Property in Santo Domingo

MickA

Mar 13, 2007
Could anyone advise me whether property prices in the zona colonial are rising or falling and whether it would be considered a good investment.

Anything on potential pitfalls would also be appreciated.

Sarcastic/rude people please refrain.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
They have steadily increased over the past few years. I'm sure you could still pick up a bargain, just need to do the leg work and pound the streets. I know a couple of people that have brought floors in old buildings in the last couple of months with the intention of sub-dividing them into apartments. I'm sure they will do very well :)

What are you looking for?

MickA

Mar 13, 2007
Looking for a small 1-bed, around $40k, which I can use as a pied a terre and also rent when I'm unable to get there.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You're going to have to pound the pavements, ask around etc etc.
You may find something for that price if your lucky, just might need some work.
3-4 years ago, you would have had lots of options with $40K to spend, now, it's going to be work.

MickA

Mar 13, 2007
Well I've seen a 1 bed casita with living room on the ground floor & bedroom above on at ?30,000. It's immediately usable, although one would want to have the kitchen and bathroom done fairly quickly. It's in the zona colonial close to Independence Square.

I've only seen 3, so I don't want to leap in feet first, but your comments are interesting. I am serious about doing this, and the strength of the ? against the $ seems to make it a good time to do it.

I have the cash in a UK account paying about 5%, so if the capital appreciation is above this, I have an insurance policy against not being able to get over or not being able to rent it.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The other thing to consider are the good and bad locations of the Colonial Zone. What areas have blackouts, low water supply, no parking, what areas have no street lighting etc etc.

The only people I have seen do very well in the Colonial Zone are those that took the time to walk the streets, network and find out what's going etc.

MickA

Mar 13, 2007
I have spent about a week making enquiries, and have another trip planned. What I've found is that smaller properties appear to be a bit thin on the ground.

No-one know the future, but would 5% be a reasonable figure for capital appreciation over the last few years?

Thanks for your comments by the way.

SeeDominic

Mar 21, 2007
Hello:

I am new this site, my name is Sue, from Canada.

My Aunt and a few of our family friends love to retire to Dominican Republic but we are amazed to find out how high the reals estate market is there: you can buy a nice place in many parts of Canada much cheaper than that. We are wondering as how Dominicians can afford those prices?

MickA

Mar 13, 2007
There are a lot of $1,000,000+ properties on the internet - these are large luxury houses in prime areas. There are plenty of good houses in good neighbourhoods for a fraction of this, but you will have to go there and ask around to find them.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
"thin" ??

I have spent about a week making enquiries, and have another trip planned. What I've found is that smaller properties appear to be a bit thin on the ground.

No-one know the future, but would 5% be a reasonable figure for capital appreciation over the last few years?

Thanks for your comments by the way.

Not familiar with this term. What does it mean?
john

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
All depends on the location, I know some properties that have been flipped for 50% more in the last couple of years.

One thing is for sure, property prices are not going down here :)