need to have my own backup (dialup) in the appartment. I am not convince about security issues over Wi-Fi as well, but will look into that. But thank's again Rocky for your offer. We will sure visit your bar/restaurant a few times.

I'll check El Neptuno again but have come up with a nice shortlist and will probably make a final decision in the coming day or so. Thanks again to everyone.
Jon
The time of day would not be a limiting factor for you using the net here.
The thing is, that it's virtually impossible to find a nice condo that suits you, that not only has hi speed internet, but back up as well.
So you would have to get the alternate source on internet yourself.
Maybe getting the net from the cable company would be your best back up.
This way you would have 2 completely different sources.
If a telephone line went down, your dial up back up wouldn't work either.

spaceman

Jan 5, 2006
Hi Rocky,

Thanks again for a quick reply. Does it happen often that a phone line also goes down? I expected the internet to do this once in a while (from past thread), but didn't think the phone line could also be a problem. Is cable internet easily available at condo's like El Neptuno? I wasn't sure if cable was an option especially as some condo seems to have some kind of shared cable TV system. Thanks again.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi Rocky,

Thanks again for a quick reply. Does it happen often that a phone line also goes down? I expected the internet to do this once in a while (from past thread), but didn't think the phone line could also be a problem. Is cable internet easily available at condo's like El Neptuno? I wasn't sure if cable was an option especially as some condo seems to have some kind of shared cable TV system. Thanks again.
It's very rare for a phone line to go down, but let's face it, if you NEED backup, a different source would make more sense, plus, imagine how slow the dial up would be for your trading, whereas you could get hi speed from the cable company too, and you could get it at El Neptuno within days of arriving, and use us as an emergency source in the meantime.

spaceman

Jan 5, 2006
Yes, no doubt a different source would be the ultimate in term of protection. Dialup is slow, but I can live with that if it's just a matter of a few hours (maybe 2-3 times) during my stay. But would prefer cable as well (didn't think it was possible). Is there any 1 bedroom at El Neptuno? I don't really need a 2 bedroom and am trying to save a bit because our plan would be to buy something int he next year if we like the DR enough. Thanks Again.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yes, no doubt a different source would be the ultimate in term of protection. Dialup is slow, but I can live with that if it's just a matter of a few hours (maybe 2-3 times) during my stay. But would prefer cable as well (didn't think it was possible). Is there any 1 bedroom at El Neptuno? I don't really need a 2 bedroom and am trying to save a bit because our plan would be to buy something int he next year if we like the DR enough. Thanks Again.
All of the condos at El Neptuno are 2 bed units.