Fernandez: Left, Center, or Right?

Jackson

Sep 12, 2004
The answer may vary depending on who I ask, but for someone like me, who knows nothing about him - which is he?

May 12, 2005
From what I can gather, compared to US politicians and parties, he would be center-left. Similar to many mainstream Democrats.

C

Chip00

Neither! - he's in his very own dimension with all the rest of the politicians here called .... the Twilight Zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
left, centrist, right .. whatever, he is where the money is. ;)

That is true of most elected politicians who plan to run for reelection. But re the question, I agree with Frank the Tank that he is Center Left.,

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
WITHIN the DR political spectrum, I would say he?s right.
Leonel is the one for privatization (the electrical companies? saga), free trade (pulling in investors from around the world), small government (aka ?come solos?, as compared to the far more populist PRD) and, of course, (typical trait of the right wing in any country) always serving the elites rather than the masses. After absorbing many members of the PRSC (the most traditionalist/conservative Balaguerista party), Leonel?s PLD became the official right wing party of the DR.

When compared to US politicians, that?s a different story?

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
I agree with bilijou. I have a Finance degree and everything he is doing can be pulled straight out of a Finance text. Also, he is an IMF - World Bank dream. He borrow money that for project that would benefit business and foreign interest the most.

Don't get me wrong I agree with him on most issues but he is to the right

naiz

Sep 15, 2003
Only Balaguer has inclined more to the right than him. But in the latinamerican spectrum, it appears that he's right on the center.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Whatever he may be, he HAS made a few inroads in the "Corruption-mindedness" mileau of theDominican Political scenarios.
It may be that he has "bitten off more than he can chew" by continuuing the unabatted borrowing, however. If ever the influx of investors diminishes, he will be in trouble economically. He does seem to have the "golden touch" where that is concerned, however. All he really has to do is keep his party in line and pass the "correct legislation" to continue his success...unlike the babooning of Hipolito.

Texas Bill