Canadian - $$$ where to get currency...?

lavistabonita

Feb 28, 2007
Should I be getting some RD$ before I go?

Are there places at the DR airports to exchange US$ to RD$?

My main concern is paying cab driver from the airport & then taking Carribe Tours Bus? Will they accept US$?

What about checking in at hotel... Cash or Credit Card?

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Cash and curency comments

"Should I be getting some RD$ before I go?"
NO.

"Are there places at the DR airports to exchange US$ to RD$?"
YES but you may get a better rate in town than at the Airport.

"My main concern is paying cab driver from the airport & then taking Carribe Tours Bus? Will they accept US$?"
YES. Taxi rate will probably be quoted in USD. Caribe OK but check the going rate first.

"What about checking in at hotel... Cash or Credit Card?"
DEPENDS on the hotel. Many don't ask for any money til you check out.

The general consensus is that turning our loonies into USD in Canada -- even with an exchange discount lost -- still results in a better rate to RDP once you get there since the Canadian dollar to RDP rate is usually poor. Travellers cheques in USD of course have a bit better security though some changers don't give as good a rate (0.5% less) than for cash.

My opinions which will not be shared by all.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
where are you going?

I have found in the past that it really depends on the area that you are visiting. For example, its easy to exchange Canadian dollars in Sosua and Cabarete but not so much in the town of Puerto Plata.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Right. and ...

I should have added -- in case the OP isn't aware of it -- ATMs are common and reliable MOST OF THE TIME. Search DR1 for advice on using them -- what to do and what not to do.