need help with employee rights

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
i would like to help a friend in dr that i believe is not getting her equal rights as an employee and would like some advice on who i can call to make her situation better. her shift is from 8am to 6pm with one hour of lunch at midday. now where she works they are so busy that she tells me that almost every day she can only take 15 minutes of lunch if that and thats at like 4pm if at all. she stays overtime every single day of the week sometimes till 730pm and they dont pay her extra hours. and thats monday thru saturday. another thing is she also has to work every single holiday of the year except new years and xmas day with out extra pay i think it is absolutely absurd. with all that she works she barely makes 8000rd a month and mind you she works for one of the countrys biggest tourism agencys. now i tell her all the time to stand up for her rights but she is too afraid to take legal action because shes afraid of getting fired or something of that nature which is usually the case with everyone out there who's going through this her excuse is that it is hard to find another job. now what can i do to help her? is there some type of labor department like here in the usa? where she can complain anonymously without jepaordizing her job and file a complaint so that they can investigate this company for violating employee work rights. please anyone know any informaiton would be gladly appreciated it. i know i can probably contact a lawyer but i just would like to know what my options are. if anything you can pm me or email me with some information.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Dominican Labor Code is territorial in scope, there is no regard to employees citizenship.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Have her go find a labor lawyer. The labor code, as I think HOWMAR can tell us. protects workers to the Nth degree. I do not believe that overtime, and holidays are free. That is exploitation, and thereby covered.
She had best document her experiences with witnesses and sworn statements.

HB

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
the problem is she is too afraid to take action all she wants to do is file an anonymous complaint against the company so that an investigation goes underway if possible.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
An anonymous complaint to the Labor Department will not be acted on. Yes, in practice, an employee who files a complaint may be retaliated against by the employer in the future. Probably the best way to approach this is to have all the employees sign onto the complaint ,as they all will benefit. The Labor Department can order back pay for the last year for any violations.