energy freindly cooling of a house

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Just found something on the net that might be interesting for those who are going to build a house. It?s a cooling system that should make a room +/- 8?C cooler than normal. It has been developed by a Dutch cooperation named ?12 ambachten?. It works as follows a metal chimney is painted black and around it a (plexi-)glass shell is placed that is sealed hermetically. The sun heats the air in the chimney and this rising colon of air pulls out air from the room. Which is replaced by air that comes from 15 m long 200 mm tubes put at a depth of more than 60 cm and ending in a inspection pit. According to what I?ve read you?ll need 1 such tube for every 20m?.

Greetings

Johan

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Just found something on the net that might be interesting for those who are going to build a house. It?s a cooling system that should make a room +/- 8?C cooler than normal. It has been developed by a Dutch cooperation named ?12 ambachten?. It works as follows a metal chimney is painted black and around it a (plexi-)glass shell is placed that is sealed hermetically. The sun heats the air in the chimney and this rising colon of air pulls out air from the room. Which is replaced by air that comes from 15 m long 200 mm tubes put at a depth of more than 60 cm and ending in a inspection pit. According to what I?ve read you?ll need 1 such tube for every 20m?.

Greetings

Johan

So the tube just generates the suction/airflow, thus eliminating the need of fans or ventilators... just like the climate works. Fine. Still, condensation in the underground cool pipes remains to be solved...

Can you post a link to where you found this information?

Thanks! ... J-D.

C

Chip00

Greetings

Johan

Sounds interesting. However, if the soils at that depth are clayey or otherwise dense you may not be able to pull cooler air out of the ground or it will be such a slow rate as to not make a difference. It would be interesting to see if the Engineer's design accounted for the difference in soil densities. As far as the drop in temperature that will really depend on the flowrate and temperature of the underground air to be tapped into not to mention the R-value of the existing structure.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
There is lots of info (mostly technical and research type stuff) on the internet for passive downdraught evaporative cooling. This method is used in traditional Morocan and middle-eastern architecture, where the structure is designed and built to create the cooling effect.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Basically the picture explains it all .. The 'sun-chimney' is painted black and has and inner 'tube' or sleeve or pipe. Hot air rises and the sun chimney gives it an avenue to escape ... as the hot air rises, it causes a replacement with cold air, drawn from the pipe that is underground. All obviously with very specific specifications which I could translate if someone needs it.

A comment - in Europe, the ground temperature is obviously cooler than our ground temperature. So, I'm not sure how successful it would be in our hotter climate.

Some time ago I looked at the 'dome' structures in the middle east. They seem to be built with this replacement of hot air by cold air happening automatically as a result of the shape of the structure.

The last little bit of the website is interesting where they talk about 'green roofs'. This is where vegetation is planted on the roof and the layer of soil and vegetation keeps a house cool. I've seen this work successfully and I believe this one will keep houses cooler in our hot climate. Anyone for gardening on the roof?

Sep 19, 2005
I am wondering ...do they run the pipe that supplys the cool air, down into the ground then up and out into the atmopsphere?...and just COOL the air as it passes through underground?

or do they somehow get air out of the ground????:paranoid: :paranoid: ha ha ha

I cant see how they get air out of the ground....

I have see where systems use the same physics , but use piped water...they cool in the summer and heat in the winter....

I know little things help a lot...the metal roof in my GFs house heats her room badly...they have cielings in severral of the other rooms and that cuts the heat by half...but they havent done her room yet...

I was thinking of installing an eves fan and just let it pull air from the house...but then it would eat up the house batteries in times they dont have power.

It would be a lot of work because the wall is concrete.

bob

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
A comment - in Europe, the ground temperature is obviously cooler than our ground temperature. So, I'm not sure how successful it would be in our hotter climate.

This is easily checked The only thing you have to do is to dig a hole and put a termmether in the ground do see what the temperature is. You'll find that it will be much less than the room temperature. If my memory serves me well the temperature at .5 m = +/-the average year temperature. and it is this delta-t that is interresting

Greetings

Johan

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As I understand it--no engineer, just married to one---the big intake tubes run from a large, lined inspection box (like a cistern without the water) into the house. Air comes from outside, drawn down into the inspection tank, into the tubes and up into the house.

Let me say that our living room is by far one of the coolest places you will find in the DR--without A/C obviously--and anyone that has been here can attest to that..

The secret? Simple: 12 foot ceilings and an open space along the top....not too many people notice it. For extra cooling, ceiling fans (KDKs)..

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The Texas White House is heated and cooled with groundwater from 300' beneath the surface using a pump. The cost is 25% of what gas or electric cooling/heating would be.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I'm gald to give you the link but i doubt it will be usefull because it is in dutch

Milieu Advies Winkel | Bouwen en wonen > Duurzaam bouwen > Bouwtips > Ventilatie > Groene airco

greetings

johan

Actually, Dutch is quite easy to read, when you understand both, German and English... So, Thanks!

A picture also tells more than a thousand words (especially when you don't understand the language their in):

zonneschoorsteen.gif

But then, your explanations where clear enough so that this drawing did not turn out to be a surprise. Thanks.

... J-D

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Vertruvius Effect

this is as old as early civilization with a new name. with pipes going thru well -and changing the temperature of a home with high widows to let the hot air out. Remember the cupola on colonial homes.This is taught in second year architecture class even in junior colleges. also ussing hay bales between the cilling and the roof, and walls for insulation. Wall filled with soil to slow down heat penetration and night release of heat on the outide of walls, all these keep a home around 70 degree day and night. Also look up conpact soil construction, labor intensive, great where lavor is cheap.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
this is as old as early civilization with a new name. with pipes going thru well -and changing the temperature of a home with high widows to let the hot air out. Remember the cupola on colonial homes.This is taught in second year architecture class even in junior colleges. also ussing hay bales between the cilling and the roof, and walls for insulation. Wall filled with soil to slow down heat penetration and night release of heat on the outide of walls, all these keep a home around 70 degree day and night. Also look up conpact soil construction, labor intensive, great where lavor is cheap.

To my knowledge there is no such thing as a Vertruvius [sic?] Effect. But then I don't know it all.
You may however have confused it with the architectural teachings of Marcus Vitruvius Pollio, a (BC) Roman empire architect and engineer and Giovanni Battista Venturi an Italian 18th Century physicist who is quoted for discovering the Ventury effect.
Although pipes and tubes are involved, the suction effect created by differences in temperatures in those pipes is not the one described in the teachings of the Ventury effect.

The above application uses the expansion and thus movement of heated air as a means of creating the suction to pull fresher air from the pipes bellow. It is the application of a physical phenomenon to create an airflow using sun energy (thus replacing the need for a motorized fan or ventilator) coupled with the concept of cooling a home with cooler air from under ground (the later only indeed being thaught and applied in Roman architecture).

... J-D.

Last edited: