Puerto Plata - history of mountain crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
I am interested in learning about the plane crash that has left its mark on the mountain--I did a search but don't seem to come up with anything. Each time I go there, I think to myself I must try and get the history of this, and then I don't. Thanks.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes that tragic crash occurred 3 days before we moved here in November 1992. The previous tenant in a house we rented was the widow of a doctor who lost his life in that crash. But if memory serves me correct the scar on Isabel de Torres wasn't caused by the crash. I think it happened a few months later in May 1993 during torrential rains which caused landslides.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Yes I also heard that the scar on the mountain is not due to the plane crash, I had thought the same thing for a while until someone knowledgable about the incident corrected me.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I am interested in learning about the plane crash that has left its mark on the mountain--I did a search but don't seem to come up with anything. Each time I go there, I think to myself I must try and get the history of this, and then I don't. Thanks.
If you are referring to the land-scar visible from Puerto Plata on the left side of the mountain & stretching from the top to about 300 meters or so down, ........ sorry, that was NOT caused by an air crash. It is the result of a landslide that occurred in May 1993.

The airplane that went into the mountain in November 1992 actually happened round the back of the mountain & wreckage of it was taken to Imbert - several parts of the wreckage were available to be viewed at the cafe/restaurant on the right side of the road in Imbert (travelling towards Santiago). The young lady that acted as our lawyer on the first house we rented here & who was the previous tenant of that house, actually lost her husband on that flight. ~ Grahame.
Oooops, I see the boss got in first!

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
surprised!!

I cannot tell you how many people (local people) have told me that the mark on the mountain was caused by an airplane (it even looks like the imprint of an airplane). Thanks for setting me straight. Does anyone live on the mountain?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I believe that the Cuban airliner that crashed into Isabela De Tores, crashed into the front side, either exactly or close to where we now see the scar.
I went to the scene of the accident either the following day or the day after.
The plane was planted deep into the mountainside, with a portion of it's tail sticking out.
There wasn't a single person overseeing or guarding the area, and we walked around and examined it and picked a few things up.
We drove up the mountain, and accessed the woods from the last steep portion that is paved, then walked a bit more towards the East, 2 or 3 minutes through the woods, to arrive at the plane.
At that time, there was little scarring, other than the impact area.
I contend that a lot of the top soil was torn away, along with vegetation, and that jet fuel spilled out and poisoined the land.
With time, the scarred area has grown larger.

Unless my sense of direction is completely out of whack, and that the last paved portion of the road to the mountaintop, is not on the North side, or at least, facing towards the ocean, then the plane hit the front of the mountain.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Correction time

After spending some time with alanindr & Google Earth, it is now clear to me that the approach to the mountiantop is not where I thought it was, as it approaches from the South West.
That being the road I took, to walk into the woods to the crash site, I was way West of the scarred area on the mountain, thus have been mistaken all these years, thinking the scar was from the crash.
Sorry for misleading anyone.
My sense of direction failed me.
Please don't throw stones.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
that must have been some thing to see - an airplane crash site.
don't know how it would have affected me seeing that and so soon after the crash

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
that must have been some thing to see - an airplane crash site.
don't know how it would have affected me seeing that and so soon after the crash
There was no evidence of people or bodies at that point.
There were some parts strewn around, like I found a toilet seat, for example, but for the most part it looked intact, with 15 or 20 feet of the tail section sticking out, and I guess the rest was embedded into the mountain.

Sep 19, 2005
does anyone know about the plane crash that happened In Li Cey Al Medio....on route 14 they have an engine and a propeller tied to a telephone pole to mark where a plane crashed many years ago...plus not far is another propeller tied to something to hold it up....

this crash if it did occur , would seem to be a long time ago, like the early 70 or 60s...I am not sure.
But now that this post came along my interest is renewed.

hope i didnt hijack the thread.

bob

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Yes, I remember it well!

My first trip to POP, November 1992 - on a fam trip - the air crash - the investigators basically took over POP Village Resort - all of a sudden 32 travel agents touring and staying in the newly opened resort (actually not even completely finished) were shoved aside because all attention was focused on the crash. I realize that it was a tragedy - just telling you how it was for all of us - I do feel bad for the victims, of course.

But... like Lambada and BushBaby say - the actual damage to the mountain side was caused by a massive landslide in May of 1993. I, by then, was living there and working at POP Village when I just happened to go back to Canada for a week (do you remember that Grahame?) (and to nurse a very nasty motoconcho burn on my leg) and missed it all! Came back and my first thought was "what the hell!" I stood on my balcony thinking - I leave and all hell breaks loose!! I was used to having my morning coffee sitting on the balcony looking at the mountain, and then its beauty (to me, at least) was taken away.

I could not believe what I saw.

Marlie

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
(and to nurse a very nasty motoconcho burn on my leg) and missed it all! Came back and my first thought was "what the hell!" I stood on my balcony thinking - I leave and all hell breaks loose!! I was used to having my morning coffee sitting on the balcony looking at the mountain, and then its beauty (to me, at least) was taken away. Marlie

Certainly remember the motoconcho accident since it was the driver of the bus I was tour guiding who caused it, I believe............:ermm:

Yes I too used to look at Isabel de Torres every morning - that's how I know the landslide happened overnight. One morning the mountain was green & the next it was brown. Literally happened in a day although we couldn't really see the full picture for a few days because it was raining so hard that there was very little visibility.

Marlie, if you've still got the first chapter of my book you'll find the story of the widow from the Ilyushin aircraft crash and how we met her.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Marlie, if you've still got the first chapter of my book you'll find the story of the widow from the Ilyushin aircraft crash and how we met her

I would never get rid of your writings - you know that!

Actually, though, you didn't send me that particular chapter!

Back to the mountainside slide- I just went back and looked at all my pics - how depressing that was to see how nature can rear its ugly head!

Marlie

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I don't look at that scar on the mountain as ugly. It's an event of nature and nature will alter it over time.

A natural phenomenon that I find a marvel is the run off of silt from the Ozama River in Santo Domingo after heavy rans which turns the ocean front brown for miles to the west. Others are repelled by this phenomenon.

Sep 19, 2005
ok I know this is late, but I was going through some of my photos and realize I took some photos of the scar while I flew into the country on AA.

I guess better late than never

4rc8uw5.jpg

4tjonc0.jpg

bob

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
That second pic is really good...........and I see the scar every day from my study window. Can you imagine what it was like when all the trees, brush, scrub etc came barrelling down into town?

Civil_777

Aug 20, 2008
Back in 2004, my girlfriend and I went on a crazy hike up that mountain and we happened upon whats left of the wreckage. We started our hike at the base of the mountain, near the starting point of the gondola ride. We got lost at some point and started hiking directly beneath the gondola. Then we hit the steep part of the mountain. It was actually so steep that we had to use our hands to pull ourselves up the mountain. At one point, I looked up and saw a pair of jeans hanging in a tree. I thought that was odd, but I continued hiking. Then, about 50 yards later, I looked up, and in front of me were two big cigar-shaped engines. They were in a small clearing on the mountain. Scattered around were small pieces of clothing and debris. I figured it must have been an airplane wreck, and my girlfriend took a picture of me standing on top of the engines. It wasn't until I reached the top of the mountain that I was able to confirm the plane wreck with the the gondola driver. I will have to post that picture as soon as I find it.

As for the scar on the mountain, that scar is on the other side of the mountain from the plane crash. The locals must have gotten the two events confused when they said the plane cause the scar.

Status
Not open for further replies.