Requirements to bring dog into DR

cdnstudent

Mar 8, 2007
Hi:

Could someone tell me the requirements to bring a dog into the DR. I would fly into Puerto Plata.

faraway

Mar 8, 2007
What the noncens! We brought our dog, no problems, ask your vet about terms and conditions. good luck!

faraway

Mar 8, 2007
But keep in mind, everything depends on where you going to live, condominiums mostly don't alout to have a dog, so check this out.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Bring your dog. It is really no problem. We brought our dog and take him back and forth when we want. If you are coming from the US you will need:
1. Proof of up to date vaccinations,
2. Proof of rabies vac. with in one year (most important, we had to delay 2 weeks because of this one) and it must be a one year vac, and not the three year one
3. Letter of good health from your vet ( it is a standard form) and must be stamped by the USDA. This is easy as you can use overnight mail service if you are crunched for time.
This must be 30 days or less from your flight time. If you can get this wihtin two weeks it would be better
4. A $10 fee (donation) to the customs folks here in the DR.

It took about 5 minutes to clear our dog. He actually got his papers before we got our luggage.

PM me if you have other questions.

Bob K

cork

Aug 23, 2003
vet checks...

The vet checks are the easy part. Before you do anything contact the airline you are going to fly and get their requirements and understand thoroughly. You will be required to recite them at the airport to set tickets agents straight.

Know precisly at what temperatures your dog can fly or not fly. It is dependent on breed and temps every stop on your route. Know what weight requirements there are. Some bigger breeds have to fly cargo, a real problem. (weight includes the carrier)

It took us 6 months of research to finally get down here with our 4 dogs. (including a diet for the 2 bigs ones)