VERY complicated visa question...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i want to smack minovio with a snowball this winter so i am taking him home for crimbo. now - no flights to poland so we have to fly zig-zagging.

ideally i want to fly to berlin, take him home, then pack up and visit a friend in london and fly from there back to DR.

now, can dominicans fly to europe on way one ticket? he'd have a ticket on a way back but from different country.

next: regardless of where we fly to minovio would neen a multiple entry visa. lets say in worse case scenario we fly to madrid from there to berlin, from there car to poland, car back to belin, from there flight to london, another flight london-madrid and then back here. ufff....

sounds hopeless already. he needs to send his passport to venezuela for polish visa! or maybe we will do it in the states. or mexico. messy business.

any advice? how much for uk visa, how long it takes, can he get one now for xmas or he has to apply just before? same for german visa?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
wow, that's a pretty complicated schedule. If you would stay within the Schengen area it would be easy to hop from country to country, but Poland and the UK are outside. I suppose if you have a Schengen visa for Germany and Spain getting one for the UK and Poland is a bit easier, but still lot's of paperwork. Also, I think usually to get a visa for European countries as an inidvidual you need to have someone there inviting you and often even standing as a guarantee. Maybe friends and/or family there?
I'm pretty sure you can forget getting a short-time visa on a one-way ticket. On the other hand, I don't think Dominicans need a transit visa for a Schengen country, but that would mean you cannot visit people in Madrid or Berlin, and would have to fly from Berlin to Poland.
Good luck figuring this all out!

Anna, that trip report is completely different, because it's travel within the Schengen area. Those countries don't have border control anymore anyway, once you're in you can travel between countries freely. It's completely different if you want to go to a non-Schengen country, like Switzerland, Poland or the UK.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
You are right, this is complicated. But, I think it is easier as he has or has had a US visa in the past, correct?

You can get him a return air ticket. One way to wherever you start and a return ticket from wherever you end up equals a return ticket. YOu just have to show he has a flight home again along with all the flights in between.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
let me explain why this schedule from hell:
looks like there are few options only as to where we can fly in the europe on the cheap. and cheap is has to be since there's two of us. also we cannot get a stand by seat for charter - i want to know beforehand all the dates, pay the ticket before they sky rocket and let minovio prepare mentally for the ice age.

as i said, in a perfect world we'd fly to berlin, it's two hours drive from szczecin, MY TOWN. i do not want to imprison minovio in cold, wintry poland, why not travel somewhere when we are in europe already? i'd like to show him london and we can stay at my friend's house, for free. and yes, she can write a letter of invitation. this is why it'd be ideal to fly to berlin and out of london.

but i am ready to travel wherever it will take us, i really want to go home for xmas...

yes, minovio does have an american visa and he's had them all his life. he has also travelled to europe 4 or 5 times and had schengen visas. now, i know his grandma has multiple entry schengen visa (for 5 years) so should he try for that one too? we plan to travel to europe once a year so that may be wise.

can ANY embassy give him schengen visa?

btw poland is in schengen but it is i believe called "small schengen". of course i can travel without passport all over europe but poor minovio cannot - and he's not gonna be able to even after we get married - polish law.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
dv8.
First with regard to UK visa situation, if you haven't got all the necessary info from Matilda, go into the British Consulate in Calle Beller & have a chat with Mendez! I am sure if he does not have the information at his fingertips then he will phone Santo Domingo whilst you are there & GET the info!!

Puerto Plata to Brussels is presently 300 Euro (15th Oct.) & 350 Euro (22nd Oct.) per person, but these are the last flights showing on their schedule for 2007! Brussels to Berlin is currently showing as 70 Euro per person via Brussels Air!

PM/e-mail or speak to me when you next return books to the boss & I'll fill you in on all items!! ~ Grahame.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
yes, minovio does have an american visa and he's had them all his life. he has also travelled to europe 4 or 5 times and had schengen visas. now, i know his grandma has multiple entry schengen visa (for 5 years) so should he try for that one too? we plan to travel to europe once a year so that may be wise.

can ANY embassy give him schengen visa?
Does his grandma has a temporary residency for a European country maybe? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think European countries have something like a 5 year visa. There's either 3-month visa, longer visa for people working or studying, or provisional residency status. But maybe some countries have exceptions, and you could check what kind of visa Poland has.
Any embassy can give him a Schengen visa, as long as it is the one you are actually travelling to and the one you have someone inviting you.
I think there's plenty of options. But one thing I don't think will be possible is flying into Europe in one country and out from another on one-way tickets. This apart from the fact that one-way tickets are more expensive and often not even offered.
You could limit you trip to the UK and Poland, get visa for those countries, wait for the British charters to offer flights in the christmas period, and book book return flights DR-London and London-Poland.
Or, if you don't want to wait for the charters, you could book a return flight from the DR to a Schengen country (e.g. Madrid, Brussels, Frankfurt), and get one-way tickets from that airport to Poland, Poland to London, and London again to that airport. If you would only use the Schengen country airport for transit you would still only need a Polish and British visa.
Or, you could get all three visa (UK, Poland and Schengen), book a return flight now to Madrid, Brussels or Frankfurt, and travel around Europe on a Grand Tour as you please. But that would mean you would probably need an invitation from the Schengen country you're flying into first.
By the way, Aircomet already has pretty reasonably priced return flights from Santo Domingo to Madrid for the Christmas period. Fligths between Spain and the UK are normally very cheap, and probably Madrid to Berlin too. Any family in Spain?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no family in spain, the only friend has just moved to canada! oh, i have forgotten that minovio has friends there...
no friends/family in germany, flight there is for transit purpose only - even thou i love germany.
granda has american residency, maybe that makes all the difference. and she's very ancient, no one would think she wants to stay in europe illegally!

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
i want to smack minovio with a snowball this winter so i am taking him home for crimbo. now - no flights to poland so we have to fly zig-zagging.

ideally i want to fly to berlin, take him home, then pack up and visit a friend in london and fly from there back to DR.

now, can dominicans fly to europe on way one ticket? he'd have a ticket on a way back but from different country.

next: regardless of where we fly to minovio would neen a multiple entry visa. lets say in worse case scenario we fly to madrid from there to berlin, from there car to poland, car back to belin, from there flight to london, another flight london-madrid and then back here. ufff....

sounds hopeless already. he needs to send his passport to venezuela for polish visa! or maybe we will do it in the states. or mexico. messy business.

any advice? how much for uk visa, how long it takes, can he get one now for xmas or he has to apply just before? same for german visa?

No to ty masz powaznie pojebane...

Feb 7, 2007
OK, this is the way you can accomplish it:

Buy the round trip ticket into Poland, via Germany or other EU country, but not entering into Shengen (buy on Condor/Lufthansa, Iberia, Air France, etc.)

Get the Polish visa

Enter poland, wait until 1st of January 2008. Poland should be in Shengen as of that date. Drive into Germany, as airports would not be in Shengen until mid-2008, only land traffic would be as of 1 Jan 2008. You won't need german visa that way.

There is a risk involved: The Jan 1 2008 is agreed-upon and pretty much fixed date, but it still depends on Poland meeting Shengen requirements by June 2007. So there may be some risk involved in this scenario, but it's pretty much the most straightforward scenario you can have.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the only thing is - damn dominican holiday! we cannot go away for that long... by 31st of december we have to be back in DR.....
but good for future references, i am polish and i had no idea we are to join schengen....
thanks!