alleged campaign to discredit the DR: is it real

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I don't personally think so. My experience is that the truth tends to hurt a bit more in the Dominican Republic than in other places in the Western Hemisphere. To wit, Leonel's education minister had a kitten when the outgoing USAID chief expressed reservations about the state of public education in the country.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think there is a campaign to discredit the DR.

Of course, I can go into detail explaining this and that, but I'll simply quote what a reviewer of "Coloring the Nation: Race and Ethnicity in the Dominican Republic" by David Howard had to say.

The reviewer is Michael R. Hall and below are a few passages from his review, which you can read in its entirety by clicking on the link at the end of this post.

Howard implies that Dominican resentment against Haiti is exaggerated. Although mentioning the Haitian occupation, he does not elaborate on the violence and brutality that accompanied it. Rather, the author insists that the occupation was really not so terrible and that the "populations were brought closer together" by the military occupation (p. 28). Incomplete citing precludes the reader from examining possible evidence supporting this contention.

If Dominicans are so anti-black and racist, as Howard argues, how does one account for Pena Gomez's election as mayor of Santo Domingo during the 1980s? Howard, nevertheless, argues that blackness in the Dominican Republic "loses elections" (p. 153).

Factual errors weaken the study. For example, the author's definition of jabao is erroneous (p. 3). Howard implies that jabao can be used interchangeably with the term mulatto, when in fact jabao applies only to a small sector of the population that is light-skinned but has African features. The author's contention that the Roman Catholic Church "continues to reinforce gender inequality" in the Dominican Republic is asserted without any substantiating documentation (p. 90).

Coloring the Nation is also marred by poor citation. Of the scant seventy footnotes, most are literary passages in Spanish. Throughout the text, vague references to books without page number references complicate the reader's ability to look for evidence supporting Howard's assertions. Authors' names are dropped into the text without their full name or credentials. This oversight is compounded by the fact that most of Howard's bibliographic entries only provide an abbreviated name.

Howard raises two important concerns is his study: racism and the level of anti-Haitian sentiment in the Dominican Republic. Unfortunately, by attributing anti-Haitian sentiment primarily to racism, the author oversimplifies a complex issue. Although racism exists in the Dominican Republic, it is not the driving force of national identity or anti-Haitian sentiment. Class, language, religion, and national origin continue to be important identifying factors in Dominican society that differentiate Dominicans from Haitians.

Despite the factual errors, inconsistencies, poor citation, etc; David Howard's book is considered to be something almost on the level of the bible to many anti-dominicans. His book is one of a bunch which are quoted repeatedly by people wanting to "prove" what is essentially a half-truth, that Haitians are discriminated against for being dark and all dark peoples in the DR are discriminated against as well.

Never mind the large numbers of blacks who have moved up the socio-economic latter, never mind the fact that Lil?s Hereaux once ruled the country despite being as dark as the night sky, never mind the presence of a sizable albeit small Haitian middle class within the DR, and never mind any evidence that points to the contrary of those who are hell bent on disproving the DR.

They have already made up their minds and they don't want to be confused with the facts.

Coloring the Nation

-NALs

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This was posted Tuesday, March 27, 2007; apparently serious money is being devoted to accuse the DR of slavery despite the fact that the vast majority of workers are monetarily compensated for their work and of not granting citizenship to stateless children who are suppose to be given citizenship by the country of their parents origin.

Of course, they don't look into how low wages are in the jobs native Dominicans work in and they are not bothered by the fact that hundreds of thousands of full fledge Dominican children themselves don't have citizenship and/or are not even registered, thus according to all official data such kids don't exist!

But, nobody cares about Dominicans. These people only care about Haitians, apparently only Haitians living in the DR.

DR1 News said:
US$30 million international campaign

International organizations reportedly are preparing to launch a US$30 million international campaign accusing the Dominican Republic of enslaving Haitians that work here and of denying Dominican nationality to Haitians that are born here, as reported in El Dia.

The month-long program is scheduled to kick off in France in May sponsored by Amnesty International, the office of Paris mayor Bertrand Delanoe and the artistic group Collectif 2004 Images.

El Dia explains that key figures behind the campaign are Catholic priests, Christopher Hartley, who is related to Spanish nobility and is close to the monarchs of Spain, and Pedro Ruquoy. Hartley was asked to leave the country when his superior Bishop Francisco Osoria expelled him from the diocese on occasion of uncovering Hartley's participation in criminal happenings, as reported in El Dia. Ruquoy left the country shortly after it was discovered that he irregularly served as the father to declare several children of illegal Haitian parents so these could get their Dominican birth certificates. Another key figure mentioned as part of the campaign is the Haitian activist in the DR, Sonia Pierre. Ambassador Radhames Batista, president of the National Border council recently stated that her real name is Solain Pie and that she received an irregular birth certificate as Sonia Pierre because her mother was the undocumented illegal resident Maria Pie. She was declared by Ramon Juan whose cedula No. 20888-23 was forged.

Recently, the Central Electoral Board ruled for the implementation of the Libro de Extranjeria that documents when a foreigner is born here. El Dia reports that the new registration document has been well received by the US Consulate, not so by international organizations that demand that all those born in the DR be granted Dominican citizenship. In December 2005, the Supreme Court of Justice ruled that those born to parents without permanent residence or citizenship would not be Dominicans at birth.

Given the difficulties in stemming migration at the border, the DR every year receives thousands of new Haitian migrants. Over the years, the Dominican governments have done little to reduce the migration. As the problems in Haiti have increased, more and more Haitians cross the border. While Haitians were initially hired to work in sugar plantations, sugar harvests are being mechanized and today more Haitians are attracted by the many jobs available in construction and as gardeners, housekeepers and street sales. The Ministry of Superior Education reports that there are approximately 6,000 Haitians studying in Dominican universities, and public hospitals are heavily burdened by thousands of Haitian mothers that cross the border to give birth and receive free medical services.

I guess the anti-dominicans have all conspire against the country and are now launching an attack.

From Haitians wanting to be Dominican to foreigners who have not business meddling in the business of a letigimate independent country!

-NALs

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Despite all of that, I'll bet there are still many people who insist there is no such thing as an anti-Dominican conspiracy.

-NALs

C

Chip00

It appears that the OP's original post has been deleted. If that is the case may we get a summary in order to get a better idea of the initial post?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Despite all of that, I'll bet there are still many people who insist there is no such thing as an anti-Dominican conspiracy.

-NALs

Yeah of course, Nals, every night, The people in power in the US, France and Canada are all planning on how to reunite Hispaniola under Haitian rule !!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yeah of course, Nals, every night, The people in power in the US, France and Canada are all planning on how to reunite Hispaniola under Haitian rule !!!
Who worries about the people in power?

It's the people who can influence those in power that are the real danger in all of this.

The people in power only do whatever is presented to them, notice how the mayor of Paris agrees with Amnesty, I wonder if he has ever been to the DR to specifically investigate the situation first hand.

One thing is for sure, he agrees with them word for word, just like that little group who protest every month against the Dominican consulate in NY.

-NALs

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
NALs' response strikes me as being somewhat disproportionate to the issue

I think it might have been Shakespeare who wrote the famous "dost protest too much, me thinks" line in Hamlet. This outburst made me think of it.

If someone accused me of being a woman, for example, I don't think I would get emotionally involved in debunking the point. Why? Because it would be off the wall, completely without merit, and devoid of any apparent validity - even if I were to wear women's clothing.

My favorite part of NALs' overkill was when he invoked the legacy of Lilis :)

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Nals, you seem to be a very well educated New-England Dominican, your posts are sometimes interesting to read. That is why I am so amazed you can believe that "conspiracy-theory" about the superpowers trying to anihilate Dominicans for the profit of the Haitians. It is just plain ridiculous ! I am well aware that it is a paranoia quite heavily implented in the ruling-class' mind in Santo Domingo, but you are supposed to know better, up ther in Conneticut...