Satellite Picture Of Pollution?

kcgirl

Mar 3, 2007
THIS PICUTRE I SAW WAS A RIVER FLOWING INTO THE OCEAN JUST EAST OF SANTO DOMINGO. AT THE OUTLET OF THE RIVER THE COLOR TURN BROWN WAS THIS RAW SEWAGE GOING INTO THE OCEAN? IS THIS WHY THE PROPERTY IS SO MUCH CHEAPER THAN ANY OTHER ISLANDS? IS DR POLLUTED?? DID THEY REALLY SPEND 30 MIL AT THE NORTH COAST FOR A CLEAN UP PROJECT FOR POLLUTION?
THE PICTURES I SEE MAKE DR LOOK GREAT TO COME TO- AND EVEN PURCHASE A WINTER HOME-
BU:confused: T I NEED TO KNOW THE TRUTH.. DOES IT HAVE A POLLUTION PROBLEM?

coho

On Vacation!
Mar 4, 2007
YES.................like any other third world country......perhaps the brown from the river is just silt from heavy rains..

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yes...the brown in the river is just silt.....if you look closely at any river going into the ocean or sea it will be brown where the fresh and salt water mingle due to currents ,waves action, tides and recent rainfall.....

Sep 19, 2005
if the river ran through a valley or low lying area before it reached the ocean it will certainly have silt and sediment, and if there was a recent heavy rain for sure it would be very brown. There is erosion problems in the DR for sure...I am not sewage would make the water look brown...probably more dark gray.

I have seen a satelite photo of a river that empties into the ocean west of Santo Domingo...actually west of Azua as well. And it was very whitish , because it was coming off the mountains, which have long since washed out most of the sediment in its path and left a rocky river bed... actually it is a very nice picture.

bob

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
.... I have seen a satelite photo of a river that empties into the ocean west of Santo Domingo...actually west of Azua as well. And it was very whitish , because it was coming off the mountains, which have long since washed out most of the sediment in its path and left a rocky river bed... actually it is a very nice picture. bob

Bob, the river is the Jura, and the sediment is from limestone rock. The river runs from the mountains north of Peralta, where, by the way, there are a few great swimming areas where the river has cut deep gulleys in the rock. I would recommend a Sunday outing, with open fire cooking (a locrio de camarones would do... ;-). Give me a call, I would join you with my family....

Sep 19, 2005
Google Maps

hope this shows what i wanted....

you now i was thinking it might have been limestone....but since i was'nt sure i didnt speak of it.

great looking area.

bob

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Google Maps

hope this shows what i wanted....

you now i was thinking it might have been limestone....but since i was'nt sure i didnt speak of it.

great looking area.

bob

Bob, that's not the Jura river, it's a mountaing river crossing by one of the small towns south of Barahona, maybe Paraiso...

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Mirador

Bob, that's not the Jura river, it's a mountaing river crossing by one of the small towns south of Barahona, maybe Paraiso...

It is Paraiso...Good Guess...It's limestone beds get powdery after a few days with no rain and if you use the Goolgle Earth site then you can be rest assured those photos are at least a year old because my house is not in the satellite image of Paraiso and I am 5 minutes north of that river..And was built during last summer and fall 2006..Anyway when we get a good downpour the water turns milky color and highlights the ocean for a good distance out to sea as that river emptys into the sea...The rest of the water that pools into little swimming holes that can be seen from the Rt#44 bridge are clear as the sediment had 24 + hours to settle...Only moving water will carry that white color for 24 hours or so...

Sep 19, 2005
isnt it strange that Los Patos doesnt have the same discharge....the water is crystal clear there.

We went as far south west as Enriquillo on the coast before we went inland a half mile or so.

bob

Feb 9, 2006
Ozama?

I think the OP is referring to the Ozama and that lovely flow that sends it down the coastline. Yes, it is pollution AND silt. You start with a 3rd world country. Throw in runoff from agriculture, mining, and people as it moves through the country. Toss in a huge metropolitan city with less than adequate sewage and storm runoff control. Then finish it up by winding it through some of the most downtrodden barios...with little in the way of plumbing or pavement. At the end, it's called pollution.

But, OP, that's just Santo Domingo, not the whole country. And take a look at any major coastal city in the world with a river that meets the ocean. Bet you don't find many live people swimming around in it.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
That river has always puzzled me... One time I went by there and it wasn't white at all. Always wondered if the lime sediment did not come from a processing plant upriver...

This has always been another theory..But if you see the river bed up close meaning there is an access road just past the south end of the Bridge you can rub your hand on the rocks and see your palm turn white....= water+white powder= white water....

Sep 19, 2005
We know your not Bob.Try not to be so hard on yourself.
I for one really enjoy reading what you have to say.

I have to say that, because people look at me like I am some times , ha ha ha.....

I guess i left out the word sure......

now a story about leaving out words...my buddy who took me to the DR for the first time 5 years ago is dominican. He is one of my hunting buddies who i took under my wing years ago...he has always spoken broken english...

but if I followed the conversation, I could figure out what he was trying to say.

he on the other hand only keyed in on certain words in the sentences that others spoke,... and he would react based on the words he knew..

so hunting pheasants, a bird goes up and flyes back over our heads to towards the road...

I yell DONT SHOOT.

what word registers in his mind???....sure the one he WANTS to hear....just ...SHOOT

his mind forgets the word DONT.........

sorry for that rambling

bob

Sep 19, 2005
THIS PICUTRE I SAW WAS A RIVER FLOWING INTO THE OCEAN JUST EAST OF SANTO DOMINGO. AT THE OUTLET OF THE RIVER THE COLOR TURN BROWN WAS THIS RAW SEWAGE GOING INTO THE OCEAN? IS THIS WHY THE PROPERTY IS SO MUCH CHEAPER THAN ANY OTHER ISLANDS? IS DR POLLUTED?? DID THEY REALLY SPEND 30 MIL AT THE NORTH COAST FOR A CLEAN UP PROJECT FOR POLLUTION?
THE PICTURES I SEE MAKE DR LOOK GREAT TO COME TO- AND EVEN PURCHASE A WINTER HOME-
BU:confused: T I NEED TO KNOW THE TRUTH.. DOES IT HAVE A POLLUTION PROBLEM?

I dont know if you are still following your thread here. But are you sure the satelite photo was EAST of Santo Domingo??

from the photos I have seen the river WEST of the capitol has a stream of brown flowing out of it..enough of a slick to think that there is a discharge. Even though It isnt really identifiable from the photos...ie, there is no plant or treat ment facitilty at the head of the brown stream.

on the other side of the city( actually in the middle of the city from the satelie view...because SD sprawls out eastward....the river Ozama( I think) doesnt appear to be brown at all. It is the one that flows right past the colonial zone. I dont see any broan in that water. then as i scan eastward i dont see any more ribers until you get past Boca Chica.

so i am wondering HOW FAR EAST of the capitol were you looking ?

bob