How fast do you get a yes or no?

Jenna

Mar 12, 2007
canadian visa questions.

My Boyfriend (DR) AND Myself (Can.) are starting the process of applying for a visa for him.
Dose anyone know if it is easier to get a Visitors visa or a student visa?
He would like to come visit and take some English courses. He already has 2 years of courses (taken in the DR) but would like to improve. Anyways... Also dose anyone know if he would have to apply for both a visitors and a student visa or just a student if he is accepted to a school? Any other tips or info that anyone would like to share with me will always be appreciated! Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If he is going to take an English course, he needs an acceptance letter from the school plus the normal bulls--t that the immigration will put you through. If you say that you are his girlfriend and are inviting him he doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell in getting a visa. Notice the spelling of course; perhaps you should take the course also.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
More difficult

If he goes for a student visa and is accepted he will be coming to live with me and my family while he is in shcool. Do you know if that will make it any more difficult? or easier?

Read Bob's post again. If they get a hint that he will be with his girlfriend he doesn't have much of a chance. Host family maybe but not girlfriend. They will have doubts of him returning if he is with his girlfriend.;)

Read the link

Jenna

Mar 12, 2007
So if he is to stay with me and my family we should just apply as his host family and leave out the part that we are in a relationship? would this not make things down the road more difficult if we decided to get married and have him apply for citizenship? will they ask for the date our relationship started? Also once we have our start and finish dates for his courses here I am going to apply for school there to work on my spanish and I will be living with him there at that time. Would this help to prove he is going back? I know no one out there has all the answers but suggestions, oppinions and experience stories all help. Thanks!

Jenna

Mar 12, 2007
Im just wondering..... Dose anyone know about how long it takes to get a yes or no answer for a visitors visa from the time you go to Santo Domingo and speak to a visa officer??
Thanks!!!

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Im just wondering..... Dose anyone know about how long it takes to get a yes or no answer for a visitors visa from the time you go to Santo Domingo and speak to a visa officer??
Thanks!!!
Are you talking about a US visa?

Who are you applying for? There are many things you may want to know if we have some more detail. Like....is this for your boyfriend?

-Tim

chago

Feb 22, 2007
It takes two weeks for them to say no... because they will say no. Unless you are the luckiest person in the world. Or have millions.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I merged the two threads. No point starting a new thread for each question asked by same poster.

We see and read all ;)

Jenna

Mar 12, 2007
Are you talking about a US visa?

Who are you applying for? There are many things you may want to know if we have some more detail. Like....is this for your boyfriend?

-Tim

Yes for my Boyfriend. For a Canadian visitors visa. Here is what we would like to do.

He would like to come here to study and, learn more about where I am from. He has found a school to go to starting September 24th ending
December 16th. At the end of his stay here ( if approved ) we would return to the DR together. At that time I would start Spanish classes. So the plan is to show the visa officer his and my acceptance letters to school in the DR. Hopefully mine will help prove he plans to return to the DR after his stay in Canada. Nothings 100% I know but we are going to give it a go. Anyways I am just wondering if anyone can give me a idea of how long it takes to get approved or declined. We are planning on going to Santo Domingo some time in May so I am just wondering if it will be enough time from May( the time he applies) to September ( the time the course starts in Canada) if not we will search for courses starting later.
Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jenna

Mar 12, 2007
we don't want to give up before we even try.

Is there any advise anyone can give other than "give up"?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Requirements to study in Canada

Introduction
Please read the following instructions carefully before completing the enclosed form. They will answer many of your questions and help you avoid delays.

Letter of acceptance
Every person who wishes to study in Canada must first obtain a letter of acceptance from a school, college or university recognized by the province of destination. This letter must describe the type of studies to be undertaken, the duration of the course including the date of registration (or the date the courses start) and the applicable tuition fees.

Application for student permit
The attached form must be completed in block letters or typed. You must answer all questions. If a question does not apply, write N/A (not applicable). The spouse and children under 18, if applicable, may be included on the principal applicant's form. Please return the forms and the required documents to one of the addresses on the first page of these instructions or in person at Canadian Embassy Visa Section, Route de Delmas, Between Delmas 71 and 75, Port-au-Prince, Ha?ti, any morning between 8:00 and 11:00 (except Friday and last Thursday of the month).

Photographs
Attach four recent passport-size photos to the application. Write the name on the back of each photo. More photos may be required.
Documents
The original and a photocopy of the following documents must be included with your application:
  1. Letter of acceptance from the school or university
  2. Valid passport(s)
  3. School recirds and diplomas
  4. Proof of funds
  5. Birth certificate(s)
  6. Mariage certificate (if applicable)
  7. Divorce certificate (if applicable)
  8. Any other required documents
Proof of funds and support
A student must submit proof of funds with the application. The following documents should be provided:
  1. Documents proving that the applicant has a sure source of funds to pay tuition, living expenses and return transportation. We will accept a recent bank statement and one covering the previous twelve months for the person covering all of the expenses, as well as an employment specifying the functions, the salary and the length of the employment.
  2. If a relative in Canada is taking responsibility for tuition and living expenses, a sworn decaration is required from that relative. The declaration must also describe the family relationship between the relative and the applicant. This declaration must be accompanied by proof of family relationship with the applicant.
  3. The person taking responsibility for expenses (either the applicant or a relative in Canada) must complete an Financial Assessment form.
Processing fees
You will have to pay a fee for the processing of your application.
Can$ 110US$ 105Gourdes 4060Fees are not refundable. Exact change only.
Interview
If necessary, an interview may be arranged with a visa officer. We will inform you of the date and time of the appointment. For applicants outside Ha?ti, you will be advised of the modalities.

To study in Qu?bec
If you are destined to Qu?bec, you must obtain your Certificat d'acceptation du Qu?bec (CAQ). For more information, you must contact the Minist?re des Relations avec les Citoyens et de l?Immigration, Services aux candidats ? l?Immigration au 276 St-Jacques, 5?me ?tage, Montr?al, Qu?bec H3N 1K2. Tel: (514) 864-9191/9231; fax (514) 873-9930/1. Website: Immigration et Communaut?s culturelles Qu?bec - Page d'accueil

Processing time
A minimum period of four weeks is required to process a student application. The applicant must submit an application well in advance before the beginning of the course at the school or university. A student permit will not be issued after the beginning of the program of studies.

Protection of personal information
Canadian law guaranties that personal information will be treated confidentially. No personal information will be divulged to a third party without the prior written authorization of the person concerned. Given the impossibility of identifying a person on the telephone, we cannot supply any personal information except in writing.

Correspondence with the Embassy
In all correspondence with the Embassy, it is important that you include your file number, your current telephone number and your current address. We discourage all requests for information since these could cause additional delays.

Applicants outside Haiti
Applicants who are outside Ha?ti or Dominican Republic are asked to submit their applications, documents and passport by courrier service. Please include a prepaid coupon for the return of the passport and documents. Otherwise, the passport and documents will be returned by regular mail. Please note that an interview may still be required.

Medical examination
Every person who applies for a student permit must undergo a medical examination with one of our designated doctors (unless exempted in the Act). Medical instructions will be issued after the interview. Issuance of medical instructions does not mean that your application has been accepted.

Final decision
Do not make any commitments before receiving a letter from our office advising you that your application has been approved.

Other information
If you wish further information on colleges and universities in Canada or available scholarships, you can contact the following association:
Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada
151 Slater Street
Ottawa, Ontario
K1P 5N1 CANADA
Fax: (613) 563-9745

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Jenna,

Once you go to the embassy in Santo Domingo you'll receive your answer in less then 2 weeks. Read the website about the days that they accept visitors visa applications. I believe it's only Monday and Thursday between 9 and 11am. Something like that. You sound like you've done your homework though, i wish you all the luck. I'm married to a Dominican and pregnant and still can't get him here. So if your plan works let me know and that will be my next step =)
Good luck!

Jenna

Mar 12, 2007
Thanks AnnaC for the info. I really appreciate it!

And as for Dchenriques. Thanks as well. I wish you all the luck and if I find out any info that I feel can be helpfull to you I will let you know.
There are many more questions I have but I will save them for tomorrow.

Jenna

Mar 12, 2007
what paperwork will we need?

Ok. So we have both found shools to go to. One for him here in Canada and one for me in the DR. The school he will be attending only runs for 3 months so he dose not require a student visa ( required for 6 months or more). He requires a visitors visa only. If he was to apply for a student visa he would still have to apply for the visitors visa as well. (from what I understand)

What should he bring with him to Santo Domingo when he goes to apply?

-Acceptance letters (both his and mine)
-Passport (his)
-Birth Cert ~ or just a copy??
-invitation letter. (from me, I could get one from my mom as well would it help???)
-proof of funds for travels and school? His dad will be helping him with this part so will his dad need to provide any info? bank statements...?
-2 passport pictures? or is this only for applying for permanent res?
- proof of employment?
- would any proof of relationship help or hurt? as he is not applying for permanent residents Im not sure if there is a need.
Also he would like me to be with him when he goes to Santo Domingo. I would like to go as well but don't want to make our chances any slimmer than they already are. Any advice on that?

Thanks!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I posted what you HE needs already so I won't repeat it.

BTW I hope he picked a school that is on the government list of approved schools.

He needs to be accepted by the school before he heads out to SD with a completed application with all documentation including the acceptance letter from the school ;)

But that's all in the link I provided in post 15.

Last edited:

chago

Feb 22, 2007
Ok. So we have both found shools to go to. One for him here in Canada and one for me in the DR. The school he will be attending only runs for 3 months so he dose not require a student visa ( required for 6 months or more). He requires a visitors visa only. If he was to apply for a student visa he would still have to apply for the visitors visa as well. (from what I understand)

What should he bring with him to Santo Domingo when he goes to apply?

-Acceptance letters (both his and mine)
-Passport (his)
-Birth Cert ~ or just a copy??
-invitation letter. (from me, I could get one from my mom as well would it help???)
-proof of funds for travels and school? His dad will be helping him with this part so will his dad need to provide any info? bank statements...?
-2 passport pictures? or is this only for applying for permanent res?
- proof of employment?
- would any proof of relationship help or hurt? as he is not applying for permanent residents Im not sure if there is a need.
Also he would like me to be with him when he goes to Santo Domingo. I would like to go as well but don't want to make our chances any slimmer than they already are. Any advice on that?

Thanks!

Again please read what Anna posted..

FYI

The process when youget to SD works like this. You go in monday or thursady from 9-12. You take a number and sit. When your number is called you go in and they check you have all the right document and you leave. I do not think you need to be there. Make sure he has all information about all his family birthdays and where they were born etc. Make sure you have photocopies of eveything...

Here is what you need for a visitor visa

application form (PDF) duly completed and signed;
valid passport;
one recent passport-size photograph for each applicant;
letter from your employer;
bank references;
letter of invitation (if applicable); and
processing fees, which must be paid upon submission of your application.
The following documents should be included to avoid delays (if applicable):
previous passport;
school/university references;
birth or marriage certificate; and
notarized travel authorization for minors travelling without parents.
Other documents may be requested.
It usually takes 10 working days to process a visitor visa.

My advice is to give the as much documentation as you can provide. This is a very tough battle you are fighting so if you thinkit may be relevant make a copy of it and send it. Always keep the originals.. Always.
You might want to make a donation to his bank account to help. You can basically offer your first born as calateral and it makes no difference. Just read and re-read all the requirements and teh best of luck. You can download the forms off the net. Dominican Republic :: Visas and Immigration

Good luck. Oh and you being there makes no difference as it is sent to Haiti where the decision is made. He will return two weeks form the date and he will either have it or not.

Remember to include where he will be staying, how he will eat, pay for transport.. and saying you will help not goingto do anything . He has to prove he can support himself. I hope this helps..