Taxi hire for the day

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
When I was in Sosua a couple of months ago I ended up taking a taxi to Puerto Plata in a hurry to catch a fishing boat that had failed to pick me up. The taxi I got I happened to notice had been sitting there all day without a single fare. On the trip I asked the driver how much he would charge for the whole day on a fee plus gas basis to drive me around in the local area : Sosua, PP, Monte Llano, Caberete etc. He thought about it for awhile and said 500 pesos plus gas. That seemed very low but after all if he rarely gets a fare a guaranteed 500 might be worth it to him. That would make getting a car with driver just as cheap as getting a rental car with none of the worries about driving, liability, parking, directions, etc.

Does anyone have experience with taxi hire on this basis? Do any residents without cars have a few numbers of taxi's you rent for the day to take care of business? Was that just a low ball offer and it would really cost more? After all gas costs whatever it costs whether you put it in a rental car or a taxi and even if ithe hire cost twice that much, the car and driver would be cheaper than a subcompact rental without driver.

Sep 19, 2005
Id say that makes it a HELLL of a lot cheaper than renting a car.....

but i wonder really hopw flexible the driver can be..he has to eat and drink , and go to the john....through the course of the day....

if you get around like i do, i think you need your own car...I go out and never know when i am coming back 12midnight, 2 am 4 am maybe not at all, maybe i check into a hotel someplace for the night...and we make desicions on the spur of the moments.

But if you are staying in a city and staying local in that city....having a taxi waiting for you all the time for 500 pesos is a steal...I think

bob

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
When I was in Sosua a couple of months ago I ended up taking a taxi to Puerto Plata in a hurry to catch a fishing boat that had failed to pick me up. The taxi I got I happened to notice had been sitting there all day without a single fare. On the trip I asked the driver how much he would charge for the whole day on a fee plus gas basis to drive me around in the local area : Sosua, PP, Monte Llano, Caberete etc. He thought about it for awhile and said 500 pesos plus gas. That seemed very low but after all if he rarely gets a fare a guaranteed 500 might be worth it to him. That would make getting a car with driver just as cheap as getting a rental car with none of the worries about driving, liability, parking, directions, etc.

Does anyone have experience with taxi hire on this basis? Do any residents without cars have a few numbers of taxi's you rent for the day to take care of business? Was that just a low ball offer and it would really cost more? After all gas costs whatever it costs whether you put it in a rental car or a taxi and even if ithe hire cost twice that much, the car and driver would be cheaper than a subcompact rental without driver.
Taxi drivers for 500 per day would be extremely rare.
Bear in mind that you will be expected to feed him and keep him in beverages, and a tip would be expected too.
That being said, I still doubt you could find an all day taxi for 500 rd.