Do Not Use Hotel Phones!

jayt696969

Mar 21, 2007
I recently stayed at the the Excellence Punta Cana resorts, formerly known as Secrets Excellence Punta Cana, and I spent a total of 7 days there. I was told by the hotel staff that the hotel phones cost between 4-6 USD per min for the first five minutes and 3 USD per min thereafter. So I made 1 min phone calls for each day I stayed there for a total of 7 minutes and to my shocking disbelief, I had ran up a bill of about $280! The company that billed me was the notorious BBG Communications of San Diego or San Ysidir. Apparently they charge 10 USD connection fee plus a minimum of 5 minutes, regardless of the length of your call. So at 6 USD per min for 5 minutes and 10 USD connection fee, that is a 40USD call if whether its one second or 5 minutes. There are no signs of rates posted anywhere in the room and hotel staff frequently don't know how much they charge. Even they were shocked to find out how much it cost to phone out of the room. However, hotel owners definitely know that this is a bad deal for consumers and should not allow BBG Communications to rip off their hotel customers or else they will make a bad name for themselves as well. BBG Communications should be boycotted or banned from doing business until they provide fair rates to the end customer.

Dawnr

Nov 15, 2006
I didn't have any problems with the phone charges when I was in Punta Cana in February. I stayed at the Bavaro Princess and made three calls to the United States. I was only charged $14.00 for all three calls. Not sure where you were calling, but this didn't happen to me.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Youre better off using your US cell phone for quick calls, and going to a phone center to make longer calls...or better yet, bring an old cell phone and have it setup as a local phone when you get there and use local phone cards...cost to the states is around 25 cents a minute, no additional connection charges...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I heard of a case just last week where someone staying at a resort tried to make calls, entered his card details but then got "your call could not be completed" and still had hundreds of dollars charged to his credit card. The hotel management told him he would have to take it up with the company in the US, but they should not offer that company's services if these blunders are common.

Feb 7, 2007
I assume you were not using a direct-dial from the room, but instead dialed some access number, either 800, 200, asterisk-something, etc.

These calls are VERY expensive.

Direct dial calls from hotels are much cheaper, calls within DR (which I call 99% when staying in the resorts) go 4-20 pesos per minute (I find the cheapest so far is Catalonia Bavaro, charging 4 pesos per min on some cellulars and landlines) taxes included, US calls are anywhere between 20 and 100 pesos per min (60 cents to 3 dollars) dependning on the resort.
Taking into consideration that the call to the US costs the hotel the same money as a local call, it's a goldmine for them.

I never use the calls using companies that have post-cards in the room, when I dial I dial directly, and I speak to the operator asking for the rate, take the operator's name date and time of conversation in case of any future inconveniences. I have never had a problems with rates billed differently than announced by the hotel operator.

Hotels usually use Verzion (Codetel) and Tricom as their underlying carriers to carry the calls.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
There is a new service being offered here. We are installing wireless internet in the hotels and using special cell phone which are rented to guests.

The cost is $50 US per week and come with up to 3 1/2 hours of long distance talk time. The actual amount of time depends on where you are calling. For example England will have just over 2 hours of talk time.

If you want more info just PM or email me. We also sell wireless connectivity time for laptops by the hour, day or week.

We are installing on the North Coast currently and will be going to Punta Cana soon.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
We is a partnership - Canadian company and Dominican company with staff here, Canada and the US.

Currently we are up and running in our first hotel with pending installations in several more resorts.

For any hotels interested they can contact me directly and for anyone with questions feel free to post them here or contact me.

Karen in NYC

Mar 22, 2007
I know of one Hotel that already has the cell rental service, but it can be done for one day or a week. The rates (dont recall them now) seemed very reasonable. THis same hotel (Sunscape Casa Del Mar) has a small internet cafe with decent connections.

I would be interested in knowing if this is the same hotel. If not, what hotel offers this service, and what hotels are planned for the future?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
No it is not this hotel nor is it a "cell rental service". It is a special VOIP enabled phone that comes pre loaded with long distance time and operates on a closed wireless connection.

We also offer internet cafe services if they do not exist already.

We are currently operating in the Fun Royale Fun Tropicale resort in Playa Dorada.

I am not at liberty to say who is contracted for installation.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
The best way is going to ""Cabinas" and you pay right away. I did that in Cancun , MX because the hotel don't alllow to use the calling cards, but if in Punta Cana hotel allow you to use the calling cards is the best way when you travel either from your room or from one of our old cell phone. I never make long distance from any hotel they too expensive. Thank you

hjocelyn

Feb 21, 2007
www.puntacanalife.com
During my home buying trip in Punta Cana last month, I I was using my roaming services on both my cell phone from Spain and my Cell phone from USA- My T-Mobil charged me an amazing 1.99 per minute.
After a week, I just went to the Palma Real Village Shopping center and purchased a $32 phone which saved me several bucks for the duration ofmy trip.
This is a good alternative for anyone staying short term.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
That is a good option for "local" calls! For long distance calls that will kill your bank account.

Sep 19, 2005
Planner, my GF calls me all the time using her tarjeta bought minutes...she pays about( 9 pesos) 35 cents a minute call my cell while I am in america......not that bad...funny thing is, when she calls a land line in america ...IT COSTS MORE!!!!! go figure....

bob

Feb 7, 2007
Planner, my GF calls me all the time using her tarjeta bought minutes...she pays about( 9 pesos) 35 cents a minute call my cell while I am in america......not that bad...funny thing is, when she calls a land line in america ...IT COSTS MORE!!!!! go figure....

bob

I don't think Verizon charges different rates calling US cellphones than calling US landlines. I know Orange charges the same rate. And also Verizon only states one USA rate, same way as Orange does. The 9.35 rate (I guess with taxes) sounds OK, on a prepaid plan.

You guys that use prepaid, why don't you get Flex? It has no strict requirements, can activate it with your passport, don't need credit history, and you can get a plan from about 400 pesos. You spend that on 40 minutes. And prices with Flex are 30-50% less (depending on the Flex plan you choose) than prepaid.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have a contract plan with Centennial, I pay 4.5 RD to US per minute.

Sharkyitis

Aug 2, 2007
Youre better off using your US cell phone for quick calls, and going to a phone center to make longer calls...or better yet, bring an old cell phone and have it setup as a local phone when you get there and use local phone cards...cost to the states is around 25 cents a minute, no additional connection charges...
How exactly do you "bring an old cell phone and have it set up as a local phone when you get there"?

Feb 7, 2007
You bring any unlcoked GSM cell phone that operates with 1900 Mhz (if you are from Europe, it must be a triband or quadband phone, if you are from North America and Latin America, it already has 1900 Mhz if it is GSM phone). You bring it here take it to Orange dealer and buy a new SIM card activation for 10 dollars (350 pesos). You will need a passport in original to do that. Takes about 10 minutes. After that, you will be given a SIM card chip that has a local phone number, you insert the SIM card into the GSM phone, and you are all set. You receive and place calls from local number.

Sharkyitis

Aug 2, 2007
rubio - I have checked into this and not all cell phones in Canada have GSM. My phone service provider as well as the manufacturer of the phone both say that it is not GSM, but rather operates in CDMA format. Would this still work with the process you described for SIM card activation with an Orange dealer in Punta Cana?