Departure tax for a Dominicano

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
My Dominican friends are having a debate over the departure tax for a Dominicano....this is how it is going....any clarification is welcomed.....

One friend, who is Dominican, from Santiago...says that when you leave the DR as a Dominican (showing your Dominican passport) legally, you only have to pay 20 pesos.
He has been in Cda for 13 years now, and has a Cdn passport, but when he travelled to the DR, used his Dominican passport to leave, and only paid 20 pesos.

My other Dominican friends, who are from Puerto Plata, said no, regardless of which passport you use, you have to pay $20 USD, just like any other tourist. They travelled on Permanent Residnce from Cda, as they are not citizens yet, and don't have a Cdn passport.

Can anyone clarify this for me? And does it matter, WHICH airport you deaprt from? Maybe the one in Santiago has a different rule for departure tax b/c it's privately owned? B/c isn't a departure tax for the repairs and upkeep of the airport? I'm not sure, I'm just using my own theory.....Any help is appreciated to end this battle......3 Dominicanos fighting over the same thing....does not make for a pleasant evening! LOL

lisa

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Same for everybody!

Departure tax is US$20.00, regardless what ever nationality you are.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
some departure taxes are included in your airfare so some people don't pay. at least i know American Airlines does. i have never paid a departure tax...

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
I have used US Airways, Continental, and American Airlines in and out of the DR..All 3 airlines had the departure tax built into the ticket price...So to answer the question more than likely if you are using a US carrier the departure tax is included in the ticket price..

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
HI-
Thanks for your replies, but my friends said he showed his Dominican passport, and said "here is my 20 pesos", and that was that.

I say, and agree with my other Dominican friends that it's $20 USD regardless of your nationality....(as mido said)

However, my friend said he only paid 20 pesos to get out. Just seeing if there is infact a law (b/c my friend says there is one) for Dominicanos only have to pay 20 pesos.

Maybe this should be in the legal forum?!?! Not sure.
Lisa

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Departure Tax

some departure taxes are included in your airfare so some people don't pay. at least i know American Airlines does. i have never paid a departure tax...

Leaving POP, I have only once, not gone to gate 10 and paid the $20.00 US per person and that was when we flew American. So, as others have mentioned, it seems clear, that when flying American, it is getting paid built in to the ticket price.
Huge ca$h grab!
Steve