1st timer here: How to get around Santo Domingo without getting ripped off?

SunAndBuns

Mar 18, 2007
I am primarily interested in the clubs such as the Girl's house, the Lapsus, The Garden House, Tabu etc, but I would like to know Is there some kind of map that shows all of the Chica take-out clubs in the Santo Domingo area, so I could be on my own? Maybe a taxi service that is very reliable and effecient that I can call that wont rip me off for commissions? I am probably going to stay in the Hostel Riazor, a hotel that is supposed to be guest friendly, and is right on Independence Ave where all of the chicas are at. Has anybody been to this hotel before btw?
My plan is to party in the city at night, and go to Boca Chica in the day time for swimming fun. And is the city dangerous at night to walk through? I am a 220lb boxer, but I know that this is nothing when it comes to 5+ guys w/guns and knives.
Thank you in advance.
Dexter

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
my advice: get all the info you can off this site and use common sense. all of us have been taken one time or another as a newbie so don't worry about it, just have fun...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Why not just rent a taxi/driver for the evening or a couple of days. It would be incredibly cheap. Heck, you might even find a driver with functioning English. Taxi drivers in the DR are like anywhere else: they know what's up and where.

My buddy and I did that many years ago in Santo Domingo, like 1987, and it wroked very, very well.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Good advise and...

Why not just rent a taxi/driver for the evening or a couple of days. It would be incredibly cheap. Heck, you might even find a driver with functioning English. Taxi drivers in the DR are like anywhere else: they know what's up and where.

My buddy and I did that many years ago in Santo Domingo, like 1987, and it wroked very, very well.

I have used the SAME driver for the past two years. Prior to that I had another guy also for two years. Driver will wait for you outside wherever you go which elimenhates the walking in street buisness--and by using the same guy -befriend him so that when HE sees trouble he will advise you. If you're a little drunk and he thinks you're with the wrong people or the wrong part of town you get a driver and caretaker for the same price

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
The above post/reply is right on track! - Do yourself a favor and get a local taxidriver that you can hire for the day/evening who will take care of you. You can't imagine what a good deal this is how cheap it is. You will have a great time in Santo Domingo. Just remember one thing. Use common sense! - Those who leave SD after parting and such and claim to have a "Bad Time/Experience" is usually because they did not use common sense. Have a good, safe, fun time. I will be back there myself for the 5th time in 12 month soon. BTW - Be sure to post a Trip Report on how things went when you come back.

nixonbd

Sep 16, 2006
Dexter, I'm also staying at the Riazor. Will be there the first week in May. But I digress....the Riazor is a block or two at most from both Girl House and Lapsus, so you shouldn't need a cab for thos places, except late at night.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The DR might be a little dangerous

Dexter, I'm also staying at the Riazor. Will be there the first week in May. But I digress....the Riazor is a block or two at most from both Girl House and Lapsus, so you shouldn't need a cab for thos places, except late at night.
BUT a cab ride for one block? Maybe you would be better off getting the $4.95 early bird special at 6PM, a newspaper, and be in bed by 9.
Hey, you never kn ow.

Sep 19, 2005
if you go out at night just take expendable cash. Any trouble..let them have it all....they wont kill you unless you try to resist and fight...

if you are bringing girls back to your hotel, even better to leave the extra cash locked up there.

the girls will ask triple from you what they would from a wise domincan man. You can negotiate until you are way past what you think is a fantstic deal...

and as long as you think that...its all that matters.

One driver being your guide is only as good as the guy is trustworthy... and you will have absolutely no clue wether he is or not.

unless you get a recomendation.. the driver could be taking you to a hosing for sure..and setting you up with HIS connections...maybe good maybe bad...

I have never had take out in Santo Domingo...so cant respond to the value.

I have had take it..and it was way more than I should have paid....even when the peso was 17 to 1, it was still the same price as when the peso was 30 to 1.....

bob

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
and remember an intoxicated 220-lb boxer is no match for a would-be robber.

have fun and above all be safe !!

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Dexter, Johne is absolutely right. You want a taxi driver that is watching out for you. Also, most taxi drivers carry guns and that is going to be a big deterrent for ladrones trying to accost or mug you in the street.

Feel free to send me a private message and I'll give you the phone number and name of an English-speaking Dominican taxi driver that knows all the "hangouts" that you mentioned and will watch your backside. Trust me - You'll feel much more comfortable, knowing that there is something with you, who can not only translate, but back you up with "heat". And the cost is quite reasonable for peace of mind.

Marazul

Apr 19, 2007
Hmmmm .... right..... my friend from UK was a few months here in dominican and the first thing i told her was never go out with ur passport and most of the people is going to try to charge u more for everything cuz u are from other country ... also be aware who is next to u and keep ur wallet/purse with caution .... For uu.... is not good to walk late night nop nop nop! u might even have to be aware in the day too .... And as a person said above the thief wont do anything if u dont do anything neither :)

And about the slap dancing girls! lol ..... is also other place named Doll House i have heard from my friends girls are hotter there, but i guess it depends of what u find hotter ..... Also u might find some whores late night (ugly ones by the way, but some tourist like them "iak") ... oh right... by the way prostitution is illegal so be awere :)

Peace

Marazul

Apr 19, 2007
Oh right... i forgot.... be aware of taking taxi cabs in the street... they arent so reliable ... I guess in the hotel can help u with the transportation... is also a taxi company named Apollo taxi (i usually use them) for most of the places they dont charge more than 150 pesos (if u want u can also ask to the taxi central before of about the price)... also the taxi driver may help u hanging out.... If u are lucky he might know english :)..

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
without a passport??

Why would anyone travel at night WITHOUT a passport? Oh, I see, someone might steal it and you would be without ID and the passport.
The ONLY time I had something personal (not including my store) stolen was out of my hotel room while I was out for the evening.

So, tell me, what do use for ID when you get stopped at night by the police? Or you are in an accident? Or they ask you for ID to change money?

Rethink your advise.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Jeeeeez, I don't get it. A 220lb self-proclaimed boxer AFRAID of getting ripped off in a third world country consisting of 99% GREAT PEOPLE. Dare I mention he's from a major U.S. city too? Puhleeeeze people. Stop with the horror stories and fear. SD is fine, the DR is fine........quit trying to scare the guy.

Yo my Brooklyn Bro, I'm fitty years old, as white as Wonder Bread, although I work out hard everyday....I'm taller than you and I out weigh you....you'll find you will have visual respect.

I don't get overcharged for nothing...just ask before you buy, check your receipts and treat everyone like you're visiting thier house. Be nice. I eat out at restaurants, drink for hours in bars, shop.... usually with a DR cutie with me....I've NEVER gotten a bill that was out of line for the fun I've had.

When you walk/stagger anywhere, know your surroundings, maintain situational awareness and try to have someone with you. (Loners make good targets anywhere in the world) I use a local driver occasionally, and when he's not driving me, I always invite him....he's a good pal.

As far as the clubs go....dude, it's just like home, when you go looking for trouble you'll find it....hit a couple clubs, meet a few "friendlies" and choose them on your gut feeling (jus like the good ol' USA)...FYI-the ladies of the DR are far superior to any in the USA.

I make copies of my passport, driver's license and gun permit (all from the USA)...all photo IDs. When I hit the DR, I staple that paper to a business card for the hotel I'm staying at. I've never been questioned terribly so. Yes I've been stopped by the police...no problems (If something does happen to me-my paperwork will make a good toe-tag)

Carry enough cash to buy what/who you want, pay in pesos, don't be flashy. Wear a money belt, not the ball-sack belts, a 1.5" regular money belt. I always carry mucho dead Presidents in mine. (US$,$$$)

When you leave your room, lock stuff in the safe, hide money in three places in the room so if you get hit, they won't find all of it.

Also, a super-sized Presidente in hand makes great self defense....intact, the bottle is heavy and when landed properly upon an attacker will disuede any further attack.......when shattered, the Presidente has proven to be a grand "cuchio" (knife, gringo)....this has worked for me in Panama, Honduras, Guatamala, Serbia, and Canada...

If you're really nervous, PM me, I'll come down and be your bodyguard, I'm always up for an adventure.....it's how I earn a living

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
If my memory serves me right he SHOULD be in whatever city he decided to go to if he decided to go at all.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I concur and is exactly my point 2 lefties......it's sad some folks have to paint such a bleak picture sometimes....