Driving from Santiago to Cabarete

ReD_HeAd

Mar 12, 2007
Sorry posted somewhere else

My parents live in between Santiago & La Vega off of Autopista Duarte

How do I get from there to Cabarete

Thank you

Sep 19, 2005
I like the layout of the map. But think it isnt correct , or at the least is misleading , because route 21 doesnt not go to Sosua...and one would think that if they stay on the main road they will get to sosua...but that isnt the case...maybe there is another road that shoots off to sosua from Jamao Norte.....but it isnt as big as route 21....

to the OP...take 21 all the way to Route 5(the road doesnt continue north anymore at that point) then turn left and you are on your way to Cabarete...

bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Direcciones/Directions

From Cabarete you go east until you come to the big intersection. Turn right.
Follow that road until it ends (Moca). Turn left.
When you come to a TEXACO STATION, be careful, there will be lots of traffic coming from your right. Blend into the traffic going into Moca proper.

When you get to the first light, turn right. You will go through the center of Moca--a real traffic mess, but fairly short--and come out on the avenue that goes to the Duarte Highway. There you turn right again. You are almost there!
When you get to the highway, be very, very careful. Turn left (east) and get to your parent's place.

Good Luck.

HB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you want to go to Santiago you can make a right at the Texaco station. But for La Vega Hillbilly's way is best.

Sep 19, 2005
Direcciones/Directions

From Cabarete you go east until you come to the big intersection. Turn right.
Follow that road until it ends (Moca). Turn left.
When you come to a TEXACO STATION, be careful, there will be lots of traffic coming from your right. Blend into the traffic going into Moca proper.

When you get to the first light, turn right. You will go through the center of Moca--a real traffic mess, but fairly short--and come out on the avenue that goes to the Duarte Highway. There you turn right again. You are almost there!
When you get to the highway, be very, very careful. Turn left (east) and get to your parent's place.

Good Luck.

HB

I was under the impression the directions were needed FROM the parents house...TO Cabarete.

bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry posted somewhere else

My parents live in between Santiago & La Vega off of Autopista Duarte

How do I get from there to Cabarete

Thank you

My bad. So let's go backwards. It is a bit different.

You go towards Santiago (west). When you get to the messy cross roads that goes to Moca--be very careful there--you go right! Follow that road all the way until you come to the end, in front of the Palace of Justice, I think. Anyway it is a major intersection and you have to go left or right. YOU go LEFT!.

Follow that street untilyou come to the Fortaleza--big green thing on your left front. I think there is a light there now. You again turn left.

Now, you go downhill to a light and go straight. Uphill and then level out and you come to a fork in the road where you go to the right--You will see the TEXACO station I mentioned before on your right.--

Go straight on that road - be careful there are some speed bumps there-- until you come to an intersection with a road coming from the right. There are signs pointing --> JAMAO, and you take the right. Follow that road up and over the mountains and when it ends you turn left (west) and get to Cabarete.

Sorry, I read the post backwards---it happens with hillbillies and lefties...

HB

Last edited:

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I like the layout of the map. But think it isnt correct , or at the least is misleading , because route 21 doesnt not go to Sosua...and one would think that if they stay on the main road they will get to sosua...but that isnt the case...maybe there is another road that shoots off to sosua from Jamao Norte.....but it isnt as big as route 21....

to the OP...take 21 all the way to Route 5(the road doesnt continue north anymore at that point) then turn left and you are on your way to Cabarete...

bob

Hey Bob...does that mean that route 21 goes to Sosua?:classic:

Sep 19, 2005
well I am NOT going to take it...and THEN Ill find out.. ha ha ha ha

You have to believe me...I never paid attention in typing class....its TRUE

years ago i had a boss who gave me my all time best quote.

"we CONSTANTLY dont do things this way"

and I worked for him a long time.....and it shows ha ha ha

bob

Sep 19, 2005
here is a picture of the rock slide that closed off route 21 not far from San Victor. This apparently happened after we had this thread going last week..and the road was closed for a few days. This is what is still left on the side that it came down from..the stuff on the road , was pushed off to the right and down the mountain.

4gogq3m.jpg

here is a picture from the top of the mountain. It is a spot a few people have asked where it is...well this trip i checked...this shot is taken 2.2 miles past the green military station, while heading to Cabarete from Moca

334lrtx.jpg

here is a picture of the river..it hadnt raine din a few days and the water was a nice greenish blue....I took this on my way to Cabarete on firday april 6th. On the way back on saturday afternoon, it was a muddy mess from the nights rain.

2hfrtq1.jpg

bob

Last edited:

ReD_HeAd

Mar 12, 2007
Thanks everyone for the great information .. hopefully the road will be better by August .. :)

Sep 19, 2005
I got to tell you...I have taken that road a dozen or more times already..and it is as good as it ever has been...that area where the mountain fell on the road, isnt a problem, except for a possible future "finnish" slide coming down onto the road....

the rest of the route is just like it always has been....

the other routes to the north coast have more fequent slides, for sure....you can see some on going repairs, plus several spots where they did older repairs......lots of work in some of those spots to get those roads back to being passable...

bob