Breathalizers

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Does anyone know what the legal amount of alcohol consumed would be considered to be legally drunk?

Does one presidente get me locked up? Or can I have a couple?

Is it...

1 Presidente
2 Presidentes
3 Presidentes

Actually I think by the 3rd I'll be a bit twisted lol

Im concerned because im planning a vacation in april and I would'nt want this vacation to be a dry one.

P1

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Not sure what the amount is equivalent to...but questions are:

Are you going to be driving? If not why worry

If you do drive then are you going to be driving in an area where there is an AMET presence (i.e. Santo Domingo)...If not no need to worry either

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
passenger DUI

Remember that the new law states that the passenger can be arrested for being intoxicated!

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
passenger DUI

Passenger DUI, This is halarious

Aint that a bytch!

I guess I can't even Hire a driver to choffer my drunk azz arround anymore. LOL.

I'll be driving exept im gonna get a buddy of mine to lone me an AMET license plate.

Lets see them give me a ticket then.

Although the Citizens may not like me much when im drinking at a place and Im showing off the placa de AMET. I think im gonna have to think about that one.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Actually, this is just the tip of the iceberg. there are plans to establish a police state, with AMET as the regime's represive police. Along with the breathalizers, pepper sprays, there are rumors that a strong order has been placed for tasers and stun guns, and that all drivers and passengers deemed uncooperative will be sent, along with their automobiles, to a remote place called "El Canodromo". There is also talk about extraordinary rendition, and unsufferable tortures, like water boarding, to extract confessions from those foolhardy enough to deny they've been drinking....

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
There is also talk about extraordinary rendition, and unsufferable tortures, like water boarding, to extract confessions from those foolhardy enough to deny they've been drinking....

You're never going to have a problem with that.

Enough of the BS posts, I've had enough of them, one more and your gone.
I suggest you think long and hard before you click on the "Post" button next time.
Don't say you haven't been warned, because you have, many times!

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
[Hijacking the thread]
I wish the government would prohibit those jeepetas with huge speakers that blast amazingly high volume music, because this really turns any place into a living nightmare...
[/Hijacking the thread]

Now about DUI, I agree with the gvt, it is a good thing not to allow drunks to drive.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i agree too but a fine as punishment ? i also question not being locked up and your license suspended. are the breathalizers being calibrated ever so often so as to not give false-positives ? what's to stop the corruptness of the policia on tourists ?

but maybe i'm too american-ish on this subject

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I think this is being misinterpreted. As far as I know the "law" is not for passengers. The different levels of alcohol apply to private drivers (i.e. you are driving your own car) and public transportation drivers (i.e. a driver who takes passengers around). Maybe I misunderstood...

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I think this is being misinterpreted. As far as I know the "law" is not for passengers. The different levels of alcohol apply to private drivers (i.e. you are driving your own car) and public transportation drivers (i.e. a driver who takes passengers around). Maybe I misunderstood...
That's how I understand it also.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Minister responds to breathalyzer critics

quote dominicantoday.

Tamboril.- Interior and Police Minister Franklin Almeyda Rancier has called on beer manufacturers to change the focus of their advertising, as a way of saving lives, in response to concerns about the application of breathalyzer testing. He was critical of the fact that some quarters were questioning the use of pepper spray, which he said hadn?t been analyzed.

During a meeting with local community organizations in the northern town, Almeyda said that he was ?a little sorry that beer manufacturers especially are concerned about the subject. They are going to have to change their publicity, which should be directed in a way that helps us as well?.

According to the minister, it is preferable that an AMET officer should use pepper spray and not a bullet, ?because with a bullet there is no going back, while the spray does not affect anyone?s life and only causes momentary irritation and incapacity?.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Almeyda said that he was ?a little sorry that beer manufacturers especially are concerned about the subject. They are going to have to change their publicity, which should be directed in a way that helps us as well?.

According to the minister, it is preferable that an AMET officer should use pepper spray and not a bullet, ?because with a bullet there is no going back, while the spray does not affect anyone?s life and only causes momentary irritation and incapacity?.

The guy is right ! I am all for it ! I hope they will have the guts to really implement it...

ISLAND QUEEN

Mar 12, 2007
Are All Going To Fall Under The Juristiction Of The Test Or Are The So Called Elite Going To Be Exempt Or Will The Officer Take The Usual Bribe....also How Can A Passenger Be Given Such A Test..and Putting Guns, Real And Guns Stunt In The Hands Of These People Is Crazy

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I realize this is an older thread, but I would like to hear from current residents how, and to what extent, is this currently being implemented?

I am 100000% against drunk driving in any country, that's just asking for trouble.

But I have a hard time envisioning this really being carried out in an "un-corrupt" way.

I remember one of my first times in the DR, being a passenger in a jeepeta and quickly and nervously hiding my Presidente as a polica pulled up beside us...no one with me could figure out why I did this..as they all (including the driver) were still sitting and drinking with their Presidentes in full sight..the polica saw, but didn't care....

It's something I got used to over time, though I don't agree with drunk driving..(thats what cabs are for!!!!!!) but I am very interested to know how well this in particular is being enforced..?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It's not...They tried it for a few days in the larger cities but apparently ran out of the disposable thingies so not enforcing anymore (as long as I know).

Nov 3, 2007
i dont knwo where you guys have ben living at, but i get pulled oer every other friday night and i keep my beer right inbetween my legs when i get pulled over and the cops or amets leave mean alone everytime after i give them a story about how im ****ed how my wife just left me and im in a hurry.

now aslong as the drunk driving incidents are at a low, they will never realy enforce these drunk driving laws. think about it, how many times have u ever even seen a major car accident in santo domingo for example, in lets say 4 months time? i have to tell you i have never, ever seen a major car accident in the 10 months i jsut spent in the capital, i seen fender benders and things liek that but never anybody laid out with there guts hanging out of there car and a beer in there hand.

now here in florida where i am staying for the next 4 months, i saw a major car accident within the first week here

truth is, dominicans can handle there liquor

N

naturelover

i have my foot on the break all the time as a passenger would this count as driving

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Has there been anymore clarification on this subject. Everywhere that I've checked it says that DUI is enforced for professional drivers only...of course the new laws may not have caught up to the websites that I checked.