Albatros Club Resort in Juan Dolio

mesa

Dec 12, 2006
Hello, looking for specific ino about this property. I hear no beach access how for away would I have to walk to get access? Would I have to pay for access or beach chairs, is there food and drinks close to that beach access? If it is at the end of the strip, what hotels are next to it so I can look it up on the map? We are a family with many small children. Also, we are used to all inclusive resorts, that offer healthclub and spas services. Perhaps we should change properties? Anyone been inside to see how clean it is? Are there things to do in the town? Taking local bus is hard since we have several children to haul around. I have been reading that Juan Dolio has a lot of construction, is this going on around the Albatros property? Once we are on the beach can we walk for miles? Lastly, getting from SDQ airport to hotel, we can't take bus due to children and baggage, however I have read taxi quotes for $60 USD? That is crazy, so expensive. Any suggestions? Do we have to take specific taxi due to crime? My wife has read DR is not very safe and is very concerned about not stay in at in all inclusive resort and that ANYONE could have access to the property, any advise. In advance I really appreciate your honest comments, for you are our eye and ears and can tell us what to expect. Mucho gracias.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
There is now beach access from Albatross. Construction is next door and all along Villas Del Mar strip. Closest hotel would be the Sun Village that is currently being renovated so is not open.
Also Guavaberry beach club is close by where you can sit and have something to eat or drink and use the facilities (pool and beach).
Haven?t been inside but have talked to people who have and said it was well maintained - more of an apartment type complex for people staying longer times.
Expect to pay RD$1500 pesos from the airport (change a bit of money at a change bank in the airport) however you may be able to bargain and reduce the price by a hundred pesos or so. Any of the airport taxis are safe as they are "sindicated".

Also if you must have a spa there is one just down the boulevard in Villas Del Mar.

Perhaps Matilda will see this post and fill you in a bit more as she is more familiar with Albatross than I however I hope this helps allay your concerns.

Enjoy!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
BTW...you can walk for miles and the kids will have fun hunting for sea shells so pack a few plastic shovels for them!

Hopefully this post will 'make it'

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Guavaberry

There is now beach access from Albatross. Construction is next door and all along Villas Del Mar strip. Closest hotel would be the Sun Village that is currently being renovated so is not open.
Also Guavaberry beach club is close by where you can sit and have something to eat or drink and use the facilities (pool and beach).
Haven?t been inside but have talked to people who have and said it was well maintained - more of an apartment type complex for people staying longer times.
Expect to pay RD$1500 pesos from the airport (change a bit of money at a change bank in the airport) however you may be able to bargain and reduce the price by a hundred pesos or so. Any of the airport taxis are safe as they are "sindicated".

Also if you must have a spa there is one just down the boulevard in Villas Del Mar.

Perhaps Matilda will see this post and fill you in a bit more as she is more familiar with Albatross than I however I hope this helps allay your concerns.

Enjoy!!

Mommc
Is this beach club a part of GB Golf?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Hello, looking for specific ino about this property. I hear no beach access how for away would I have to walk to get access? Would I have to pay for access or beach chairs, is there food and drinks close to that beach access? If it is at the end of the strip, what hotels are next to it so I can look it up on the map? We are a family with many small children. Also, we are used to all inclusive resorts, that offer healthclub and spas services. Perhaps we should change properties? Anyone been inside to see how clean it is? Are there things to do in the town? Taking local bus is hard since we have several children to haul around. I have been reading that Juan Dolio has a lot of construction, is this going on around the Albatros property? Once we are on the beach can we walk for miles? Lastly, getting from SDQ airport to hotel, we can't take bus due to children and baggage, however I have read taxi quotes for $60 USD? That is crazy, so expensive. Any suggestions? Do we have to take specific taxi due to crime? My wife has read DR is not very safe and is very concerned about not stay in at in all inclusive resort and that ANYONE could have access to the property, any advise. In advance I really appreciate your honest comments, for you are our eye and ears and can tell us what to expect. Mucho gracias.

Albatros is on the beach and also has a pool. However you have no access to the sea as it is too rocky to enter. 5 mins away as MommC said is Guavaberry beach club which is lovely and has pool and jacuzzi too. However they often have a minimum charge. It used tobe 15 US$ per person with only access for socios of the Golf Club on Sat and Sun. i am not sure what the minimum charge is now or if they still enforce it. There is a bar and restaurnat at Albatross but most people cook themselves or go out. There is a good pizzeria and Italian resturant next door. There is not that much to do in Juan Dolio - diving and horseriding, but there are many tours available to little islands, the capital, jeep safaris etc. On the whole Albatros is Ok - not fantastic, but OK. pm me if you need any more info

matilda

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Take a walk down the beach a short way and you can enter the water!
After all beaches ARE public once you have access to them!

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
my suggestion is , that if you can pay for an all inc. go for it. in this time of the year most resorts offers 2 free child.
albatros is located in a very isolated area, far fom everything. all the building next to albatros are in construction, lot of dust, dirty streets, noisy. and nothing to do for your and your kids around.
in my opinion, you better go to the old juan dolio area. where you will find some resorts (4 or 5), fine restaurants, clubs, etc. nicer beach area and very safe.
the 2 best resorts in the area: Capella and coral costa caribe
have fun