Punta Cana Airport to San Pedro de Macorix

poochie77

Jun 21, 2005
What is the cheapest way to get there with a suitcase? Do I have to take a taxi? They are so expensive!!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
In accordance with this thread:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-directions/60445-need-clear-info-bus-punta-cana-sd.html

and this map:

Mapa Rutas Rep?blica Dominicana Santo Domingo

I think you can receive all your answers. Travel on public transportation with just a suitcase should pose no problem as Dominicans are known to do it everyday with such things as 25 gallon propane tanks full or empty, sacks of potatoes, 5 or 6 live chickens tied together and other such accompaniment. It is the cheapest way to travel within the DR and if you are a bit adventurous you should have no problems. Of course it helps if you speak some Spanish but isn't essential. Enjoy your stay and if you should be so inclined a trip report in our "Trip Report" forum when you get back home would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Feb 7, 2007
DO NOT TAKE the Expreso Bavaro-Santo Domingo from PUJ. They do not pass via SPM.

Instead, take Expreso Bavaro-Higuey to Higuey, to Sichoprola (in front of Basilica). Take ANY bus (I recommend Expreso) from there, as all go via SPM. Get off in SPM and take local taxi or motoconcho.

Expreso Bavaro-Higuey leaves from the same terminal (right-side) as Expreso Bavaro-Santo Domingo (left side). They leave (I think) on an hour. Cost is 100 pesos (I think... - used to be 90, but went up, did not travel yet after the increase).

You do not need to purchase advanced ticket for Expreso Bavaro-Higuey. You can also use caliente bus (this really IS caliente - "hot") if you miss expreso and do not want to wait for another one.

In Higuey, you DO NEED to purchase advanced ticket for Expreso Higuey-Santo Domingo. You do not need to purchase ticket for caliente bus -- these caliente buses are nowadays rarely "caliente-hot" and most services now have AC.