Rain Forrests

airbornediver

Jan 23, 2007
Are there any places in DR that are Rain Forrest like El Junque in Puerto Rico? I went to Comatillo last month but it was still dry and not lush. I'm debating to fly into POP or STI. I'm not sure where to visit next. Thanks for your help

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Rain forest, rain city, rain country..................

...........been nothing but "rain" and "lush" for the past couple weeks in the "northern part" of the DR.......

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
In the Caribbean, Puerto Rico has the only official rain forest. At least that is what they told us when we visited the one in Puerto Rico.

This is a hilarious statement...I think what they really told you is that El Yunque is the only tropical rain forest in the U.S. forest system.

The DR not only has "tropical rain forests" but several different types of rain forests to boot.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In the Caribbean, Puerto Rico has the only official rain forest. At least that is what they told us when we visited the one in Puerto Rico.
If they told you that the Coqui frog exist only in Puerto Rico, well you are in for a surprise.

Coqui frogs also exist in the DR and a few other places in the Caribbean.

They were introduced from Puerto Rico, BUT the popular notion that the frog only exist in Puerto Rico and nowhere else is false.

-NALs

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Manabao.

About 10 miles west and maybe 2000feet higher from the town of Jarabacoa, you'll come to a tiny hamlet named Manabao. My family and I visited for a couple of days there and was taken aback by the natural beauty of this place which is as remote as you can get from anywhere in DR.
Many rivers, including the Yaque del norte, has its beginning from even higher in the mountains near there.
We visited three other rivers within walking distance of town. Everywhere we went we saw lush vegetation, trees and flowers we had never seen before, and saw/heard the sounds of birds and other creatures.
Nighttime temperatures felt like the middle 40's so I don't know if this large area qualifies as rain forest.
To the OP, If you really want to see rich flora, go there in the summer. guaranteed you'll love it.

airbornediver

Jan 23, 2007
About 10 miles west and maybe 2000feet higher from the town of Jarabacoa, you'll come to a tiny hamlet named Manabao. My family and I visited for a couple of days there and was taken aback by the natural beauty of this place which is as remote as you can get from anywhere in DR.
Many rivers, including the Yaque del norte, has its beginning from even higher in the mountains near there.
We visited three other rivers within walking distance of town. Everywhere we went we saw lush vegetation, trees and flowers we had never seen before, and saw/heard the sounds of birds and other creatures.
Nighttime temperatures felt like the middle 40's so I don't know if this large area qualifies as rain forest.
To the OP, If you really want to see rich flora, go there in the summer. guaranteed you'll love it.

Don Juan thats for posting useful information that I can use. I;m heading to POP for 6 days. Will it be possible to visit this area from POP in a day? Does anyone offer tours to that area? Thanks again.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
You're welcomed!

Don Juan thats for posting useful information that I can use. I;m heading to POP for 6 days. Will it be possible to visit this area from POP in a day? Does anyone offer tours to that area? Thanks again.

'Caribe tours' has bus service to Jarabacoa, don't know if from POP. The town of Jarabacoa itself is worth checking out. Two large rivers meet nearby to form one. Also there's a beautiful waterfall within walking distance of that site.

In order to get to Manabao, you'll need to ask at the bus depot for rides there; usually 4-wheel drive vehicles, since you'd be going up-hill for about 45minutes. The ride itself is quite an adventure, ($5US). It's a very panoramic and sometimes scary since it narrows to one lane in certain places due to erosion caused by rain.

In order to absorb the beauty of these two places, you'll need more than a day. I suggest getting to Jarabacoa early in the morning then heading to Manabao. If you can get there around noon, you'll have enough time to see much. (there's a cheap, small restaurant at one end of town).

There's also a flea-bag hotel in town that charges 2-3 dollars for the night. Being so high up in the mountains and no electricity, if not cloudy, this place will be able to treat you to a dazzling show of the night sky. believe me, you have never seen so many stars! you can even make out the milky way's bands! Bring binoculars!

On the way back to Jarabacoa the following morning, go see the "confluencia" and the aforementioned waterfalls. Catch you bus back to pop in late afternoon in time for dinner and a few beers. Enjoy!