Did People Really Believe That?

Sep 19, 2005
its that CHEAP ammo that the pertetrators have resorted to buying, which makes aiming , hitting and killing the victim much more of a task.

just ask LADYBIRD

bob

Sep 19, 2005
homicides are down...I offered that maybe the reason is the bad guys are using poor "cheap " ammo...and thery arent shooting straight..

and ladybird offered her antidote about the funeral operator selling "cheap" ammo as a sideline business...

get the connection now?

lets move on..ok

as a master tounge in cheek poster...i am suprised you cant get these, not so subtle sublimal messages

bob

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
as a master tounge in cheek poster...i am suprised you cant get these, not so subtle sublimal messages bob

He probably could if they were subliminal but the question then is, would you be able to send them............?

Back to the difference between the Procuraduria stats. & the El Nuevo Diario article. The Procuraduria stats. indicate that the number of violent deaths for Jan & Feb 2006 is exactly the same as the number of violent deaths for Jan & Feb 2007 viz for the 2 months combined a total of 341 violent deaths each year or a rate of 22.48 per 100,000 inhabitants.

What they then do (eat your hearts out students of criminology :) ) is to deduct the number of violent deaths at the hands of police in the carrying out of their duties. In Jan & Feb 2006 it was 35. In Jan & Feb 2007 it has gone up to 50. So by deducting this higher number of police homicides, it looks as if the total homicide rate has reduced. Next year if the baseline number of violent deaths remains the same and the police take out 100 in the course of their duties we will doubtless hear plaudits for a dramatically reduced violent death rate....................

Even if you allow the deduction of police killings in the line of work (& in the DR that might be statistically suspect) you still end up with a homicide rate of 20.18 per 100,000 population in 2006 and 19.19 in 2007. That is supposed to equal 33% reduction? :laugh:

And please don't lay this at the door of El Nuevo Diario because they were clearly reporting what they were told by the Attorney General. The same one who was out of the country when Fiscal Ceballos was killed in Sosua (but that wouldn't have featured in these stats because it was last November & the stats only compare the months of Jan & Feb each year).

Interestingly the report on President's website doesn't give figures & the Minister of the Interior, while feeling the situation is improving, is nowhere near so ........er.........exhuberant as the AG.
Presidencia Rep?blica Dominicana

Then there's always the question: are the Procuraduria stats. believeable? See for example
Entidad presenta estad?sticas indican baja de muertes violentas

Last edited:

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Cheap but fatal nevertheless

... bad guys are using poor "cheap " ammo...and thery arent shooting straight...
....get the connection now?...
Well, there are many connections...
The cheapest ammunition is sold by the PN and the AF.
And it's not all that bad, as their number of killings show.

I just wasn't sure which link you referred to, as both can inspire one to comment and joke about.

m'frog

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Easy Explanation

But wait, we may have goofed. :lick:

The Government spoke of trimesters in 2006 and 2007.
And including March I found 532 homicide cases in 2006 and 341 in 2007, resulting in a drop of 36% !! :bunny:
(not incl. the PN killings)

:confused:

Well, the March numbers for 2007 could not be accounted for, they simply weren't in yet.... :classic: :cheeky:

mountainfrog

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
An interesting take on things, I do believe.
Sh!tty ammo aside, when i read about that 33% drop I was doubtful...to say the least...but the news is the news...

Good to see some investigations turn up different scenarios. Remember these PLD creatures are masters of spin doctoring..

At the same time the prelates are decrying th fact that poverty is on the rise and public services are hardly in evidence, we have
-Huge outdoor advertizing telling us that our tax pesos are going into services and infrastructure.
-The Minister Mont?s telling us that this is a "poor country
-But the Internal Revenue offices are reporting record sums, up over 30%/35% from last year.

HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Makes you wonder, huh?

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Oh well, that explains everything mountainfrog! You compare a 3 month period with a 2 month period & you get a 33% drop. :laugh:

And no HB, I don't wonder any more. I just plain don't believe any Govt. stats. I see. ;) If I then have time I set about proving in my own mind that they're wrong.

Maybe we ought to have a permanent thread for disproving Govt. figures? It would be one useful contribution to 'integrity' which we could make. Particularly if there are any statisticians amongst us. Not that you need to be a statistician to see what they've done with the Procuraduria figures.

Those figures left a very nasty paranoid thought. The more 'criminals' the police take out, the better the Govt. figures look. See where I'm going...........? :paranoid:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Mountainfrog, am I seeing things? Has page 45 of the pdf you linked to in your original post disappeared? Or is it my computer?

You originally pointed us to P.45 where the summary made it clear how they had calculated. Yes? Well I've now downloaded the pdf 3 times and each time it stops at p.44. Please check it on your computer, in case it's a glitch on mine.

Do you think we have someone's attention? :speechles

Not that I want to appear paranoid.............

Last edited:

incredible

Jul 9, 2006
The 'resumen' is still there btw so it's something else removed which means document now finishes on p.44.

And yet another figure for percentage fewer homicides. Police Chief says 39%.
List?n Diario Digital - El peri?dico de los dominicanos

You can drive yourself crazy with the stats, I wouldn't be shocked if at least 30% to 50 % of all the crimes. in virtually all categories< (including violent deaths) go unreported...

Remember, there is virtually no transparency and this is the wild west!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
44 vs. 45

... Has page 45 of the pdf you linked to in your original post disappeared?....
You originally pointed us to P.45 where the summary made it clear how they had calculated. Yes? Well I've now downloaded the pdf 3 times and each time it stops at p.44.

Well, I don't think that something was deleted.
I saw that the document was supposed to have 45 pages and went to the last page where I found the information I wanted.
I mistook it for page 45 (the last page) but it obviously was page 44 (the last one).
Nothing out of the order for a DR document... ;)

m'frog

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
A Certain Percentage

... if at least 30% to 50 % of all the crimes. in virtually all categories< (including violent deaths) go unreported...
Remember, there is virtually no transparency and this is the wild west!

I agree.
I do know of murders that went unreported in the press and I very much doubt that were were accounted for in the statistics.
Your estimate does not seem unrealistic to me.

m'frog