Montreal Merengue Festival / July 21-22 / Vote for bands to appear

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Gracias Jasper-

Thanks for posting the link to the festival this year. Although it's early time flies and the next thing you know summer is knocking on our door. Now that I know the date I will plan accordingly.

I think it's interesting that we can vote for which artist we would like to see at the show this year. There are some good choices on the list but I don't want to get my hopes up. Raulin stood us up last summer and he would have had the all the support in the world in Montreal. I did go to the merengue festival last summer and it was excellent. The closing show by Tito Rojas was amazing! He lived up to his nickname "el gallo salsero". His successful career and great repertoire of songs were instrumental in his live performance IMO. Now if they do bring one of these artists I hope it will be for the closing performance on the Sunday because I would not want to give up my Saturday night rumba, not in mid summer and you know how it is in Montreal, a tremendous nightlife.

I will vote and my choices are narrowed down to:

1/ To?o Rosario - in honor of the festival and because I have seen him live before. In a festival like this the crowd will be dancing.

2/ Raulin R- if he shows up no need to elaborate. He will be well supported.

3/ Frank Reyes- I saw him when he came to Montreal in 2005. The show was not well promoted therefore, I would like to see him get a second chance in Montreal. However, the vibes were good and right. There was something mystic about that performance.

4/ H?ctor Acosta- his repertoire and career as a merengue artist are incomparable. It would be a treat to see him and his band.

Thanks again.

-LDG.

"Que viva Montreal"

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Please,please, please vote for Frank Reyes

Ok, so I am a little pejudiced.
And I agree with LesleyD that the FR concert in Montreal in 2005 was not promoted right. I was there and the attendance was questionable.
I just saw Frank Reyes in concert last weekend in Cabarete and it was awesome! I recorded the whole show and I keep watching it.
So please let's give him another chance in Canada!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I'm coming........

This year I'm finally going to make it down I'm really excited!!!
I did vote a while back I cna't wait to find out who will be coming!! And of course I picked Frank Reyes I have been waiting to see him, I couldn't make it when he was Montreal last time :( I will cross my fingers!!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Snowbird44, Music et al.-

I see you guys are die hard Frank Reyes fans. That's wonderful! I looked at the voting race three days ago and thus far Frank Reyes is in third place. Rubby P?rez has the most votes and Monchy & Alexandra are in second place. The only way you can see the votes is if you vote again. There is also a discussion forum and the comments are interesting. Although we get to vote for artists to appear in the festival I think the availability of the artist will have a strong influence. My preferences are for the more popular or long standing artists but I guess we will have to wait and see. Barring all difficulties I should be able to make it. So far that weekend looks good for me. Rumba time. Here I come!

-LDG.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I also voted for Ruby Perez I like him :) so I'm happy to see he in 1st :)
I will have fun regardless, can't wait finally I'm coming girl LOL

I see you guys are die hard Frank Reyes fans. That's wonderful! I looked at the voting race three days ago and thus far Frank Reyes is in third place. Rubby P?rez has the most votes and Monchy & Alexandra are in second place. The only way you can see the votes is if you vote again. There is also a discussion forum and the comments are interesting. Although we get to vote for artists to appear in the festival I think the availability of the artist will have a strong influence. My preferences are for the more popular or long standing artists but I guess we will have to wait and see. Barring all difficulties I should be able to make it. So far that weekend looks good for me. Rumba time. Here I come!

-LDG.

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Me and a few friends plan to go down for the fetival as well, but we were wondering where the closest hotel to the festivities is??? If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
tk toronto- suggestions-

If you are familiar with Montreal you will note the ease to move from one location to another as compared to Toronto. IMO the best area is the heart of the downtown core which would mean Rue Ste. Catherine, Rue Sherbrooke, Rue St.Denis or Rene Levesque Blvd which are all principal down streets with hotels that are on one of the metro lines. Parc Jean Drapeau is on the yellow line and is also a metro stop. Therefore if you stay in the downtown core you will be on the green line. Just get off at Berri- UQAM and take the yellow line to metro stop Jean Drapeau and follow thie signs to the festival.

Hope this helps.

-LDG.

Montreal Metro Map-

Map of Montreal's metro system

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
If you are familiar with Montreal you will note the ease to move from one location to another as compared to Toronto. IMO the best area is the heart of the downtown core which would mean Rue Ste. Catherine, Rue Sherbrooke, Rue St.Denis or Rene Levesque Blvd which are all principal down streets with hotels that are on one of the metro lines. Parc Jean Drapeau is on the yellow line and is also a metro stop. Therefore if you stay in the downtown core you will be on the green line. Just get off at Berri- UQAM and take the yellow line to metro stop Jean Drapeau and follow thie signs to the festival.

Hope this helps.

-LDG.

Montreal Metro Map-

Map of Montreal's metro system

Thanks for the info, I'll check this out!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Hotel suggestions and radio show-

Just thought I would add some reasonably priced hotel suggestions in the downtown core. You can look these up on google:

1/ Holiday Inn Express on Rene Levesque Blvd
2/ Days Inn on Rene Levesque Blvd
3/ Travelodge on Rene Levesque Blvd
4/ Econolodge on Rue St. Dominique
5/ Holiday Inn on Rue Sherbrooke
6/ Quality Inn Rue Cresent (a very lively area)

Radio Show

As well, you can listen to a weekly Latin radio show on Saturdays hosted by Univerisit? de Montr?al called La rumba du samedi on 89.3FM which is accessible via internet if you are not in the Montreal area. CISM 89,3 FM - la marge - La r?f?rence alternative ? Montr?al - [ Bienvenue chez CISM - Lamarge ] Go to "radio en direct" and click on play. The radio show is in French and Spanish from 1PM -5PM and the music is superb! The commentators keep you informed regarding all upcoming Latin events, shows, concerts etc. in Montreal.

-LDG.

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
I know I asked earlier, but I need specifics. Where is the merengue festival held exactly? Like an intersection or something where I could figure out where to book a hotel so that we're in walking distance or VERY close proximity to the festival. Any answers greatly appreciated. PM if you want.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Tk toronto-

I am not sure if you have ever been to Montreal however, I copied this excerpt from a Montreal tourism website. The festival will be held at Parc Jean-Drapeau which is part of the two islands mentioned below. It's a wonderful outdoor recreational area but not for lodging. You have to stay downtown and take the metro as I mentioned previously. It is so easy to get to the park (islands) from downtown. My suggestion is not to even bother driving. Montreal traffic can get very heavy and frustrating especially on a beautiful summer day.

Send me a PM if you want some more specific details. Glad to help.

-LDG.

"Located in the middle of the St. Lawrence River, parc Jean-Drapeau consists of the Sainte-H?l?ne and Notre-Dame islands, which hosted Expo '67. A real mosaic of water and green space with diverse attractions and events, parc Jean-Drapeau is accessible by m?tro (subway), car, bicycle or boat. It is a popular playground for Montrealers who come to enjoy its beach, trails, or simply relax. The almost rural atmosphere of the park, a stone?s throw away from the downtown hustle and bustle, is a great place for picnics".

TOURISME MONTR?AL - ATTRACTIONS - IN DETAIL

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Thanks, Lesley! This is great!!!

I am not sure if you have ever been to Montreal however, I copied this excerpt from a Montreal tourism website. The festival will be held at Parc Jean-Drapeau which is part of the two islands mentioned below. It's a wonderful outdoor recreational area but not for lodging. You have to stay downtown and take the metro as I mentioned previously. It is so easy to get to the park (islands) from downtown. My suggestion is not to even bother driving. Montreal traffic can get very heavy and frustrating especially on a beautiful summer day.

Send me a PM if you want some more specific details. Glad to help.

-LDG.

"Located in the middle of the St. Lawrence River, parc Jean-Drapeau consists of the Sainte-H?l?ne and Notre-Dame islands, which hosted Expo '67. A real mosaic of water and green space with diverse attractions and events, parc Jean-Drapeau is accessible by m?tro (subway), car, bicycle or boat. It is a popular playground for Montrealers who come to enjoy its beach, trails, or simply relax. The almost rural atmosphere of the park, a stone?s throw away from the downtown hustle and bustle, is a great place for picnics".

TOURISME MONTR?AL - ATTRACTIONS - IN DETAIL