Maximizing one day in Santiago...

z_zapper

Jun 14, 2004
Hi,

A couple of friends (female, 27 and 30) and I (male, 35) are flying into STI on Thursday, 3/22 at 11am and leaving for PP the next morning. I'd love your feedback on a few things:

1. First, I'm assuming it does make sense to spend that first day checking out Santiago rather than going straight to PP, especially since we'll have flown ten hours from San Fran. Let me know if you disagree, or that it would be more convenient just to go straight north.

2. Assuming we're staying somewhere central (I've heard that Colonial, Platino, and Aloha are good choices), could you recommend a couple of options for lunch and dinner that day? Something healthy and Dominican (unless there's a contradiction there!) would be great.

3. How about nightlife on that Thursday night? I've heard that Dizzy Ranch is good for local music, which we're up for, but if there's also another place worth checking out we could certainly do that as well, especially if there are places where people get together on the earlier side (like a happy hour, for example). Also, is there anywhere that people might hang out after midnight?

4. Is there anything you'd recommend doing during the day? If not, we were just going to stroll about the city.

5. Will it be hard to find a Wi-Fi connection there? I may have to do some work during the day :-(...

Thx much!
Z.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Hi,

A couple of friends (female, 27 and 30) and I (male, 35) are flying into STI on Thursday, 3/22 at 11am and leaving for PP the next morning. I'd love your feedback on a few things:

1. First, I'm assuming it does make sense to spend that first day checking out Santiago rather than going straight to PP, especially since we'll have flown ten hours from San Fran. Let me know if you disagree, or that it would be more convenient just to go straight north. Santiago is a beautiful city. I'd stay and check it out.

2. Assuming we're staying somewhere central (I've heard that Colonial, Platino, and Aloha are good choices), could you recommend a couple of options for lunch and dinner that day? Something healthy and Dominican (unless there's a contradiction there!) would be great. For good ol' Dominican try Kukaramakara or Montezuma in front of the monument. For steak try El Rancho.

3. How about nightlife on that Thursday night? I've heard that Dizzy Ranch is good for local music, which we're up for, but if there's also another place worth checking out we could certainly do that as well, especially if there are places where people get together on the earlier side (like a happy hour, for example). Also, is there anywhere that people might hang out after midnight? I don't visit these places but hear people talk about them a lot. Dizzy is good for Tipico, Merengue and Bachata. So is Rancho Tipico Monte Bar. People prefer the Monte Bar over Dizzy.

4. Is there anything you'd recommend doing during the day? If not, we were just going to stroll about the city. You can try Casa De Teatro, Centro Leon Jimenez and strolling around the city is nice too.

5. Will it be hard to find a Wi-Fi connection there? I may have to do some work during the day :-(... I hear there is Wi-Fi at the monument now a days but take it from me and others...You don't want to be seen in public with your laptop on hand. Show less and less become the chances of someone trying to mug you or something.

Thx much!
Z.

Gave you my 2 centavos in red...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
ET, ALL fine suggestions. If I had just one day in Santiago, I'd definitely go the Centro Leon and the Tomas Morel Folklore Museum, hang around the Monument for a while, and dine at either of the places you mentioned (I like the KukaaraMacarra-however it's spelled-ribs). My hotel preference is Platino for bang-for-the-buck.

Sep 19, 2005
as far as the two dance options given..Id say it might be true that Tipico Monte bar might have more of a crowd....but If it is really HOT that night , go to Dizzy...the roof inside is twice the height...and the place is a little less packed...which means there is more room to dance, and cooler...but if you just want to watch...go to Tipico Monte...they play about the exact same mucis, with Dizzy playing more salsa.

I have had great meals at the cowboy like joint right next to the monument.. and a place on Duarte coming from Li Cey past Illusions, but before Sadahala( spelling ?) it is on the left and has a pastry shop next to it with the same name...I believe it starts with a C and sounds Italian( but isnt) has great dominican food....wish i could remember things ha ha ha....

also the place across the street from GOLDS gym served up some really good food the one time I went there with a few DR1 ers.

some one come up with these names for me please. ha ha ha

and yes for sure fit Santiago in...it is can be a little bonus for your beach vacation you will remember.

bob

Last edited:

z_zapper

Jun 14, 2004
Thx for the excellent and prompt advice. We'll definitely stay for the day/night, and will check out Dizzy Ranch as well as a couple of the restaurants you suggest.

Interesting point about the laptop. Is it really the case that I wouldn't be wise to spend a couple of hours during the day doing work in a public place (like a cafe)? If so, might the Platino have WiFi?

Thx again,
Z.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
as far as the two dance options given..Id say it might be true that Tipico Monte bar might have more of a crowd....but If it is really HOT that night , go to Dizzy...the roof inside is twice the height...and the place is a little less packed...which means there is more room to dance, and cooler...but if you just want to watch...go to Tipico Monte...they play about the exact same mucis, with Dizzy playing more salsa.

I have had great meals at the cowboy like joint right next to the monument.. and a place on Duarte coming from Li Cey past Illusions, but before Sadahala( spelling ?) it is on the left and has a pastry shop next to it with the same name...I believe it starts with a C and sounds Italian( but isnt) has great dominican food....wish i could remember things ha ha ha....

also the place across the street from GOLDS gym served up some really good food the one time I went there with a few DR1 ers.

some one come up with these names for me please. ha ha ha

and yes for sure fit Santiago in...it is can be a little bonus for your beach vacation you will remember.

bob

Bob,

You've been to the DR what? 100000 times??? and you don't know the names of the places :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

The cowboy like place next to the monument you mention is the one I recommended - KUKARAMAKARA. Good meal for the buck.

So that is three people CROBRA YOU AND ME recommending it. To the OP go there. Three people in one shot you can't go wrong.

The place in front of Gold's gym is called La Parrillita. Their crab mofongo is great so is their grilled rabbit if you fancy that I know I do and ejoyed it. It was magnifico. hehehehehe:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

jafo

Dec 16, 2006
Wifi

Dont quote me but I believe Plaza International on Juan Pablo Duarte has WIFI second floor coffie bar area . Maybe someone can confirm this .

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Dont quote me but I believe Plaza International on Juan Pablo Duarte has WIFI second floor coffie bar area . Maybe someone can confirm this .
Just past International plaza on the right (same side of the street) is an Argentinian restaurant with churassco to DIE for, if you're a carnivor.:cheeky:

Sep 19, 2005
call me wierd..I dont know....and I an not a cheapo...but I liked walking where few tourist go. I know the Museums are dominican, but I find it just as interesting going into places like the area , that they sell farm produce and raw meats hanging on the hoof. It is close to the down town area...I have only been twice. there is also a place attached close by that has a ton of little trinket shops crammed on top of each other. I was looking for a multi layered jewelry box, thats why i gravitated there...I know it isnt some place yoy want to go repeatedly, but that area, just reeks of down dirty and tough dominican life, but in the city, where you can meander around and through...as apposed to some slum...where you really have no reason to walk. Most people will see the beaches with the super hotels and the nicer resturants......and they might go see the more upscale sights. But throw in a place like this and get the whole picture...at least once... and this is a safe venue for that. Anyone know the streets this place is on????

It is several blocks down and back in its own little area.

yeah i know you wont find AZB there.... ha ha ha

at least not any more!!

and the place i ate at on Pablo Duarte east of Estrella Saldaha I think is La Campagna....or very close...really nice open air (with fans) cafe and great food.

bob

May 12, 2005
Bob, what's the name of that outdoor place not too far from the monumento that is on a hill and overlooks part of the city? It's right on the circle. Alex's tacos or something like that, right? Not a bad place to go for decent priced dominican food with a bit of a view.

Sep 19, 2005
I am pretty sure they have resturants on at least 2 sides of the monument...maybe three....with one side some park like area with the heavy netal fencing along it. Thats where they usually put up displays fo art and photos, and stuff like that.

and as alex mentioned...i dont know the names of most of these places.....but I can tell you where I saw a hot, long raven haired morenita walking... ha ha ha ha

bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
WI-FI: At the PUCMM (Library and Student center)
At both of the Campagna sites (On Juan Pablo duarte and Calle 6 in the Jardines.
Both of which are good places to eat.

there are other WI-FI sites but those two are proven best and safest...

HB

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
I think I am going to try that one out. Thanks Hillbilly. La Kukuramakara is one of my favorite places to eat. Nice view and great food.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
I think I am going to try that one out. Thanks Hillbilly. La Kukuramakara is one of my favorite places to eat. Nice view and great food.

You forgot REALLY REALLY REALLLLYYYYY cold beer. :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

z_zapper

Jun 14, 2004
Thx again for this excellent thread of ideas! I like Bob's suggestion of wandering into the gritterier marketplace near the center. How might we make our way there?

Sep 19, 2005
Thx again for this excellent thread of ideas! I like Bob's suggestion of wandering into the gritterier marketplace near the center. How might we make our way there?

Not that he hangs out there, BUT PM hillbilly he knows every road in town.

you will remember the area and be glad you got it in...it might only take an hour to wander through.

have fun and dont forget the trip report....
bob

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
2. Assuming we're staying somewhere central (I've heard that Colonial, Platino, and Aloha are good choices), could you recommend a couple of options for lunch and dinner that day? Something healthy and Dominican (unless there's a contradiction there!) would be great.

Speaking of healthy eating...I was in DR last week and I saw sign for a restaurant which I believe is named Olive's Light or Lite. It seems to carry a low-fat menu.
Is it opened yet and has anyone tried it?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
Someone mentioned to me that an Argentinian place..is that true?

2 different places...La Campagna is Dominican all the way...plus they have a pastry shop next door...the Argentine place from what Cobraboy says is down the road closer to the International Plaza....hes says past on the right same side...that means he has to be coming east with those directions!!!!

bob

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
...the Argentine place from what Cobraboy says is down the road closer to the International Plaza....hes says past on the right same side...that means he has to be coming east with those directions!!!!

bob
You are correct. It used to be Che Tango but moved to it's current location recently. I've eaten there twice, great food, especially the churrasco!