In todays Toronto Sun...

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
seems like everytime i look in the travel section of the Toronto Sun there's always a damn article about the same thing.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Don't we get one of these stories every winter in a Canadian newspaper?

I haven't figured out if they are warning people or advertising for ummmm skankies? Is the word sankies been registered so they came up with a new version? :laugh:

Last edited:

Daddy_Dom

Feb 4, 2007
Aha!... Nice story... But sankies are around the world, not only DR... When the women stop of be stupid, maybe they can die of hungry and all this stories about sankies could finish!!

DD.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
skankie = sex-only tourism?

sankie = heartbreak, financial ruin tourism?

This author makes it sound like the "western" (???) women (guess that excludes Canada & US as we are from the north LOL) come here only for sex and then leave. She also quotes:

but a burgeoning trend which continues to wreak havoc on a Caribbean culture and a family culture already in crisis. "

as if the poor "skankies" are being taken advantage of and we should feel sorry for them!

She couldn't even get the name of the country right - Dominican not Dominican Republic (for those who that upsets greatly LOL);)

When did the dress codes change - never once in any disco, bar etc. did I ever see the men going around without shirts on!!!

Then she states that these guys are "known as beach boys" - guess that gets the animation staff off the hook ;)

Maybe this author should have stayed away from this situation

through the rum and the pounding music

and got the story right before writing it!!

What a worthless article!

Marlie

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
I agree Marlie, the article makes it seems that "skankies" are prostitutes, and not what they really are, ..........wait maybe a skankie is different than a sankie?;)

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
1/3 of western women fall victum to skankies ? and over 600000 have participated from 1980-2005 ?

that's damn good research...:laugh:

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
That's a helluva boost to the Dominican's(jajaja) economy. Just think if that was factored in to the Gross National Product!

As I said yesterday-- those sankies--SKankies are doing their part to build up the pride of all the Dominican's :(

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Anything for a story eh? I'm still laughing at this part

"Last year in her paper Female Sex Tourism: A Contradiction in Terms?, S anchez Taylor argued when Western women use their economic power to get what they want from poor local men who need their money, it's exploitation, plain and simple."

:laugh:

Poor sankies are being exploited :surprised :classic:

I think I will write to her and let her know what they are really called and who is exploiting whom