liquor license

Teabudd

Mar 4, 2007
I would like to hear from anyone that knows the ins and outs of either buying or applying for a liquor license in DR.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hahaha....Liquor license in The DR? That's hilarious...

The Dominican liquor license consists of buying whatever liquor you're going to sell and setting up shop anywhere you feel like (i.e. a gas station).

Teabudd

Mar 4, 2007
After asking that question I read countless archive material on the subject.According to"people in the know",if you do just go ahead and open a club or hotel or bar then if it's successful all kinds of people show up and demand a piece of the action or you are out of business,That seems a little far fetched to me but then I have never been to Dominican Republic.If that is the case then obviously there is no point my considering a move to this area.Maybe someone can give me some info on this corruption/kickback situation. Thanks

C

Chip00

After asking that question I read countless archive material on the subject.According to"people in the know",if you do just go ahead and open a club or hotel or bar then if it's successful all kinds of people show up and demand a piece of the action or you are out of business,That seems a little far fetched to me but then I have never been to Dominican Republic.If that is the case then obviously there is no point my considering a move to this area.Maybe someone can give me some info on this corruption/kickback situation. Thanks

Send Rocky a pm - he will know if anybody does as he has a bar on the north coast. BTW, you will need a permit.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Talk about a difference! My 4COP liquor license, in limited supply based on population, here in Tampa Bay is worth US$200,000 to pour a drink without serving food. It costs nothing in the DR.

'Course, I get to stay open until 2am every night...:cool:

Feb 7, 2007
I don't think anybody has a liquor licence in the DR. As suarezn said, you just open up, but the liquor and cerveza and sell... (don't forget that for any disco/night club in the DR you've got to have lots of "waitresses" there, otherwise the clientele won't come and the bar/disco next door would get the business).

When I had a small nightclub/disco in Higuey, the kickbacks involved amounted to about 1500 pesos per month - a bottle of Chivas to the local co****l, and about 150 pesos a week to the patrol guys for "gasolina" and "cena". They didn't show usually more than once a week.

Now, this is not Bavaro/PP/Cabarete/Boca Chica, there are also Politur guys and Marina de Guerra, so it gets more expensive.

Feb 7, 2007
if you do just go ahead and open a club or hotel or bar then if it's successful all kinds of people show up and demand a piece of the action or you are out of business,That seems a little far fetched to me but then I have never been to Dominican Republic.

Welcome to the world outside of the US of A.
In Europe it's Mafia that takes the piece of action.
In Latin America it's the police.