Buying in Llanos de Gurabo, good idea or bad?

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
I've notice alot of construction going on around Llanos de Guraba. I have a friend recommending I invest in an apt there. I think it's Llanos 9. He recommends to deal with Hacienda Inmobiliaria.

Since I don't live in DR yet, I was wondering from those who do, what is your take on that area in general. Is it worth the money?
What are the advantages/ disadvantages of buying in that area?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That is probably Inmobiliaria Hacienda Gutierrez. Well known. I like the area. It is certainly not a bad idea, and Arnulfo Gutierrez has made a name for himself as a developer.
If you can afford it, I'd say go for it but not sight unseen. Visit the area when you are next in country...

Stop by here for coffee...

HB

C

Chip00

I've notice alot of construction going on around Llanos de Guraba. I have a friend recommending I invest in an apt there. I think it's Llanos 9. He recommends to deal with Hacienda Inmobiliaria.

Since I don't live in DR yet, I was wondering from those who do, what is your take on that area in general. Is it worth the money?
What are the advantages/ disadvantages of buying in that area?

I live in Los II which is right down the street from Los I and don't really have a lot of complaints. In fact I bet the apartments you are talking about are the ones just down the street for me.

We haven't had any breakins in the area in the year that we have lived here but we did have some drunk idiot shoot a hole in our front window. I've tracked the guy down and he moved to NY - it appears he was passing through and decided to showoff his revolver.

Thre is a decent albeit small supermecado abotu a half a mile away and of course Nazarios colmado that usually has cold beer. El Nacional que tiene to' is only 10 min. away and a bilingual school that my daughter goes to is right down the street.

Downtown takes me about 10 min. on the motorbike to get there and 15 or so in the jipeta. Where I'm at on the outskirts of Los Llanos still has a semi rural feeling which I like. Also, there is a cool breeze that comes down from the mountains even in the summer that make having an ac really unneccesary.

I know a lot of my neighbors and we have a junta and we all watch out for eachother. The police may not come on time but I know they will with pistols drawn if I start yelling.

I don't know how much you are paying for your house but if it is up to RD5M I bet I can find you one from the same homebuilder that built mine. It is 2 story and over 3000 sf.

Nonetheless we will be neighbors so give us a ring when you get here. As long as you speak English to me I don't think the wife will be jealous, if you speak Spanish, though it will be a certain death blow to any friendship hahah!(just kidding - kind of!):cheeky:

Chip

Last edited:

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
That is probably Inmobiliaria Hacienda Gutierrez. Well known. I like the area. It is certainly not a bad idea, and Arnulfo Gutierrez has made a name for himself as a developer.
If you can afford it, I'd say go for it but not sight unseen. Visit the area when you are next in country...

Stop by here for coffee...

HB

Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on it. I'm planning to go down there in May for a wedding.

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
I don't know how much you are paying for your house but if it is up to RD5M I bet I can find you one from the same homebuilder that built mine. It is 2 story and over 3000 sf.

Chip

Correction - It's actually Jardines Llanos de Gurabo 8 wich I'm currently looking into. It's an apt not a house.

But thanks so much for the advise...sounds like a good area. But of course, will need to see it for myself before I can make any decision.

Can I ask what is the closest medical center (clinic) to the area?

Last edited:
C

Chip00

Correction - It's actually Jardines Llanos de Gurabo 8 wich I'm currently looking into. It's an apt not a house.

But thanks so much for the advise...sounds like a good area. But of course, will need to see it for myself before I can make any decision.

Can I ask what is the closest medical center (clinic) to the area?

La Union Medica, supposedly the best one and certainly the costliest is only 10 min. away. There is also the La Materno close by near the Plaza Internacional which is only a stone's throw from La Union.

rrouzard

Feb 29, 2008
Hey Chip,

I am actually purchasing an apt. in Llanos de Gurabo in the Res. Guitierrez Country. Do you have any feedback about the area? Would purchasing an apartment there be worthwhile? How far is the nearest shopping center? Are there any forms of public transportation; being that it is a rural area? Any useful info would serve me well and be greatly appreciated.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
La Union Medica, supposedly the best one and certainly the costliest is only 10 min. away. There is also the La Materno close by near the Plaza Internacional which is only a stone's throw from La Union.

La Union Medica is just expensive but NOT the best, my little brother had surgery there a few years ago, they left something inside him, plus don't know how many organs in the wrong place, after a year of the surgery my brother was in so much pain that we rushed him to emergency (Centro Medico Cibao), they had to called a Surgeon from "La Capital" the surgery lasted 14 hours, we were all crying when we saw all the doctors and nurses running in and out, my brother live was in the line.

It cost us 800,000 Dominican pesos, our insurance just covered 500,000.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hey Chip,

I am actually purchasing an apt. in Llanos de Gurabo in the Res. Guitierrez Country. Do you have any feedback about the area? Would purchasing an apartment there be worthwhile? How far is the nearest shopping center? Are there any forms of public transportation; being that it is a rural area? Any useful info would serve me well and be greatly appreciated.

Hey neighbor, it is right behind my house. :)

By all accounts this is a good, safe and quiet area. There are a few small grocery stores nearby that have delivery for RD30 and the Supermecado Nacional is only 5 to 10 min away.

While there isn't a public route that goes by your development a motoconco or taxi can take you to either La 27 or Carr. Luperon for a nominal fee so you can pick up transportion there.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
La Union Medica is just expensive but NOT the best, my little brother had surgery there a few years ago, they left something inside him, plus don't know how many organs in the wrong place, after a year of the surgery my brother was in so much pain that we rushed him to emergency (Centro Medico Cibao), they had to called a Surgeon from "La Capital" the surgery lasted 14 hours, we were all crying when we saw all the doctors and nurses running in and out, my brother live was in the line.

It cost us 800,000 Dominican pesos, our insurance just covered 500,000.

"La Union Medica, supposedly the best one and certainly the costliest is only 10 min."

English lesson primo, "supposedly" is equal to "dizque" or "se dicen".

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
"La Union Medica, supposedly the best one and certainly the costliest is only 10 min."

English lesson primo, "supposedly" is equal to "dizque" or "se dicen".

I just confirmed that the rumor is not true.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I just confirmed that the rumor is not true.

Your "NOT" in caps would be a little strong then and could be taken as confrontational - not an expected response when someone uses a term like "supposedely". You should learn from this rather than being defensive, just like I should listen to native language speakers like yourself when talking about Spanish. :)

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Your "NOT" in caps would be a little strong then and could be taken as confrontational - not an expected response when someone uses a term like "supposedely". You should learn from this rather than being defensive, just like I should listen to native language speakers like yourself when talking about Spanish. :)

ENOUGH about my lack English grammatical abilities ;)

I used to visit one of my cousin that used to lived in "Lost llanos de Gurabo", That was between 1995-1999, everytime i was in "Los Llanos" like around 12 noon to 2 pm when it was very hot, a lot of Tarantula used to go inside the house, does that happen in your house? or it used to happened? that area was not that developed back then.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Apartments are a save bet in many of Santiago Middle class Neighborhoods.
I drive by La carretera los Rieles and the one that come out to Farmacia Mia everyday to pick up Mia Karina from school.
Plus I have family members and close friends that live in that sector.
A very clean and quite part of town, no negatives.
I you are planing on using as a personal home also look for friend near by, for a rental property is good for young professionals, if your looking for a rental property for college students...could be use since you cna cut across Santiago and get to PUCMA or UTESA without many traffic lights...
suerte.

rrouzard

Feb 29, 2008
Map of Santiago

Hey Chip,

Thanks for the feedback on Los Llanos de Gurabo. As I stated previously, I am purchasing an apt. at Res. Guitierrez Country in December. With that being said, I saw on one post that you have a detailed map of Santiago with all the streets. I was just wondering if you could e-mail this map to me. Also, I do know that a gps system is pretty futile out there, but was curious about a way of uploading maps onto the gps so as to circumvent the fact that most gps systems do not have uploaded maps of the DR.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hey Chip,

Thanks for the feedback on Los Llanos de Gurabo. As I stated previously, I am purchasing an apt. at Res. Guitierrez Country in December. With that being said, I saw on one post that you have a detailed map of Santiago with all the streets. I was just wondering if you could e-mail this map to me. Also, I do know that a gps system is pretty futile out there, but was curious about a way of uploading maps onto the gps so as to circumvent the fact that most gps systems do not have uploaded maps of the DR.

Send me a pm with your email and send one to lajackael (Charles) to ask about the gps as he swears by it here in the DR.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
ENOUGH about my lack English grammatical abilities ;)

I used to visit one of my cousin that used to lived in "Lost llanos de Gurabo", That was between 1995-1999, everytime i was in "Los Llanos" like around 12 noon to 2 pm when it was very hot, a lot of Tarantula used to go inside the house, does that happen in your house? or it used to happened? that area was not that developed back then.

thre are still a few cakatas but not so many any more.