Santo Domingo, February 22-27

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Arrival ? I was handed a cup with Brugal and soda at the airport (I thought it was water ;) ), then taxi driver took me to a hotel in the Colonial Zone (don't remember the name). It was OK although I changed it to another one a couple of days later. First thing I found an Internet cafe, where I met some really nice people who spoke English and explained to me how to get to a bus station for transportation to the beach and La Romana. Later in the afternoon I went to see Playa Caribe which is a beautiful beach, but I could not swim (waves too strong).

Second day - took a historical tour of the Colonial city (very interesting and informative, saw all of the monuments in the center of Santo Domingo and spent some time in the Cathedral). My tour guide spoke good English, spent quite a bit or time with me, took me shopping to various stores for tourists. Later I found a regular supermarket and coffee for a cheaper price. I really liked Dominican coffee, great taste. In the evening I wanted to dance and went to club Liquid which was kind of empty and then to Loft which was full of action and very attractive people.

Saturday - La Romana, visited beautiful beach in Casa de Campo ? very warm and safe to swim.

Sunday ? church in the morning (very nice music during and after the service), visited University of Santo Domingo, Pedro Mir Library and then in the afternoon carnival in La Vega; it was interesting to look at all the masks and costumes but also very crowded:) I was so tired after it that and decided to go running late at night on Malecon which was not a good idea because I fell and cut skin on my knee. There were two little boys who walked with me to the hotel afterwards and also went to the pharmacy to get rubbing alcohol and cotton.

Monday ? went to the emergency room to put stitches on my knee and also got to see Rosa. Well, the rest of the time I could not work out so I took it easy. I was planning to go and see Santiago, but I guess this is something to do on my next trip :cheeky:

I was amazed how beautiful, nice and friendly Dominican people actually are. They gave me directions to all the best places to see and go to, they would offer to walk with me to where I wanted to be or offered me a ride in their cars. First I was kind of scared of such attitude and tried getting rid of them but most if them were really nice and actually did not accept any money for help. I guess they could tell I was a first time tourist who was kind of lost. But there were also guys who would offer to do something for me, like show me where a store or bank is and then come up with some sort of payment or a false story of why I had to give them money. One of them was not Dominican actually, so I guess obnoxious people come from all nationalities :ermm:

For the most part I had a great time. Dominican Republic is a wonderful place to visit which I would recommend to anyone. I am very much looking forward to going back there as soon as I can :bunny: There are a lot of parts of this island that I want to see and explore in the future. I am also planning to work hard on my Spanish language skills so that I could speak to the Dominicans on their native language. And I really appreciate all of the people on this website who give advice and share information helping to make our new trips easier and more enjoyable. :)