Holy Week 2007

bdhall54

Mar 10, 2007
As our vacation is getting closer, we find that we booked during Holy Week. Travel agent never said anything about this and now I am a little uneasy as I read the post from others.
Can someome tell me how Holy week affects resorts? We are staying at Iberostar in La Ramona from 3/30 - 4/6 I was thinking about a scuba trip, but if all water sports are closed will that be possible? Will the locals stay at this type of resort? Is it true that music is non-existant during this week?
I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about this trip. We have been going to the Dominican for the past 7 years and look forward to this trip

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
All water sports are normally banned from the wednesday or Thursday through to the sunday. No religiuos regions just so many drunken people in the water they get minced by propellers. The threee years i worked as an instructor here we always got permission to carry on and it was always taken away at the last minute by the Marina ge guerra. So I suggest you accept no diving fron thurs or Fri to the Sunday. Its ususally fine earlier in the week

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I think it is only motorized water sports that are curtailed at that time so you should still be able to scuba. Probrably locals will be at the resort at the same time. If you have been to the DR 7 times then you are somewhat familar with Dominican culture and can enjoy the diversity that the locals will bring.I am positive that there will be plenty of music being played. I am trying to make you feel better here. LOL
Personally, I love Dominicans but would not choose a holiday (especially Samana Santa) to stay at a resort. The locals are a bit wild and out of character when they are on holiday. They can be loud, pushy,slobs,demanding and down right rude to their own people who are serving them. Because of this the service will be directed towards the locals before tourists. I do not write these things to make you feel nervous but to give you an inside look as to what to expect.
You already have your vacation booked for this time so I say make the best of it. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.Maybe you will be lucky and they will all go to the new beaches in Juan Dolio instead.
Let us know how your vacation was during Samana Santa as compared to your other vacations at different times.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
ooops Me and Matilda were posting at the same time. She was a dive instructor in Juan Dolio and she knows better than me what is allowed. Not all is lost, you will have some days which allow scuba.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Sorry! To scuba usually need boat to get to reef - that is the problem! Also two years they banned snorkelling and kayaking too. it just depends on the particular policeman! And methinks how much you pay them! And then you pay them and the marina de guerra come and shut you down anyway. But as dulce says it is a great party week! Stay off the roads though as everyone is drunk when they drive and there are always loads of accidents. Best net is scuba at the beginning of the week, then get your gallon of rum, put a plastic bag on top of your curlers in your hair and go and stand in the ocean and get smashed along with everyone else!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
"Sorry! To scuba usually need boat to get to reef - that is the problem!"

Sometimes I am too blonde to think of the obvious. I have never scuba dived or snorkeled in my life and didn't even think of diving offshore instead of onshore. Aye Dios Mio! I have seen them give dive lessons in the resort swimming pools. That is about all I know about diving. Oh, and I used to frequently drink with the dive instructors in Juan Dolio.
Excuse me while I have a good laugh at myself. This cold New England winter weather has effected my brain.

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Alcohol on the beach

Ill be in D.R. this holy week. Ill be at Riu Bachata in La Bahia De Maimon, Puerto Plata I think I'll drive to Sosua, Cofresi, Cabarete or Playa Dorada and hang with the locals.

I plan on taking some Absolute Vodka and putting it in some Dasani Water bottles. Lets see the stupid cops confiscate that!

Damn I forgot.... No More Drinking And Driving

Damn AMET Damn AMET to Hell!!!

lol

p1

ISLAND QUEEN

Mar 12, 2007
During Holy Week,,,i Have Been There Serveral Times, Bayhibe Use To Be A Mass Of People Then They Sopped The Music..that What I Need To Know When Is The Music Stopped From Friday At 3 Until Sunday Am Or What?????i Have A Different Party Group Coming To My Home For Holy Week And I Have Stayed Home Or Ventured Out To The Campos For Gaga Let Me Know Whoever Can

JimmyB

Mar 27, 2007
I wrote an email to Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus because I will be there the week before Easter and I was told that it will be business as usuall and there will be no shutdown of anything.

>> Jim

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yes....the week BEFORE Easter....however Easter week (April4-6th actually) is quite different. No boats allowed in the water, nor water sports, music must be 'toned down' by 8 PM which is when the beaches closed (those that are allowed to remain open that is) and Politur makes sure no-one tries to 'camp out' overnight on the beach.
Beach road is so packed with cars you can't walk down it to get to the beach and there are people everywhere.
Last year there was gun fire on the public beach in Juan Dolio so it will be interesting to see what happens this year with the no glass bottles, no umbrellas, no cooking etc.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yes....the week BEFORE Easter....however Easter week (April4-6th actually) is quite different. No boats allowed in the water, nor water sports, music must be 'toned down' by 8 PM which is when the beaches closed (those that are allowed to remain open that is) and Politur makes sure no-one tries to 'camp out' overnight on the beach.
Beach road is so packed with cars you can't walk down it to get to the beach and there are people everywhere.
Last year there was gun fire on the public beach in Juan Dolio so it will be interesting to see what happens this year with the no glass bottles, no umbrellas, no cooking etc.