Does anyone know the answer to a baby's birth certificate

crazy moon

Oct 2, 2005
I have a daughter who lives in the Dominican Republic and is a citizen of the D.R. she just gave birth to a baby girl. I am filling out the proper paper work for my granddaughter for Canadian Immigration that is needed. The baby has already gotten an original birthcertificate but the only parents name on the birthcertificate is my daughters who is the mother of the baby. We did not put the fathers name on because the father does not have one himself or any other kind of documents stating who he is.The baby must now go get a passport and have a medical done in the next 2 weeks. But my QUESTION is will Haiti immigration want the father's name on the baby's birthcertificate before letting the baby come to Canada. By the way the baby isn't coming for a coulpe of years anyways but because my husband is in the process of getting his visa we need to have his daughter and her daughters medicals done also even if they are not coming for a couple of years. Or is it very common which I am sure it is to only have one parents name on the childs birthcertificate eg>Mothers only this must be very common. And do you think Haiti will make my husband wait even longer or not even give him his visa if this information is not given just another problem for us to deal with when it comes to immigration u know they want every thing perfect.I don't know

Last edited by a moderator:

coho

On Vacation!
Mar 4, 2007
There must be a ten unknown algebriac formula..that would solve your question. Please math freaks out there please formulate........

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Crazy moon our post is extremely hard to figure out.

You need to explain a few things. "My daughter" is she your daughter by marriage (step daughter) or your daughter by birth. One would make her a Dominican and the other a Canadian.

Maybe you'll get more answers once you clear this up. ;)

BTW medicals are only good for a year so don't spend money on that if they are not coming for a couple of years.

Many have had to get a second medical because it expired while waiting and that brings months of more waiting

Sep 19, 2005
Crazy moon our post is extremely hard to figure out.

You need to explain a few things. "My daughter" is she your daughter by marriage (step daughter) or your daughter by birth. One would make her a Dominican and the other a Canadian.

Maybe you'll get more answers once you clear this up. ;)

BTW medicals are only good for a year so don't spend money on that if they are not coming for a couple of years.

Many have had to get a second medical because it expired while waiting and that brings months of more waiting

but anna if the form they are filing out NOW, require medical tests, the test would have to be done now...right?....

then when it came time for them to depart, if they needed a medical tests for that..then they would have to get it again.

but if the daughter is canadian , the granddaughter is candian as well...correct?....would they have to get test for them to leave the DR?

but I would guess the "daughter" is probably a STEP daughter, like you suggested...otherwise this woman and her dominican husband have been in the DR a long time..or they had a fliong a LONG time ago...and only now are trying to get a visa....

what bothers me the most is that so many people come on the forum here...ask a question... and then never reply again...especially all those who ask advice for a trip, and then dont post up a trip report, as to how the advice worked out...

bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yes Bob so many questions but we can't go any further till she clears up some of these points.

I see "my daughter" then I see "my husband's daughter and her daughters" so are these two different people or the same person?

We will wait for her to tell us. ;)

Also if she is filling the application now it only takes (if done correctly) about 9 to 10 months to get a visa for Canada (if approved). Some will have the medical soon after they get married then spend months filling out the form and gathering all the info before mailing it therefore by the time Haiti calls the medical has expired.

By the info we have I would suggest people have a medical as soon as the application is filled and ready to be mailed and not sooner.

Last edited:

crazy moon

Oct 2, 2005
ok ok

I am canadian my husband is dominican and my husbands daughter is also dominican. My husbands daughter just had a baby. The baby just got a birthcertificate but the birthcertificate only has my step daughters name on it not the fathers.Because the father has no documents stating who he is.Is this going to be a problem for the Haiti immigration office since they want everything perfect.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
no documents at all?

the father doesn't have any documents? didn't he at least go to school? how old is the baby's mother? I only ask because maybe there are different rules for minor children and adult children

why should she be included in the papers? my mother married someone, and he brought her to US and then a year later my mother brought my brother and I to the US. They didn't do it all at the same time. I think you should just bring your husband over first, and see if it works out.

wendy_s

Oct 26, 2005

Anna - you're right, the OP's post is very hard to understand...I don't know who's who but I think I kinda understand a part of it. I think she's trying to sponsor her husband to Canada and wants to include her husband's daughter and his daughter's baby on the application forms as non-accompanying family members. Crazymoon, maybe we could have made sense of your post much easier if you initially stated that this is your step-daughter and your step-granddaughter you are talking about...:ermm:

In the Immigrant's section of the application form, it states that:

"All your family members, whether accompanying you or not, must be declared on your application and be examined. If family members ar not examined, it is generally not possible to sponsor them at a later date...

In addition, failure to declare family members on your application and have them examined goes against your duty to provide truthful and accurate information, and may cause you to be found inadmissable to Canada."

However, that being said, Crazymoon, you should review your application forms again because in your case, you may not even need to go through all this trouble right now. The application forms you are using to sponsor your husband is 'Family Class: Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent children living outside Canada". For dependent children, there are 3 criterias listed in the forms in order to qualify under the 'dependent children' category (see below). Does your husband's daughter fall under any of these to be considered a dependent child?

- is under the age of 22 and does not have a spouse or common-law partner;
- is a full-time student and is substantially dependent on a parent for financial support since before the age of 22, or since becoming a spouse or common-law partner (if this happened before age 22); or
- is financially dependent on a parent since before the age of 22 because of a disability.

If your husband's daughter does qualify as a dependent child, then yes, she needs to be included as a non-accompanying family member, her photos and birth certificate has to be included in the application and she does need to get the medical exam.

If your daughter does not fall under any of these categories, she is not qualified as a dependent child and I don't think she needs to be included in your husband's application. However, you do need to include her in the 'Additional Family Information' form (IMM 5406E) under Section B. As for the the baby, she does not qualify as a dependent child of your husband's since it is not HIS daughter so does not need to be included in his application either. If so, I don't think you need to include birth certificates with the application nor get their medical exams at this point. When you and your husband are ready to sponsor them in the future, you can then submit a new application to sponsor them under a completely new and separate undertaking. To sponsor any other family member other than a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent children, you can use this link: CIC Canada | Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class

In regards to whether or not the baby's father has to be named in the birth certificate, I don't know the answer to that. But like I said, since the baby isn't your husband's daughter, I don't think you need to worry about this right now.

When my husband and I were filling out our application forms, we included his 2 kids as non-accompanying family members. In our case, there was no question whether or not they qualified as dependent children since they are 3 and 5 year olds so it wasn't complicated. I would suggest getting in touch with CIC Canada to get accurate info for your situation - maybe you can save yourself some time and money for the time being and just worry about getting your husband to Canada first.

Best of luck!