Architecture Ratings: Torre Alco Paradisso

What do you think of the Alco Paradisso Tower in Santo Domingo?

• Impressive

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Beautiful

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Ugly

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Eye sore

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What do you think of the Alco Paradisso Tower in Santo Domingo?

A) Impressive
B) Beautiful
C) Ugly
D) Eye sore

edificiosok060bk0.jpg

edificiosok061iz7.jpg

-NALs

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
That is one ugly building! I hate those cheap white framed windows and it looks like the architect tried to mix the old with the new, ugly!

Aug 19, 2004
This isn't architecture it is Lego - and apologies to Lego.

It looks cheap and nasty even before they have finished it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, I like the tower.

Then again, I like anything that looks better than the brutist Huacal building! In fact, all buildings built in brutist style I despise with a passion, with the sole exemption of the Banco Central tower in SDQ, which for some reason appeals to me.

The Alco Paradisso is part of a trend in SDQ (and much of the world) on the post-modern architecture which places emphasis on returning to older architectural styles while not becoming too detailed. Thus, postmodern architecture tends to look "fake", in part because it is fake! But, it looks better than the towers built in the 1970s in SDQ, now that's what we call ugly!

-NALs ;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Well, I like the tower.

Then again, I like anything that looks better than the brutist Huacal building! In fact, all buildings built in brutist style I despise with a passion, with the sole exemption of the Banco Central tower in SDQ, which for some reason appeals to me.

The Alco Paradisso is part of a trend in SDQ (and much of the world) on the post-modern architecture which places emphasis on returning to older architectural styles while not becoming too detailed. Thus, postmodern architecture tends to look "fake", in part because it is fake! But, it looks better than the towers built in the 1970s in SDQ, now that's what we call ugly!

-NALs ;)
Seems like most of the new highrise offices and condos in FL are of that style.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Seems like most of the new highrise offices and condos in FL are of that style.

Exactly! I don't dislike it at all. It is very difficult do build pretty little hight rise towers. I like this one quite a bit actually... except for the recline windows which break the uniformity of the glass panel face. I think that particular style has a les "concreety" look than much of what has been build based on the 70's technology and is by far less ridiculous than some high rise buildings with an leaning on a mix of "colonial" and "Latino rococo" elements.

But then, you can not argue taste... J-D.