Wify and I are planning early retirement in DR & have lots of questions.

LOCAITO BLANCITO

Apr 2, 2007
Hello all.

Just as the title says. Here is some back ground. We are in our early 30's and are comming from the burbs of NY with a newborn baby. We have been to DR twice rented a motorcycle and drove to Sousa from Puerto Plata and explored.

#1 Are we crazy?
#2 Where is the largest english speaking area? ( to make things a bit easier)
#3 Provided we are not flashy is there great risk of being mugged/or personal safty.
#4 What is there to do at night (for english speaking people)
#5 How much is cell phone service there per month for local calls?
#6 what areas are considered high class?
#7 Anyone do the same thing we did?
#8 how hard and expensive to get american groceries?

thanks in advance we wish we could be more detailed but dont know where to begin.

loco..

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Wow!!

Hello all.

Just as the title says. Here is some back ground. We are in our early 30's and are comming from the burbs of NY with a newborn baby. We have been to DR twice rented a motorcycle and drove to Sousa from Puerto Plata and explored.

#1 Are we crazy?
#2 Where is the largest english speaking area? ( to make things a bit easier)
#3 Provided we are not flashy is there great risk of being mugged/or personal safty.
#4 What is there to do at night (for english speaking people)
#5 How much is cell phone service there per month for local calls?
#6 what areas are considered high class?
#7 Anyone do the same thing we did?
#8 how hard and expensive to get american groceries?

thanks in advance we wish we could be more detailed but dont know where to begin.

loco..

May I advise, while you wait for responses, to use the search feature of this forum with keywords as "safety", "cell phone", "living & moving", etc.. So to answer at least a few of your questions.

Good luck

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Early retirement in your early 30's? So you are not, I take it, looking to work here?

7. Yes heaps of people have come here to retire early, although probably not all that many in your age group. We came in our late 40's 14 years ago but we didn't intend retiring.

2. Expat 'communities' are in major tourist areas: Sosua, Cabarete, Punta Cana but if you're asking about Dominicans who speak English you will find many do in Santiago and Santo Domingo also.

8. Why would you need American groceries? Generally the local stuff is much less expensive.

1. Although I'm an ex-mental health professional I'll not rush to judgement on this question. :)

Do I get a sense of you wanting the creature comforts/security of 'home' in a Dominican setting? In which case the DR might be a bit of a culture shock. There are other countries with e.g. better infrastructure where the jump may not be so noticeable.

Does 'wify' mind being called wify.................? :ermm:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
There are myriad reasons that you and 'wify' must consider before 'retiring' there. Y'all won't know for sure if it's a move you want to make, unless enough time is spent experiencing the DR, first hand.
So I'll tell you what the old-timers on this board will say: Come, look, then decide.
Since, apparently, money is no obstacle for you, a six-month stay, should answer all your questions.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You may want to consider renting a condo at Ocean Dreams in Caberete for 6 months. It's thje closest to US life you will find here. Meets most of you requirements.

LOCAITO BLANCITO

Apr 2, 2007
You may want to consider renting a condo at Ocean Dreams in Caberete for 6 months. It's thje closest to US life you will find here. Meets most of you requirements.

Thanks for the quick replys. Just wanted to get back to some comments.

Since we are retiring young we have to budget more than "the old timers" lol $45,000 us per year. (thats our goal)

also I did a search prior to this thread and found cell carries but their websites are in spanish only (thus the question)

as for these condos in caberete (prob the nicest ones I have seen so far) I can't see spending $3500 us per month to rent in dr. maybe its just me.

also Wify loves to be called wify (its my name for her) can someone translate that for me

thanks all
loco

ps I have been in the fourm community for a while and have noticed that no one here post pics with their threads. Any reason why?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
With the Codetel cellphone plan I have, I average less than 50 bucks/month.
I don't spend a lot of time on the phone, but I certainly use it a few times a day.

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
Let's see....you want "high class" areas, english-speaking surroundings at night, american groceries, and apparently haven't learned much spanish.

Why is it again, that you're even considering this move?

LOCAITO BLANCITO

Apr 2, 2007
Let's see....you want "high class" areas, english-speaking surroundings at night, american groceries, and apparently haven't learned much spanish.

early retirement!!!! no tra va ho.

loco

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

It's not that unusual to desire the above mentioned things.
The weather alone, makes it worth moving here, and then there's the beaches, the slow pace of life, etc.
One might not find everything one is looking for, but there's no harm wishing for it.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You buy a cell phone here. Then you buy phone cartds as you need them. Unlike the US. the min. you use are only the calls you make. incoming call are free. You are not charged min. for them. For calls back to the US, use Skype.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks for the quick replys. Just wanted to get back to some comments.
Which comments did you want to get back to?? :ermm:

Since we are retiring young we have to budget more than "the old timers" lol $45,000 us per year. (thats our goal)
This 'Old Timer' (house paid for, cars paid for & reasonably well settled) spends about US $1,500 per month living in the cheaper area of Puerto Plata. US $45,000 in SO-SU-A, with young wife & even younger baby might be a touch tight for your required lifestyle!!

also I did a search prior to this thread and found cell carries but their websites are in spanish only (thus the question)
Did you do a search on THIS forum?? Go to 'SEARCH' function & type in the keywords for what you wish to elicit information on/for.

as for these condos in caberete (prob the nicest ones I have seen so far) I can't see spending $3500 us per month to rent in dr. maybe its just me.
US $3,500 PER MONTH FOR CONDOS?????????
You must be stark staring BONKERS (or misread) to be even thinking in those realms!~! Condos in the Puerto Plata Area go from US $500 per month & 3 B/R houses from US $800 p.m.

ps I have been in the fourm community for a while and have noticed that no one here post pics with their threads. Any reason why?
Time & effort involved is MY excuse. I tend to answer questions people ask as this forum is about THEM, not me. I only get pictures posted when they totally support or clarify what I am posting - otherwise well chosen words will do for me - but then, ....... I am old fashioned & care about my spelling & phraseology! ~ Grahame.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
also Wify loves to be called wify (its my name for her) can someone translate that for me

Just keep calling her wify, if that is what she likes. Sounds better than esposy or something like that, which is not a word anybody likely to understand here. Probably think you are trying to say esposa, wife in Spanish.

Personally, I think it is a dumb, demeaning name for a wife to be called. I'm surprised to hear she likes it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just keep calling her wify, if that is what she likes. Sounds better than esposy or something like that, which is not a word anybody likely to understand here. Probably think you are trying to say esposa, wife in Spanish.

Personally, I think it is a dumb, demeaning name for a wife to be called. I'm surprised to hear she likes it.
I would guess that it's likely there's irony involved. But I agree that without the nuance of verbal communication such irony is often lost.

e.g. I sometimes - lamely - call my son "fat boy" but if I referred to him this way in a post people would think I was a terribly cruel person. However, if you know my son is rather skinny, it throws a different light on things.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"SOMETHING" Telss Me That You &"Wiffy" Will NOT Be A Match For The DR!

Call me "CRAZY", but I get a "sense" from your posts that you will find it hard to "Blend-In" with the "ExPat" community here that I an familiar with!
I feel that you have an elitist attitude. A feeling that you know more than "WE" do. A "Generation Gap" with the "Old Timers" that have been here for years. Looking for a "Lifestyle" that does not exist here.
I suggest that you and "Wiffy" would be more of a "FIT" in a "seaside" community in Florida,or maybe the Bahamas if you want the "Offshore" experience.
Sounds like you are just "Blowing Smoke" up our collective A$$ES anyway!
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
If you people don't have any worth while advice why the hell say anything?not one of you know anything about them.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If you people don't have any worth while advice why the hell say anything?not one of you know anything about them.

But one can suppose by the type of questions being asked--can' t they?
Look at their posts and they are like a spinning top without direction.
BTW--how do you say "spinning top" or" rudderless ship" in Spanish?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
But one can suppose by the type of questions being asked--can' t they?
Look at their posts and they are like a spinning top without direction.
BTW--how do you say "spinning top" or" rudderless ship" in Spanish?

"Trompo loco" and "Vendaval sin rumbo". respectively

Estos no saben de donde vienen, a donde est?n, ni para donde van!