on importing cars to DR. product price: US$20.000, total taxes and fees: US$14.063!!!

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Ten years ago before the age restriction was placed upon imported cars we wanted to import an older 84' Caddilac Coupe de Ville in barely used condition we had bought from a friends aged aunt. We only paid $800 for it and figured that even with $1,000 shipping we'd have a great old car for transporting our hotel guests, albeit a gas guzzler, in the DR. So before we made the arrangements to ship it we contacted the DR Embassy in Miami to get an idea of how much duty we would have to pay.

I almost fell out of my chair when I was quoted over $11,000usd!!! I asked why so much on a car that was 13 years old and only cost $800? I was told that it was a Caddilac. Period. No matter how old, cost, etc. Crazy? Logical? Hey this is the DR. They do what they want.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
That makes sense.
If you remove the initial registration, which is not part of the price of the car, were you to be buying it from a dealer, the cost of the vehicle would be US price plus 48%.
On previous threads, we have been guesstimating it at plus 40% to 50%, so those figures appear accurate.

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
I would suggest to wait until CAFTA takes hold in 5 years all duties are supposed to be taken down. Right now you may as well forget it and just buy something here.
: p.

Jan 9, 2004
Grain of Salt

While I thank Liam1 for publishing the link, I would asdvise others not to rely too heavily on some of information contained in it.

The most glaring mistake is that Kia is a Japanese manufacturer, when in fact
it is South Korean and now under the Hyundai (also S. Korean) umbrella.

The Summary, Market overview and Trends, and the Market access paragraphs must have been written by a true bureaucrat with very little actual or hands on experience in the D.R. The various categories and the dates the duty are due to disappear look to be accurate and were probably taken directly from the agreement itself.

As with anything published on the internet, please due your own due diligence and take the information with the proverbial "grain of salt."

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

That's the best break down I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
While I thank Liam1 for publishing the link, I would asdvise others not to rely too heavily on some of information contained in it.

The most glaring mistake is that Kia is a Japanese manufacturer, when in fact
it is South Korean and now under the Hyundai (also S. Korean) umbrella.

The Summary, Market overview and Trends, and the Market access paragraphs must have been written by a true bureaucrat with very little actual or hands on experience in the D.R. The various categories and the dates the duty are due to disappear look to be accurate and were probably taken directly from the agreement itself.

As with anything published on the internet, please due your own due diligence and take the information with the proverbial "grain of salt."

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
You are correct, of course.
One must not believe everything one reads on the WWW.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
ok, here is a quick question, here in Toronto you can buy a decent Chrysler Intrepid 2002/2003 for 6000-7000 CND, if i was to import that car to DR would i have to pay 20% import tax/16% ITBIS... on the price i paid for the car, or would they appraise the car to be worth some crazy amount of money and then tax me on that? thanks.

(i'm talking about a car like this one)
00intrepid.jpg

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ok, here is a quick question, here in Toronto you can buy a decent Chrysler Intrepid 2002/2003 for 6000-7000 CND, if i was to import that car to DR would i have to pay 20% import tax/16% ITBIS... on the price i paid for the car, or would they appraise the car to be worth some crazy amount of money and then tax me on that? thanks.

To be sure, you would have to contact customs, but I expect you would pay as much in import taxes as you payed to buy the car.

Jan 9, 2004
Think parts availability first

Liam1:

With a car of that age, no matter what brand, you should consider the cost and availability of replacement parts in the D.R.

As has been written ad nauseum on the board, try and stay with Honda, Toyota, or Mitsubishi SUV's. Parts are widely available, reasonable in cost AND the vehicles are familiar to even most "street mechanics."

That having been said, most newer Chrysler products I have seen in the D.R. are either Dodge Diesel pickups, the new Chrysler 300 series, and once in a great while a PT cruiser, Dodge Stratus or Caravan and those were mostly in the capital where I presume parts might be available.

Ford has a small footprint too, but larger than Chrysler or GM. I have seen Ford dealerships (Viamar sp) in Santo Domingo and Higuey and presume there may also be one in the Santiago area. I believe the bulk of Ford sales would be the SUV line consisting of Explorer/Expedition/Escape or their trucks.

As DR-CAFTA is implemented more attention may be paid to the signatory countries by Ford/Gm/Chrysler, but GM and Ford are experiencing financial woes and Daimler is trying to unload Chrysler, so it may be some time before they try and make an effort to aggressively expand into this market.

Thus parts availability, cost and to some extent service are key components to consider when purchasing any automobile in the D.R.

Finally as to taxes and duties to enter the D.R., I too use the 50% rule as a guide. That is, add 50% of the book value plus shipping as a general guide. The Aduana site mentioned by suarezn is helpful and at least you will have a ballpark figure (if you can find your vehicle listed). Note, there are always other fees that crop up, even now with the supposed kinder/faster/more efficient customs process.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

00intrepid.jpg

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I noticed on the aduanas brichure, ciclomotores (scooters) are on the no tariff list. Would that include or exclude actual motorcycles, and not just scooters and pasolas?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Ha ha, I can see cobraboy now... " Hi, I want to pay the taxes on my 1340 cc passola"
1800cc, 750lbs.

I found out the bitter truth: 20% duty, 16% sales tax, and 17% registration tax. 57%. That's if purchased here. I don't think you'd have to pay the 16% sales tax if you bring it in, plus shipping and hassle.

Damn!

AmberCoast

Jun 18, 2007
Auto Importation

Auto importation is something no "gringo" should try him or herself. Use a customs broker to bring the car through to get the lowest price. One company you may check with is Banker Trust (809) 571-4622. If you are a resident, they can get you a considerable reduction on the tariff. It may take up to 10 days after the car arrives at the port, but it is worth the savings.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Combination of Taxes

1800cc, 750lbs.

I found out the bitter truth: 20% duty, 16% sales tax, and 17% registration tax. 57%. That's if purchased here. I don't think you'd have to pay the 16% sales tax if you bring it in, plus shipping and hassle.

Damn!

Is 57% correct or is it 87% additional?

$10,000 at US port
1,500 shipping
$11,500 at DR port
$13,800 With 20% duty
$16,009 With 16% sales tax
$18,729 With 17% registration

Are not the duties and taxes multiples of each other? I'm certain at best the 17% registration is applied after all other charges.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
A friend of mine just imported a new Kia Sportage. It ended up costing him close to US$6,000 more than if he purchased the same vehicle locally.
When you add up shipping, flights to Miami, taxes etc etc, it's just not worth it.

Plus, he has no warranty.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
A friend of mine just imported a new Kia Sportage. It ended up costing him close to US$6,000 more than if he purchased the same vehicle locally.
When you add up shipping, flights to Miami, taxes etc etc, it's just not worth it.

Plus, he has no warranty.
This has been my contention for a long time.
Unless you are part of a recognized wealthy respected Dominican family in the import biz, it ain't worth doing.
They have different "rules" than for joe blow importing himself.