Expats: Legal or Illegal immigrants/expats?

Do you have acquired or plan to acquire your legal residency (temporary or permanent)

• I have acquired my legal residency.

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • I am in the process of acquiring my legal residency.

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • I am not in the process, but might do it someday.

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Me get legal residency? For what?!

Votes: 7 14.3%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Every new poll starting with the word "Expats:" will be part of a "series" of polls with the purpose of evaluating the habits of expats who live in the DR part or full time. The suggestion for this new type of poll comes from our very own GringoCarlos, although the topics may or may not be his.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are a part-time or full-time expatriate in the Dominican Republic, please be kind enough to participate in this poll.

Do you have acquired or plan to acquire your legal residency (temporary or permanent) in the DR?

A) I have acquired my legal residency.
B) I am in the process of acquiring my legal residency.
C) I am not in the process, but might do it someday.
D) Me get legal residency? For what?

-NALs

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
You need a category of: Well, I had my temporary residency after a lot of hassle, cost about $1,000usd plus 4 or 5 trips to SD and it lapsed while I was out of the country. When I returned and went to renew it I found out that I had to go through the entire process again and for what? The joy of doing this all over? Forget it.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
What kick-back is there on forwarding names of illegal immigrants to Migracion NALs? Might be a few pesos to earn on this poll!! ;) :pirate:

Is ANYONE going to be stupid enough to admit to their 'Illegal Status' on an open forum??:ermm: ~ Grahame.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
The primary reason for having residency status is employment. However, there is a loophole that states that if you own a Dominican corporation you are allowed to operate the corporation without having residency status. A few years ago there was also some talk (and possibly a law proposed and enacted) that that expats that have been here for many years were automatically granted residency status. Anyone know more about this? Also, other than perodically huffing and puffing, I don't think the government is particularly concerned about enforcing this and curtailing a source of much-needed investment, new people with money moving to the island.

Sep 19, 2005
for an official poll...it should be worded properly...

and it should read: Have you acquired.....(or)... Do you have a residency or plan...

and not : Do you have acquired....

sorry about bringing that up..

bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What kick-back is there on forwarding names of illegal immigrants to Migracion NALs? Might be a few pesos to earn on this poll!! ;) :pirate:

Is ANYONE going to be stupid enough to admit to their 'Illegal Status' on an open forum??:ermm: ~ Grahame.

Are we getting a little too paranoid here? ;) When you vote in a poll without posting in the thread no one knows the names of the voters. If the poll did reveal names of voters you would get a warning before you hit that button.

I'm sure Nals would love it if everyone would just vote without posting comments. ;)

Bob, I'm sure it was a mistake he didn't notice before he hit that post button. Like I said before, the poll questions cannot be changed once the poll goes up. Not even Robert can fix that;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Are we getting a little too paranoid here? ;) When you vote in a poll without posting in the thread no one knows the names of the voters. If the poll did reveal names of voters you would get a warning before you hit that button.
AnnaC, anyone with a functional brain would have noticed that. :cheeky:

The tail can't wag the dog.

AnnaC said:
I'm sure Nals would love it if everyone would just vote without posting comments. ;)
Comments are welcome as long that they stay on topic. ;)

-NALs

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org

Not paranoid at ALL Anna - didn't you notice all the 'smilies' I put in??

Okay, so I apologise for making some humour here. I went back to make homage by trying to make a vote (Without a comment to show how I pay attention) but I appear to have been locked out. Have you or NALs put a block on me voting now? Maybe it is something to do with me posting (& not voting) that has prevented me getting in to vote? Has anyone else had any difficulty registering a vote?

I really would like to show that I am a fully paid up member of this country, totally legal etc!! If I am doing something wrong at this end then someone PLEASE tell me what I have done to screw the system up! ~ Grahame.

Hmmmmm, I have just noticed that I can view the results of the pole by clocking on 'view results'. That USED to mean that one had actually MADE a vote (you can only see results when you have voted used to be the rule) does this mean that my memory is playing tricks on me & that I have actually MADE a vote? Maybe THIS is why I can not get in to vote ....... as I would be doing it again? ~ G.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Grahame,

1. A person can view the result of the poll without voting by simply clicking on "View Poll Results". It has been like that since the polls forum was started.

2. Contact Robert about your dilemma. Voters are not prohibited from voting, however everyone is allowed one vote. Perhaps you voted before? If not, contact Robert and he should be able to figure out what you did or if DR1 is simply playing games with your IP.

-NALs

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Worked For The Dominican Government For 10 Years as an "ILLEGAL"!!

They didn't seem to mind a bit!
They did however deduct all payoll taxes!
Guess they use the US Military Policy. "Don't Ask,Don't Tell"!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Hmmmmm, I have just noticed that I can view the results of the pole by clocking on 'view results'. That USED to mean that one had actually MADE a vote (you can only see results when you have voted used to be the rule) does this mean that my memory is playing tricks on me & that I have actually MADE a vote? Maybe THIS is why I can not get in to vote ....... as I would be doing it again? ~ G.
Not only did you vote already Grahame, but you volunteered to babysit all the member?s dogs on the North coast and contribute 10% of your income to future DR1 parties.

We all thank you very much!