Question

JOKL

Oct 30, 2006
Nahh back in the 70's when I was a kid and used to go to many dominican virgin beaches( in those days there was not Bavaro resolts, no Juan Dolio resolts, very few Puerto Plata resolts, no Samana resolts , no Macao no capcana etc etc )the term used was "Saltimbanqui" a italian word for charlatan, puppeteer, shallow men, a men without good reputation.So by the 80'S with tourists from europe the term degened in "saltinpanky". By 90'S an the 2000'S with many american tourists comming in to the island the term became Sanky-Panky because they confused the term with Hanky Panky.

"Saltimbanqui" is proper to use in italian and spanish to describe a person without caracter, a charlatan.

engels64

Feb 27, 2007
Nahh back in the 70's when I was a kid and used to go to many dominican virgin beaches( in those days there was not Bavaro resolts, no Juan Dolio resolts, very few Puerto Plata resolts, no Samana resolts , no Macao no capcana etc etc )the term used was "Saltimbanqui" a italian word for charlatan, puppeteer, shallow men, a men without good reputation.So by the 80'S with tourists from europe the term degened in "saltinpanky". By 90'S an the 2000'S with many american tourists comming in to the island the term became Sanky-Panky because they confused the term with Hanky Panky.

"Saltimbanqui" is proper to use in italian and spanish to describe a person without caracter, a charlatan.

This makes more sense than any other explanation. Thanks!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Wow after all these years this is the first time I've heard this version and it does make more sense.

I'll have to pin it somewhere for the future when people ask again.

I take it resolts means resorts right?

Thank you ;)