How offensive is the word sankie ???

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
Just wondering...to a normal Dominican man ??? All my understanding of this word has been gained from DR1 only....

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Like a lot of words, depends on the context and how you say it. I say it from time to time in a joking way when the context is right for it and it gets a laugh.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
me and a sankie named Rafael from Sosua Bay joke about it all the time when i am in town.he thinks it's a game and he loves to play it on canadian whales. :laugh:

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
Huh ????

me and a sankie named Rafael from Sosua Bay joke about it all the time when i am in town.he thinks it's a game and he loves to play it on canadian whales. :laugh:

A serious anwer would be appreciated.

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
If you are calling someone a sankie...

Like a lot of words, depends on the context and how you say it. I say it from time to time in a joking way when the context is right for it and it gets a laugh.

And are serious....is that really offensive ?

Just trying to understand the impact of th word to regular Dominican men.

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
I did call this one guy in at the hotel sosua bay Sankie and lets just say he wasnt happy, OHH well, he was like dont u ever call me that again!!! Most of them think we dont know what it means or to whom it applies but we do!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Phd

Some are proud to be called that and would gladly show you the notches on their gun. :laugh:

Others would be disappointed or angry because they realize that you know the 'charlatanismo' and that their cover blew.

As said situation and context are important.

BTW, why would YOU want to know all that?
Or are you also doing a thesis on the subject? ;)

m'frog

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
And are serious....is that really offensive ?

Just trying to understand the impact of th word to regular Dominican men.

when I've asked the question they laugh, its probably a compliment, it means they are getting lots and lots of sex with many different women and many times it is with pretty women if not with women that shower them with gifts.
The sankie probably would act offended if he was trying to get it on with you and you let him know that you know the game already.

Being a sankie is The ultimate dream of most men. what can be offensive about that!!!?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You wouldn't call just any Dominican man a sankie unless there's a good reason.

A Dominican man that isn't would laugh and the ones that get very upset are ;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hang on

Being a sankie is The ultimate dream of most men. what can be offensive about that!!!?

There's a lot of men that will object to that. Let's keep in mind what a sankie is and not get it confused with being a womanizer. ;)

There's a big difference. :laugh:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
There's a lot of men that will object to that. Let's keep in mind what a sankie is and not get it confused with being a womanizer. ;)

There's a big difference. :laugh:

oh come on Anna, I can almost bet many men on this forum are secretly envying sankies!!! ;)
ok maybe not too many on this forum because they wished that the tourists be Dominicanas instead but ... where else can you get All the sex you want and in turn get paid, when most of the time men pay the women!!! ???? ;)

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006

agreed depends on the context, most will laugh.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006

You keep writing about these whales but truth be told I think most sankie victims are beautiful young women / men. I've seen sankies in action about 4 times. Three out of the four times the men might as well have been monkies and the women were fit, young and beautiful. The other time the guy was just as ugly but he was talking to a fit young and handsome man. Never seen any "Canadian Whales" ... I just don't understand it !!!!!!

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I think it would be the opposite. If you called a Dominicano who ISN'T a sankie--they would be offended because you are calling him a puto/con man.

Calling a sankie a sankie would elicit probably a negative response but they are what they are. How are they suppose to respond??

Nobody wants to be called a puto---whether you are one or you aren't.

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
This makes sense to me...

If someome calls me something that I am not, truth be told, I will be extremely offended (depending on what it is)...

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
It seems that if you do call someone a puta/puto they seem to be more offended with the fact you said it outloud - not that you said it.