visa flood...

Sep 19, 2005
my GF is going for a work visa....there is a company in Santiago that arrainges them for a fee. She is enrolled and waiting for her interview.

She just told me that tuesday 239 got approved!!! it was a short text message, so i dont know how many were regected....

we knew that last year one group went and out of 25 people one day, 24 were accepted....the one that got rejected had apparently lied about something on the application, and was is was found out some how.

pretty good %, and considering the wait for the permanent visa...seems totally unfair..

but I am just glad she will get a chance to come to america to see what all the hype is about and wether she can stand living away from family and friends.

bob

Sep 19, 2005
well i just talked to her again..and it was 300 applicants... and 7 got regected...

the reason for rejections were..apparently some had had some trouble at their university over something, and the others(dont know the number) didnt speak good enough english after all......

293 out 0f 300 get their work visas ....my GF is waiting for her call for her interview...sounds like good odds...her english is excellent, and she has had no issues with her university...

bob

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
How did she apply? Is it only through being a student at a university or anyone can do it? I have a female friend in the DR who speaks really good English and who I would love to see working in the US for some time. She is married and has children in the DR, so her illegally staying in the US would not be possible. Can you tell us about the process to apply for work visa?

Good luck to your girlfriend! I really hope she gets the visa to come to the US!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
well we had heard about the visa through the university, but we had also heard that some companies offered the applications to non students....but we really never trusted the info...

My Gf has friends that had friends that went through the process....but again we never got to actually talk to anyone that did it.

My GF did talk to a few people she knows that went through the process via the student visa....and who went through the work visa via of being a student...sounds the same , but they are not.

Well my GF takes advance english classes in santiago , and thats where this one company goes to ask if anyone would like to try and get the work visa...they make money doing this as it is their business. they charge about $2,300 US for the process. And i am sure they get soemthing from the end business who these applicants end up working for.

Apparently for the first time applicants, they only offer a visa that allows for teh applicant to ONLY work for the comapny on the visa...no others.

so you cant get the visa , get to america, then go where ever you want.
They have told her , if she gets the visa and follows all the rules and comes back. the the next time they give a J1 visa, which allows the applicant to work any place they want.

Since this company we paid is handling everything...we are at their mercy of answering questions....I am sure it is in their best interest to make sure the applicants actually work at the comapny in question. They have had several meetings in the DR so far to coahc the applicants, and to explain how this will all unfold when they get to the place they will work. They have explained the framework of where and who they will work for, where they will live and how they will get back and forth to work....most other details have yet to be explained.

I dont know if they would ecept someone with children.... I get the impression they want people with little to no strings, to mess up the plan to get the poeple to actually work the whole contract at the american employer...

so they frown upon american family and contacts and friends...thinking that those people will just fly when they get the chance...

bob

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Thanks for the info! So, there are companies that take care of the process in the DR for a certain fee. It is very interesting. Did they tell her about the work and how much she will be paid in the US and if she will be able to recover the cost?

Sep 19, 2005
howmar is there a list to describe all the different letter( and types of visa). I wish she could have gotten a J1 visa.

They told her she will work at a hotel or a resturant...I am not sure she has heard her exact pay...but figure it to be minimum wage, or less if they have some exhange agreement. They did say the applicants can earn extra money by working overtime..Of course the company will want the cheapest workers to put in the longest hours.

bob

Lady

Apr 13, 2007
How did she apply? Is it only through being a student at a university or anyone can do it? I have a female friend in the DR who speaks really good English and who I would love to see working in the US for some time. She is married and has children in the DR, so her illegally staying in the US would not be possible. Can you tell us about the process to apply for work visa?

Good luck to your girlfriend! I really hope she gets the visa to come to the US!

Hi Avrora, you just have to ask information to the dominican consulate and take a visa for employer but she has to have some company that can do to her a contract by work. and do the things by legal, she can take all the information here and she knows about the lowyer that can help to you also.

i hoppe you can take her with you soon

Lady

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Bob how long is the visa for and did they tell her what city she will be working in?

Sep 19, 2005
the Visa is an 8 month visa. And they tell her the town which is in Florida, unfortunately for us....but it should be an experience for her anyway...and even though the flights are cheaper there, for me to visit, Ill now have to pay for a hotel every night....that will wash out my savings on the flight.

we are hoping they only need her for 6 months, then ill fly her up to where i live until her visa runs out. What ever we do we dont want to break any of the visa rules, and mess up her future visa plans.

bob